Dave Scadden Boats

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Kiwi Phil, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Kiwi Phil Antipodean Piscator

Tauranga, New Zealand
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I'm interested to know what people think of these pontoon boats. I've been doing a fair bit of reseearch online and keep coming back to the Skykomish Sunrise as a (what seems to be) good allround and solid stand-up pontoon. My problem is I live in New Zealand (yep, a long way away) where literally no-one sells these sort of boats. So I'm kind of having to go on faith. Any first hand experiences of the boats and the company would be appreciated. Oh yeah, Cabela's seem to do a pretty good deal on the boat (and freight which is $$ to NZ) - what are they like to deal with?
  2. Joe Fitzpatrick Member

Puyallup, WA
    I've had my Skykomish Sunrise for 2 years now and absolutly love the boat. I have yet to float a river with it, but I have a friend (Steve Egge) who's on the board, that will tell you it's fantastic.

So far, I've lake fished with it and have mounted an electric motor on her. Handles like a champ. I love the ability to stand up and fish. A real plus in my eyes. After 2 years I haven't had any issues with the boat. There are a few things I would recommend though. First off, get the 7 inch seat riser. It really helps you get up on the standing platform and for me (5'10") I don't have any problems rowing. Check out this link for other things I recommend:

http://www.classv.net/scaddenpontoonboats/pontoontipstricks.html

I also bought mine at Cabelas and they were great. For me, the package arrived with damaged oars and they replaced them without any problems.

In February I attended the fly fishing show in Bellevue WA and had a chance to talk to Dave himself. GREAT guy. He gave me his 2 new DVD'd which showed some of the techniques he uses. If you can get your hands on these, I recommend it. Pretty cool stuff.

Good luck and if you have anymore questions, just ask
  3. kelly cunningham No Pebble

Olympia, WA
    last saturday there was one in the cabela's bargain barn-$738, i think they wanted for it... pretty good deal.
  4. Kiwi Phil Antipodean Piscator

Tauranga, New Zealand
    Thanks for the positive feedback and good info guys. I've since searched through the board (should have done it first ;) ) and found a lot of references -most good - but some very negative about customer service. The Skykomish seems to get mainly very positive feedback - so I'm hoping that if it is sold by Cabela's I will have a good experience. Joe, how do oars manage to turn up damaged??? Was this from the transport or manufacturing?
  5. Joe Fitzpatrick Member

Puyallup, WA
    It was from transport. They have aluminum shafts and one of the ends got crushed....
  6. Kiwi Phil Antipodean Piscator

Tauranga, New Zealand
  7. Kiwi Phil Antipodean Piscator

Tauranga, New Zealand
    I've just sold the stuff online that I needed to fund this purchase. So I have decided to buy the Skykomish sunrise from Cabela's. I hope it goes well, and will post a message when I have it to let you know how i get on.

Joe, thanks for the good info.
  8. Joe Fitzpatrick Member

Puyallup, WA
    Thats great news!!!!

I don't think you will be disappointed. Let me know how things go or you have any other questions...

Also, You might want to print out the instruction on how to put the boat together from Dave's webstite. Pictures a little more clearer than the ones you get in the kit:

http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/skykomishassembly.html
  9. Kiwi Phil Antipodean Piscator

Tauranga, New Zealand
    Thanks again for the good info Joe. Those instructions look straght foraward enough. I have another question for you - what is the best way to store these things when not in use? Can they be stored with the pontoons rolled up, or should they be left with air in them? Storage space in our already crowded garage is at a premium....

By the way, I'll take some photo's of my first excursion and post them here - I can't wait!!
  10. segge Member

Puyallup, WA
    I store mine with air in pontoons and "hoist" it to the top of the garage with "bicycle" lifts.

I think it is bad to deflate and fold them for a long periods ... if you deflate them then store them flat ... not folded.

just my opinion.

Steve Egge
  11. Kiwi Phil Antipodean Piscator

Tauranga, New Zealand
    Thanks Steve. Sounds like good advice - my instinct tells me that leaving plastics folded for a time can't be good for them. Iwonder what the manufacturers have to say? I'll flick Dave Scadden an email and see what the policy is. Cheers!
  12. Joe Fitzpatrick Member

Puyallup, WA
    Damn Steve....Beat me to the punch.....:mad:

Steve is right...Storing them with air is the best way to go. I'm lucky because I have a 2 car garage that I put my boats in, so I just put enough air in the tubes to keep their form and set it on top of my drift boat. Make sure you don't fill to capacity when storing them. You want to let the pontoons expand and contract based on temperature and humidity.
  13. speyfisher Active Member

State of Jefferson U.S.A.
    Ratings: +139 / 3
    storing toons

I used to have a big cataraft that I stored outside. Pain in the butt. Had to keep it covered. Constantly monitor inflation pressure. And the wind and UV would trash the cover so I had replace it every year.

I store my toon in the garage. Made a pulley system incorporating an enexpensive winch. It now hangs from the ceiling and I can drive a car in under it.
  14. Kiwi Phil Antipodean Piscator

Tauranga, New Zealand
    That sounds like good advice Jo and Speyfisher. I have a high retaining wall behind the house that could work as a place to hang the raft from (under a cover) if I can't squeeze it inside. UV rays in NZ are really fierce, so keeping light off it will be important if I take that option. Garage sounds best.
  15. Jon Brengan flyfishing addict

Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Since you're in NZ, have you looked at the Incept boats - its not a pontoon but could be actually more stable than a pontoon and is alot less weight, no frame to lug around. I looked into these when looking for a boat to pack into those remote area that would allow you to still take a sufficient amount of gear with you as well. Incept is built in NZ, could be a lot less money for you than buying a pontoon and shipping it halfway around the world.
    JB
  16. Jon Brengan flyfishing addict

Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I know you're sold on this boat but I have heard some bad things about the diamond plate that slides up to make the standing platform. for one thing its not that easy to slide forward and another guy who's had the boat was bitching about how slide part rubbed the powdercoat off the frame and this has now developed rust. I don't know if anyone's else experienced this or if using a little WD40 would just eliminate this hassle my friend had. Sounds like a solid boat otherwise.
    JB
  17. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Kiwi, Check my reply to Mattdunn in Pontoon Claims. If you've not ordered from Cabelas yet, I'd call Dave Scadden (www.northforkoutdoors.com) & see if he'll offer any deals. I got a sweet one last year. Maybe he'd like to see it in NZ??
    I love mine. JB, I had a bit of scuffing, thats what touch-up paint is for. Aluminium rust?? I did have a broken weld after 2 months on the standing platform, Scadden shipped a new platform immediately, no service problems here! K-Pumps rock & be sure you get a low pressure gauge. NRS has them for about $30, fast shippers, too. You'll not be able to judge 2-3 PSI recommended pressure. I thought mine was tight at 1.5 before checking. a good investment. I run at 2-2.5 in stillwaters, 2.5-3PSI in moving (fast) water.
    These boats are not a Steelheader, but for the $ they are good value and well engineered.
    Tight lines!
    :beer2:
  18. Kiwi Phil Antipodean Piscator

Tauranga, New Zealand
    Hey Guys
    Thanks for the further info. To be honest this has become a mission! Because I live in NZ, I've run into a classic Catch 22 with Cabela's. They have a policy that they will not allow you to buy a product that has to air freighted overseas unless it is in stock. Sounds fair - except that the Skykomish seems to be permanently on back-order at Cabela's! So, I waitied 3 weeks for them to come into stock, went to order and found they'd pushed out to 6-7 week delivery!! I contacted Cabela's and they say I have to wait and hope. Not my style I'm afraid - I leave that to when I'm fishing!

Contacted Dave Scadden direct and he can deliver in 2-3 weeks but his freight costs are much higher than Cabela's. Soooo, this has led me to look at alternatives. Currently I'm liking the look of the Bucks Bags Extreme 11 and the Pac 1000. For me, the BB seems a little ahead because of the Stainless frame which seems to be very solid. I'm thinking that the larger diameter 'toons and more solid contstruction will handle river conditions a bit better than the Skykomish - and I'm not sure how often I'd use the stand-up feature. The BB has a stand up frame as an option if need be. Both BB and Pac have urethane bladders, good 'toon material and seem well reviewed. Just waiting on shipping quotes then I'll likely order.

ALos contacted Bill Day at Skookum - really nice guy and very responsive. Man I'd love a Steelheader, but the freight etc just blows my budget for now.

By the way, the Incept is actually made here in NZ. This is there site: http://www.incept.co.nz/waterstrider-inflatable-fishing-raft.htm

You'd think it would cost less here as a result....nope! They list it at NZ$1872 here (our dollar is about 80c US). I'm not going to have my 'toon in time for my next trip in 2 weeks, so I'm actually borrowing an Incept boat. I'm still leanig towards the 'toon though - I like the idea of being a bit out of the water and being able to row flat water easily. Oh yeah, Dave Scadden let on that his bladderless 'toons are made in NZ by Incept. Says something for their construction.. Incept re-sell his boats here - but too expensive.

Oh yeah (sorry for the rant - I've had too much coffee!) I spotted this yesterday - http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11429161/Kodiak_Raft_Fishing_Boat_Package.html - it shows the Watermaster Kodiak - apparently made in Indonesia for US$710 dollars. Is that for real? Thought it was made in the good ol' US of A? I could be wrong here....
    Any thoughts on the PAC/BB comparison would be appreciated.

Cheers,
  19. trfishin New Member

K wyoming
    I live in Wyoming and was and the international sportsmens expo a couple of weeks ago in Utah and I looked at the Dave Scadden boats and they look nice but the prices are pretty steep. I also read on another website that I'm registered on that a few people that had Dave's boats said the boat was great but the seats were really uncomfortable and they ended up buying a different brand pontoon boats.
    I'm thinking that the pack master pontoon boats are if I remember right they had at the expo fold up into a back pack and they where expensive but looked well built and a great idea.
    I did'nt see anywhere on here about talking about other websites so I hope I don't get in trouble But the www.bigfishtackle.com website has reports and you can ask questions on there about anything. There is also a lot of info. on fly fishing there in Utah and I and I think that there is also a place above all the state listings that also has some more fly fishing information.
    I hope it's okay to share other websites for people to look at. I'm not trying to take people away from this website just trying to let you find some info. about places you may have never been and might want to get some more info. That's why I joined you great website because I love to learn new things all the time even if it's across the world or usa you can often find info. to help your fishing success.
    Good luck fishing and tight lines
  20. luckybalbowa Member

Kamas, Utah
    How much is the freight costing you? Would it be cheaper to hire someone to wield you a pontoon frame to your specs?