DASH POINT WFF GATHERING 8/8

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Sean Beauchamp, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Sean, Troutrageous (Eric) and I were there for this. Absolutely frustrating having thousands of fish out just a little too far

2. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

Yeah so Ive heard the last hour of the incoming is suppose to be the best?????? Mind as well go and try it. Been there when they were jumping all over just not into my stripping basket!

3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

the sun was what killed it today. we were hooking up all over the place on another beach right until the sun came out. it was depressing

4. Tom Johnston

Yeah it was not over cast like yesterday. Thats whats keeping them out deeper.

5. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

evan, after i met you and sean (as you were leaving), my buddy and i crushed them, it really picked up around 4pm,
    we had our limit and easily a half dozen each before we left at 5pm tonight.

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

right on, i had another friend that did too. i work graveyard shift though, and had to get home to nap like the pansy i am. i'll be back out that way in the morning to sean, eric and i's super secret beach

7. jason_ting

jason_ting New Member

was there(dash point pier) this evening with very little luck. lots of ppl throwing lines all over the place with little casting skill...

8. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

the guys in toons out of the state park were doing ok this afternoon... had a tough go as the fish seemed to be out a ways today...

9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

look at this fat hawg my buddy pulled in tonight on a 6wt. guesstimate 6-8lbs

10. Denny

Denny Active Member

How about those guys who frequent this website who are adamant a person doesn't need to cast further than 40' because fish are only caught within that distance? Learning to cast for distance can be a valuable thing . . .

11. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I usually cast about 70-80 feet but have found that most takes are within the 40 foot range. That means either the fish are following the fly in or they are within that range. Judging from the jumpers this morning, I'd say the fish were in about 50 ft off shore. It depends on time of day and the movement of the tide. Longer casts obviously get to the fish further out but there are times when they are 20 feet off shore in 4 ft of water. Those are my observations over the past three runs at Dash Point. It could vary depending on location as well.

12. herl

herl Member

Dash pt was pretty dead this AM. I saw 4 or 5 landed for 50 or so anglers.. 6-7:30am.

There were 5 fly anglers out that I saw, said hi to Steve. Nice guy.

13. Tom Johnston

Fished late yesterday again. Fish were still way out there. Saw a couple pontoons out there. Went over to the pier and saw about 10 hooked and a few landed. The pier looked like a scene from the Texas Chainsaw Massacure! Saw a nice silver picked up by a gear guy. Will hit it again in a few days when the rain happens!

14. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Did ok yesterday by myself fishing BP area again though it took a while to get into the fish and they are still spotty traveling in groups of 4 or 5 rather then big packs. Was pretty cool watching them swim under me. Brought one home for dinner using lime juice, fresh from our garden sage, and butter. This fish was caught brought to beach still in net by paddling one handed then gutted and cleaned and put on ice before going back and fishing for a while again. Very tasty dinner.
    Also a small leak that been in kayak for quite a while is getting worse but I was able to locate it finally and will patch tonight before going back out maybe on Wed. Might hit a less crowded area if I do. I have time to fish tonight if I wanted to, but 12 hours over two days paddling and casting and my arms are a little rubbery. I had not spent much time in the kayak over past couple months fishing instead on boat or on creeks.
    Amie stayed home on Sunday saying she was to tired which meant I got a rare chance to fish on my own for a change.
    Noticed that the boats were closer to the beach on Sunday vs Saturday when I was heading out and back in to the light house. Many were is casting range of many of the gear guys. In fact it seemed to be very crowded at the point.

15. Nice to meet all who I met on Saturday. I was glad I moved down the beach. Hooked three, landed one for the grill. I had to get the flounder-stink off somehow.

From what I can tell that "secret area" down the beach is actually Steve's property so..... thanks, Steve for letting us fish it.

Monday 8/10 Report

Pretty dead this morning. Quite a few jumpers but very few hookups for the entire group. I tried to get back to "Steve's flat" but the tide was too high and also incoming. Had to bail out back towards the park. None for me today, but I will be back tomorrow.

16. Arthur Vakulchik

Arthur Vakulchik Young Gun

nice to meet you out there Ron! glad you got some fish! and i was wondering, what reel were you using? that was really nice looking. it looked like a mix between a ross and a galvan.

arthur

17. I was using a Galvan Torque - I have tried lots of reels in the salt and I love the Torque. I am unforgiving with gear and I fish about 4 days a week during salmon season. I hardly ever rinse it with fresh water, and it works as good as the day it was new. The only thing I ever do is clean the line about once a week.

18. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

the "secret spot" isn't actually steve's property. it's actually not associated with dash point at all. it was something troutrageous Eric found by chance. and sorry guys, having fished that beach a few days in a row with no other people has been such a relief. we have to keep this one to ourselves.

19. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

So how many actually showed up.

20. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

i'd say 15+

the main group of us were posted up closer to the pier and when i got out on the boat i found another group out on the point. sounds like many of those folks were also out for the same reason but parked at the state park instead and fished there. not too bad.