Dash Point - Small water Craft

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Stephen Rice, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Stephen Rice Senior Member

Wasilla, Alaska
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hey does anybody know if it would be okay to use a pontoon boat out there? I was looking at the campground site and it said you can use small boats out there like canoes and Kayaks. :confused:
  2. Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    Stephen, I regularly use my pontoon on Puget Sound, Hood Canal and local estuaries. I am always very aware of the tide and the wind. Just pay close attention to how fast the water is moving. Winds can come up very quickly that turn a relaxing row into a battle to get back to your launch site. Good luck, Steve
  3. Stephen Rice Senior Member

Wasilla, Alaska
    Thanks for the advice. I kinda figured the tide and wind would play an important role. I will double check the tide charts before goingout just to be on the safe side.
  4. Roger Stephens Active Member

Ratings: +277 / 0
    Stephen:

During daylight hours the winds on Puget Sound are usually lightest at daybreak and dusk which would also coincide with the best times to have success fishing on the Sound during these sunny days. If you fish in the morning on a hot sunny day, keep on eye out for the wind coming up quickly from the north.

Hope that you have a successful outing.

Roger
  5. shgrier Hooker of ducks

Sultan, WA.
    :ray1: Be careful with Dash Pt. You're VERY close to the shipping lanes there :eek: - I'd want at least a trolling motor on my pontoon if I was going out there.

I'm thinking about heading out there next weekend, if the rains don't come and give the fish a chance to start up the rivers :beathead: ...

Sean
  6. Stephen Rice Senior Member

Wasilla, Alaska
    thanks I will definitely keep a heads up !
  7. Teeg Stouffer Fish Recycler

Omaha, NE / Council Bluffs, IA
    I'm pretty familiar with that area specifically, and I can tell you that north of the pier, you're almost certainly going to be fine. The tide does move through there, but you'd at least be able to beach (unless tide gets real high, then there is a sea wall). I haven't seen any real rips on the beach between the park and the pier, although I'm sure that some form. For the most part though, it's gradual slope there. However, south of the pier, the tide rips get real strong, and they want to push out toward the middle of the sound - off the point. This would push you into deep water, strong currents, and shipping lanes.

So south of the pier, you'd wanna be real careful.