Damsel Pattern

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by mr trout, May 26, 2005.

?

Your first reaction was....?

1. It'll Fish!

32 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Toss it and try again

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Step away from the vise, and nobody gets hurt...

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

I was gettin creative the other day and tied this up. What do you think? Please critque.

Attached Files:

2. Trevor

Trevor New Member

The tail wrapped around a bit and you can see the thread (I think) thru the thorax, but that's just aestetics. Looks like a sound pattern to me. It'll fish. :thumb:

The other Trevor...

3. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

Yeah, the thorax is made of a wooly chennile type stuff that I found. It tends to do that i think. I havent quite figured it out yet...
    tails...perhaps my weak spot. I tend to have issues with that - Any tips?

4. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Heh Trevor I always tie my tails in just shy of the traditional tie in point. At that very same spot I tie in my body material. What I do with the body material is make one complete wrap around your tails, at the usual tie in point, and then continue on with your body wraps. This way your tails are secured with the thread base and the body material is the very last wrap on your tails and therefore hides any thread base.

If that doesn't make any sense lemme know and I'll try to explain a little better. By the way great looking fly, my only preference with my damsel nymphs is that I use straight shank hooks. Keep up the work!!!

:cool:

5. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Pinch the barb and go fish it....

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I have bags of flies that look like that but I wouldn't put any of them on the end of my tippet. When you are in the learning curve of this thing you make many mistakes. And I have made many of them. I could save mucho bucks on hooks if I just cut the bad ones off the hooks :(

Jim

7. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Nice job, as Roper said, just pinch the barb and it is ready to fish.

While you are out there catching, spend some time to locate and observe some damsel nymphs. Watch how they move, how quickly do they sink or rise? How does their movement change when they are in a hurry? Which general direction do most of them seem to be moving? Take note of their prominent features. Color? You will notice that they are typically quite skinny, have nearly neutral buoyancy, have about six or eight legs, a three or four-part tail (actually gills), two prominent dark eyes and they don't have shinny heads.
    Fish can't count, so all you need to do is suggest those features.

Having said the above, I must say that for many years I used a very simple pattern that looked nothing like a real damsel nymph. It was my sure-fire, go-to damsel pattern and caught hundreds of trout on them in lakes all over the northwest. In the water, it looked to me like a green fuzzy blob with a few sparse hackle fibers. Who knows what the fish thought it looked like but it must have looked like dinner. As long as it was either rising or sinking near the weeds it attracted fish.

TC

8. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

I agree with needing to go figure out insects. I am usually too impatient and have to get to the fish asap though. Maybe sometime I will leave my rods in the car for an hour or so and just explore. Hopefully in the next year or so I will be taking a course in entomology in addition to the steamside ecology and fisheries courses i will be taking. Thanks - Trevor

9. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

There is no need to leave your rods in the car. Just go fishing in a tube and look in the water around you. A tube works best because it gets you closer to the water. You can take a small bug or aquarium net and some petri dishes or small jars if you want an extra close view but just by looking down over the edge of your tube, you can watch all kinds of aquatic life unfolding.
    If you don't have a tube, wade, cast, bend over and watch. The point is to just get your face/eyes near the water.

Be sure to hang on to your rod while watching bugs.
    Trout, like most game fish, have a very well developed sense of humor, they seem to know when you are distracted.

10. RedSpey

RedSpey Guest

It looks to me like it will catch fish. Give it a shot. As for damselfly nymphs, don't forget some "eyes." They're a defining feature of the damselfly and dragonfly nymphs.

11. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

The prepackaged, black plastic eyes are easy to use. But most eyes I've seen on natural damselfly nymphs are more a dark brown or olive; and I've heard that some look reddish. It's easy to take a 1/2" piece of heavy mono, preferably dark like Maxima Chamelion, hold it in the middle with tweezers or hackle pliers, and melt the ends with a flame. I make up a bunch at a time and store them.

Most naturals I've seen have olive bodies; that is, a brownish, dark mustard color. I just found a plastic bag just the right color, and I'm cutting narrow strips for a wrapped abdomen.

12. AFJBugger

AFJBugger New Member

I hit "Toss It, Try Again", since I never finish reading a sentence and always assume I know what I am talking about! I meant, "Toss It in the water and fish it!"
    Sorry for my hasty voting tendencies!
    -Adam
    :beer1:

13. I've gotten fish to bite much worse