Danielsson reels okay for tarpon?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Steel Will, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Steel Will New Member

Portland, OR
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I'm going after large tarpon in Belize soon. I'd like to use my steelhead reel which is a Danielsson H5D 9thirteen. Has anybody used this brand for tarpon? The drag seems plenty strong.
  2. cb3fish Banned or Parked

Santa Rosa , Calif
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Good luck with that
  3. Steel Will New Member

Portland, OR
    I'd value your opinion if you hadn't already established yourself as an a**hole.

4. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +800 / 1
    No experience with that reel, but the website certainly suggests that's what it's designed for. Honestly, Danielson is not the name that comes to my mind when thinking of great quality fly fishing gear -- but that may simply be a result of their lack of marketing...at least here in the RMW. If these are not listed as saltwater rated, take extra care to rinse really well after the days use. In fact, I do that even on my saltwater rated reels. Have fun and get ya some silver kings!
  5. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    danielson was the machine shop that made the original LOOP reels, hope that clarifies who they are.

not sure about tarpon but the sealed drag system should work in your favor. you should be setting your strike drag ahead of time at somewhere between 2 and 3#s as measured directly off the reel with a reliable scale. keep in mind that if you are losing line at a rapid pace, you need to be backing OFF the drag as the resistance of line in water is going to add considerable stress to your leader. let us know how the reel performed on you return. i have several of these well made reels and they have worked beautifully albeit for fish of smaller proportions.
  6. Joe Smolt Member

Bothell, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    Whether it will stand up to the run, the first question is whether you can load enough backing. I got the old video called tarpon talking about the early days they were catching tarpon on a fly. You probably have better gear than them. Funny sequence seeing Tom McGuane trying to palm a reel.

Salt reels are usually really simple so less can go wrong. I'd be less concerned about the reel and more concerned about my casting skills
  7. cb3fish Banned or Parked

Santa Rosa , Calif
    Yeap, I'm a real A-hole cause I wouldn't buy your beat up Abel reel....
  8. Steel Will New Member

Portland, OR
    What makes you an A-hole is the way that you treat people, not the fact that the trade didn't happen. Of the 4 messages you've sent me, all were negative, sarcastic and/or disrespectful. If you have nothing good to say, please don't say anything.

9. cb3fish Banned or Parked

Santa Rosa , Calif
    Whatever
  10. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    back on topic, if you are worried about the amount of backing on the reel, switch over to braid, 50# is what i spool with. my abel went from 300yds of 30# dacron to 500 yds of 50# braid. remember, if you do this keep your fingers out of the way, assuming you want to come home with all 10 still attached.
  11. cb3fish Banned or Parked

Santa Rosa , Calif
    GT,

Tha's what I use on all my Abel 12s.......500 yards of Power pro and whatever line I want.

Carl
  12. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +356 / 1
    It's nice to have a real quality reel but what do you suppose they did in the early years when Abel and some of the other major reel manufacturers were not yet in business? I have never had the pleasure of hooking or landing a Tarpon but I know that other big fish require a certain amount of pressure and skill to land. I'm sure that a good reel helps a great deal but you have nothing to lose but the fish and maybe a line. Try it. That will answer your question.
  13. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    the hardest part of tarpon fishing is setting the hook in that concrete block jaw. actually the old timers were using bogdans as there were precious few folks who had the time or money for this game. when you see the first 200yds melt away, you will be glad you have a reel with a drag system.
  14. cb3fish Banned or Parked

Santa Rosa , Calif
    GT,

I have always found that the hardest part of Tarpon fishing was to get the Tarpon to eat, after they eat, you just use the strip strike, the rest is pretty easy. my 2 cents
  15. Joepa Joe from PA

Can’t help you with your question, but it may not be a bad idea to get some spare parts for your trip just in case. I needed new carbon drag disks for my 8-12 (one was almost disintegrated). I sent them an email and had the parts back from Sweden in about 2 weeks – no charge.
  16. Salmo Trutta Member

Golden, CO
    Danielsson invented large arbor reels in 80's and then Loop was marketing and selling these reels. In late mid-late 90's Danielsson designed and was manufacturing so called Loop Evotec reels with multi-plate composite/stainless steel sealed drag.

In 2004 the marketing pack was dissolved and Loop gets its reels from Asia and Dainelsson makes it reels in the same Swedish factory. It is a family business.

For big game salt water fishing HD 9-13 and HD 11-14 were the bast and the drag was able to stop the train. In 2009 Danielsosn introduced newer H5D 9-13 or H5D 11-14, they have the same capacity as the earlier models and even better drag. Actually even on lighter on new L5W 8-12 ( the same spool as on H5D 9-13 ) when drag is at at level 4 or 5 , here so much resistance at maximum then you can barely move the spool. H5D have even stronger drag at level 5.

What is interesting then by flipping drag washers ( 9 composite and 10 stainless) you can change at drag range ( min. to max. ) so if you decide to fish steelhead or Kings the friction at different drag knob positions can be diminished. The drag knob rotate only 300 degree. THe reel can be emerged at 30-40 feet depth and seals won't leak !!!!!!!! There no need to meticulously wash the reel every evening with fresh water.

Danielsson has introduced multi-place sealed drag system in 90's , which was mimic by Nautilus and in recent years by Hatch reel.............. These Swedish reels ( LW, HD , L5W, H5D and anti-reverse Control ) are the most reliable reels in the market and if you do a search on at speypages.com they have on outstanding reputation. Entire Scandinavia fishes aDanielsson reels for large fresh run Atlantic Salmon and these are the most popular reels in Europe, New Zealand and Australia.

Sean, speypages.com co-owner with 70 lb Tuba landed on Danielsson HD 11-14

http://speypages.com/speyclave/showpost.php?p=198315

View attachment 49066

Here are spec of these reels and if you can effort anti-reverse Control go for it :

capacity refers to DACRON BACKING

http://www.danielsson-flyreels.se/index.php?page=hd-serien-teknisk-fakta&lang=en

http://www.danielsson-flyreels.se/index.php?page=hd-serien&lang=en

http://www.danielsson-flyreels.se/index.php?page=ct-serien&lang=en

http://www.danielsson-flyreels.se/index.php?page=ct-serien-teknisk-fakta&lang=en

Attached is pdf with line/backing capacity of all reels in metric system ( 1 m = 1.1 yard )
  17. YAMMY Member

Abbotsford B.C. Canada
    I have found Tibor reels to stand up the best-simplicity.Tarpon can reach sppeds of 48 MPH--if you want to se what happens to a Danielson go to You Tube where they hook lines up to a motorcycle and take off up to 50 MPH--worth seeing what stands up to the test.I use the Guldstream Reels for Tarpon and the Pacifica or Pate Marlin reel for Marlin.
  18. cb3fish Banned or Parked

Santa Rosa , Calif
    Yammy,

I have heard of that test, however in the test I watched they were using MAKO....Not Tibor, Maybe there was more then one?

Carl
  19. shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

45th Parallel NW Michigan
    Ratings: +23 / 1
    Steel Will, did you make the trip? and if so how did the H5D 9thirteen perform?
  20. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    Ratings: +94 / 0
    SW, since you are already sold (or trying to sell
    this site) on how good the Danielson reel is then
    use it.

Fly for 14 hours, spend big bucks on a guide,
    hunt for fish, and take your cast. Why take
    a chance when there are plenty of reels we
    all know will do the job. That just isn't one
    of them. I'd bring backup.

Dave