Damsels in Distress

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by miyawaki, Jan 30, 2014.

1. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Excellent. After I patent the design, I will cut you in for a share of the royalties. You know all the major tying companies will want this in their repertoire. (And some major tackle company will make mini-helium tanks for refilling the flies in the field).
    Steve

David Dalan likes this.
  2. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

WOW - just - WOW! Trout fishing at it's finest.

Really shows why trout fishing with the fly is the best fly fishing there is.

3. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

At manzanita lake in lassen volcanic national park I saw a brown hunting adult damsels. It would launch out of the water and fling itself into the reeds. It was an incredible sight to see

4. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Great video; thanks for sharing! C'mon July! It'll be Montana on my fav Damsel waters & 'Bows instead of Browns, but heaven nonetheless. Man did that spike my adrenalin levels . . .

Wonder if there's a grant for this?

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  5. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

The breach at 1:38 reminded me of a steelhead on the Ronde that took the skated fly vertically and came 2/3 of the way out of the water.. Thanks for posting this, and thanks for the trip down memory lane.

6. GAT

GAT Active Member

Hinden-bug! I love it! :D

7. Preston

Preston Active Member

A few years back I watched a big brown at Dry Falls launch himself into the air repeatedly after a red dragonfly flying about a foot off the surface. Lacking a dragonfly imitation I tied on a damsel which he took at the very instant it touched the water. It was a very large brown (I estimated well over twenty inches) and after he towed my float tube around for a while, the leader parted. The damsel imitation proved to be the ticket that day and a few rainbows found it to their liking.

On several occasions (notably at Chopaka last year around mid-June) I've seen thousands of adult damsels hovering a short distance above the surface while trout tried to snatch them from the air while totally ignoring any adult patterns presented on the surface. My most successful solution has been to tie on an imitation of the teneral (the teneral is the early adult stage, lacking the intense coloring of the fully-developed adult. They are poor fliers, usually clinging to reeds or other foliage hanging above the water after having emerged from their nymphal shucks while they slowly mature to the fully adult form.

It wasn't a fish-a-cast proposition but but the fish were far more enthusiastic about taking them floating on the surface than fully-adult imitations. DSCF0073.JPG IMG_0873.JPG

8. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Preston, impressive story. Exactly how big was yor fly box that you had not only emergers and adults, but also the in-between stage?

9. silvercreek

silvercreek Active Member

I've seen trout take hovering damsels on Hebgen Lake just like in the video. You can take them using floss blow line fishing. The wind usually begins at about 10 AM. You need a float tube or boat to be in the right position but when the wind is in out to the lake, you can get the fly to the fish from shore.

"Blow line fishing" is a technique described by both Gary LaFontaine and Gary Borger.

Gary Borger wrote about it in his book, Presentation pg 286. In Gary Borger's technique you use untwisted polypropylene yarn that is flatten and ironed to straighten the fibers. Then you form a "kite" out of it by whipping finishing a loop into it and attaching it to the end of your fly line and then attaching 2 feet of 2x or 3x mono to the "kite". The heavy tippet material is to prevent break offs. The strikes are vicious.

When there is enough wind blowing from off shore, you raise your fly rod and the use the wind to make the fly hover and dap the water surface just like a hovering damsel fly.

You can read Gary LaFontaine's article below:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/lakes/part81.php

http://tinyurl.com/atpchr5

http://tinyurl.com/lemy5qj

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=floss blow line fly fishing&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I use a pattern that will sink. Damsel crawl under water to lay their eggs and they drown. Drowned damsels are rarely fished and the trout are not shy about taking them.

Here's what Jason Borger has to say about damsel patterns:

"One question that I/we often get about this fly (inspired by a pattern that my father saw in New Zealand back in the 1980s) is, “Why don’t you use foam for the post, it floats better?” The answer is based on years of observing damselfly hatches and is fairly simple: because sometimes we want the fly to sink. If that sounds odd, keep in mind that “dry flies” (or perhaps more accurately “dry insects”) sometimes aren’t so dry…."

Borger Damsel

I wrote about my approach to damsels on this post.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...325683-favorite-damsel-body-2.html#post574806

triploidjunkie and Irafly like this.
  10. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

That is amazing footage! I've seen a fish go after flying damsels like that, but only one jump. I am ready for lakes fishing now!

11. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

I wasn't sure what to expect when I opened this thread...
    A week ago my wife went to a "Party" hosted by one of her friends.
    It was a "Damsel in Distress" party and she came home with a taser and some pepper spray!

triploidjunkie likes this.
  12. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Mind your P's &Q's

triploidjunkie likes this.
  13. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Silvercreek - Yes I read Gary L's description on fishing with flat dental floss in mountain lakes, catching the anabatic winds and dapping the surface with terrestrials. I was f'ing impressed with the concept, and wondered just how much weed was consumed around the campfire dreaming it up. But (sez I), that just might work, dapping damsels on and above the water in a breeze. Now, we just got to get to the right lake (NZ?), at just the right time....
    Thanks for jogging the grey matter.

14. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

There is a book called "Dapping" written in GB I believe. In the states, dapping a Crane Fly on floss or traditional flyline with a long leader works for my friends in Idaho. I have also spent many a day dapping caddis in the downstream winds along the banks during the high summer waters of the Yakima in the canyon. I have also figured out how to hover damsels and dragons but need to test, possibly this summer.

Leland.

15. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Damn you Leland Miyawaki. That video just made me realize how depressed one could be because it has been far too long since getting a line stretched or even casting a damn fly.

I have slap cast large October caddis patterns in a few places, getting fish to launch to hit them when the fly is still airborne. Nice memory lane trip too.

Sorry for my first response. Thank you Leland Miyawaki, for reminding me what can and should be done much more often.

16. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

So Leland, you occasionally (& actually) carry floss? I've been fascinated with the idea but never tried it. I haven't read many of GB's books and I've heard Gary L was a famous kidder, so even though it all makes sense, I haven't taken the opportunity to give it a shot. I will though. Sounds like a fun ride whether it twerks or not.

miyawaki likes this.
  17. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

Serious fish wood!!!!!!! Very cool!

18. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

David,
    The book is called Dapping and is written by Robert Boyle. He describes the dental floss technique. I have only used a conventional flyline and a long leader and tippet.

Leland.

19. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

I have had success with bivisible flies under high wind conditions. They sit up high on the water and you can get them off the water fairly easily. The strikes are quite vigorous.
    Steve

20. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Dapping was indeed done in the UK and still is. In my quest for vintage reels I once passed on picking up a reel that was still loaded with floss. It didn't look like dental floss but was ...stringier, fuzzier than the dental floss we are familiar with. At the time I did a little research and discovered that this type of line was/is still available.

http://www.sportfish.co.uk/dapping-floss-line.html