Dave Scadden Pontoon Boats, proper business practice? You be the judge!

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by davec, May 17, 2010.

1. garyl

garyl Member

For what it's worth. I had never dealt with Dave or NFO before so I can't comment on past practices. However, I called Dave last Friday, ordered a Rampage, fins, bag, and motor mount and it showed up on Tuesday afternoon as promised. No issues, no missing parts. Looks like an awesome boat and I can't wait to get it out and try it. I certainly will do business with Dave and NFO again.

2. Michael Nelson

Michael Nelson Old And In The Way

Home Page:
    The beginnings of my relationship with NFO were a bit rocky, and I admit my impatience added to the stress level.

That said, Dave has taken TERRIFIC care of me since those beginning stumbles, with some of the BEST customer service I have ever had. For instance, my Rampage developed a leak. I was not able to locate it in spite of having gone over it repeatedly with soapy water. I decided I was going to have to send it in for repair and emailed Dave about it. His response came the next morning... he said he had issued a UPS call tag, and could I please box up the boat (without any accessories) and UPS would pick it up the next morning. They did, NFO had the boat for one day and fixed the leak (it was a small hole down inside a crease) and sent it back the same day. Two days later I had the boat back, NO CHARGE. They paid shipping both ways and did the repair for free.

That's just one example of several great experiences with them (specifically with Dave himself) since the initial bumps in the road.

3. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Media:
    That's great to hear. Any idea if those Carlise Lightspeed oars you got might be available in a 3 piece configuration? A buddy of mine got a 3 piece oar for his Cardiac Canyon, but I don't see them on their website.

4. Michael Nelson

Home Page:
    The website is way behind reality. You would need to call Dave about the oars, sorry!

5. Michael Nelson

Home Page:
    Gary, I'm betting you'll enjoy your Rampage as much as I have enjoyed mine. It's a very cool boat. BTW, getting it into the rolling duffel can be a challenge until you know exactly how to fold it. Luckily, Dave recorded a video that is on youtube and shows exactly how. If you do it that way, it fits easily.

6. Reeltrout

Reeltrout Member

Home Page:
    I have also experienced nonexistent customer service from Dave Scadden on multiple occaisons. I would not recommend doing business with him but he does make a great product.

7. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Sorry to those who have been underwhelmed for whatever reason.

But I had no issues buying and receiving the two boats I ordered from Dave over the past couple of years (Renegade and Predator).
    The service was great, courteous and responsive and the boats are awesome for my intended use.

I felt a need to provide a balance to these threads for anyone considering a boat from Dave.

8. Riverman

Riverman Member

I've always had excellant service from Dave. The demand for his boats have been tremendous, as he designs and builds a great product.

9. SpeyFitter

SpeyFitter Active Member

I wouldn't call a buying a boat and receiving it via shipping much of a "service" but to each their own. To me that is just a sale which is an obligation - you pay money for a product, you receive product.

Service to me involves no money transaction and is when shit hits the fan and the continuation of your trip hangs in the balance and the people at the company that offer you the warranty on your product you bought from them go to reasonable or at times great lengths to ensure they get you warranty replacement parts in a timely manner so your down time is minimized. I've heard several stories of Outcast Hot Shipping warranty parts like bladders to guys in remote fishing destinations. And knowing you can count on them in this timely honouring of their warranty is what I call true service. Again, I use the term Ownership experience.

I would like to add that when you buy your boat you are also paying for a warranty. Warranty is also an item you receive on an as needed basis, if required, within the time period allotted. Do you want it the hard way or the easy way?

10. Greg Armstrong

In all due respect, I didn't find it necessary to offer all the details here in my favorable transactions with Dave.
    In 23 years of running a successful retail establishment I think I know what good service is...

11. SpeyFitter

SpeyFitter Active Member

Greg, I don't want to spend time getting technical or bitching about the differences between little words. But you use the term "favorable" to describe your "transactions" with "Dave." (aka NFO, right?).

To me a transaction usually involves the exchange of money for a good or service to be provided. I'm talking about warranty service where warranty is part of what you purchase months, or years previous, and timely service in honouring such a warranty, let alone even acknowledging requirement for said warranty service, is paramount.

I'm happy you are happy with "service" provided. If you're happy with where you spent your money, all the power to you - it's your f*cking money. I'm not telling you where or what to do with it. But I still don't call buying a boat and getting it much in the way of service, which is what you suggested earlier.

Dan Nelson likes this.
  12. Greg Armstrong

13. SpeyFitter

SpeyFitter Active Member

You know when you help your buddy move, hell even let him use your truck, and he's all nice buddy buddy with you and life is good, and you're the best guy in the world. But when the time comes to return the favour he's no where to be found and suddenly very, very busy?

That, in a nutshell, is what we are talking about here.

14. Greg Armstrong

Speyfitter,
    I began my dialogue with you by using the word "respect" in reference to you - and I meant it.
    It's really too bad it didn't go both ways.

fisshman26 and Dan Nelson like this.
  15. SpeyFitter

SpeyFitter Active Member

Respect isn't the issue here.

16. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Hahaha! Are you guys actually arguing over/on a four year old thread? Fishing must be slow right now.

17. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

Wow! You searched the archives to revive a 4 year old post just to post an ambiguous statement: "experiencing something nonexistent?! Why don't you just say what you weren't happy about buying your Assault? Greg Armsrtong: just ignore Speyhead; there is no reasoning with someone who's only interest is getting on his little soapbox to trash NFO anytime he can. I see he's back to posting his equipment again....what a joke.

18. SpeyFitter

SpeyFitter Active Member

"Sportsman" - it seems to me that in your world if someone owns a boat other than NFO they are guilty of trashing NFO.

Respect to me on discussion forums is when you make a point you provide some development behind it to prove your point.

19. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

QUOTE: "Sportsman" - it seems to me that in your world if someone owns a boat other than NFO they are guilty of trashing NFO. Speyhead, find ONE post or a response to a thread that I have made that gives any credibility to this stupid statement that you have written, I will gladly apologize to the offended parties. I will save you the time looking back through the archives because you won't find it and you can save your apologize, for it will be as hollow as you are. I give you credit for your knowledge of pontoon crafts and for some insightful observations, but including in every response the raft and rods you use is strange to say the least and makes the casual observer wonder WTF. Your continuous postings to make us aware of a white water safety class or whatever, that is being held somewhere in BC....why do you bother? We get the same classes right here in the USA, on the rivers we run and don't waste our time, gas money or have to screw with the Border....what makes you think any of us would want to spend our hard earned money or time, going to Canada?! Just so you know: I have been fair and balanced on all my threads long before I bought any NFO product. I bought a used Renegade 5 months ago and while I had talked with Dave prior to that, at a couple of shows, he and Derek have treated me with amazingly great customer service. It makes me wonder how a new customer would be treated in any other way? Your observations on your perceived shortcomings of the heat welded oar mounts has been duly noted, many times over to the point it seems it's your life work. Dave does pay 'pros' to run his rafts in the rapids he claims they are capable of, and guess what, they make it time and again! Just because you and whomever say they wouldn't ever try it doesn't mean shit, because other people have done it, the rafts are capable, it just depends who is on the sticks.

20. SpeyFitter

SpeyFitter Active Member

Speyhead, find ONE post or a response to a thread that I have made that gives any credibility to this stupid statement that you have written, I will gladly apologize to the offended parties. I will save you the time looking back through the archives because you won't find it and you can save your apologize, for it will be as hollow as you are.

Note - I said it "it seems to me", keyword being "seems" - which suggests it is an observation on my part based on previous stances you've taken on many topics, one of which is in your very response which I will reference below.

I give you credit for your knowledge of pontoon crafts and for some insightful observations, but including in every response the raft and rods you use is strange to say the least and makes the casual observer wonder WTF.

A shot you have taken at me, conveniently in your response, which speaks volumes about YOU- why didn't you take this shot as soon as you saw this in my signature? Why now?

Your continuous postings to make us aware of a white water safety class or whatever, that is being held somewhere in BC....why do you bother? We get the same classes right here in the USA, on the rivers we run and don't waste our time, gas money or have to screw with the Border....

Please post references to links on this forum or other where courses have been advertised and held previously in Washington by reputable whitewater rafting companies that use certified professional guide trainers to train pontoon/driftboat anglers on how to run rivers? If this was an issue, why didn't you mention this in the 2 times I have advertised these courses to date, or at least post links to similar relevant Washington Courses? Perhaps because you came out of the gate "swinging" like a wounded dog looking for anything and everything you can use to try and take a shot at me? Again - this speaks volumes about YOU.

what makes you think any of us would want to spend our hard earned money or time, going to Canada?

If there was a course advertised or offered and it was in Washington instead of BC I would sign up for it. Call me an angler without borders perhaps?. Also, why would anyone in Washington who owns a fly or spey rod want to go to Canada? Hrmm.....Gee - lets think about that one. Especially the Thompson? Or the Skeena, or the Dean, or the Nass (and the many fabled tributaries) - you know, the same rivers that have been written about by MANY Washington Fly & Spey Angling guru's? Nevermind the tourists...etc..

! Just so you know: I have been fair and balanced on all my threads long before I bought any NFO product. I bought a used Renegade 5 months ago and while I had talked with Dave prior to that, at a couple of shows, he and Derek have treated me with amazingly great customer service.

I am happy you are happy with how you feel you have been treated. If you've found gold keep it. No one can be faulted for that.

It makes me wonder how a new customer would be treated in any other way?

Warranty Service to me is paramount and reflects the real attitudes of a manufacturers towards their "customers." (if they offer a warranty).

Your observations on your perceived shortcomings of the heat welded oar mounts has been duly noted, many times over to the point it seems it's your life work.

For regular Class 3-4 whitewater use glued on pin oar pads have limitations to the more traditional framed oar lock or pin/clip systems. If these threads keep coming up I will keep posting relevant information to help people make an informed decision much like you will do the same with your opinion, right? For the record I am not against them or frameless craft - to be so short sighted would be to hinder the growth of the sport of drifting rivers in inflatable craft - that is not what I am about. I understnad why guys might prefer frameless and all that. I just think if you're going to potentially be drifting more gnarly rivers you will be safer in a framed craft (or R-2ing it in a raft, etc.). Which brings us to the next point...

Dave does pay 'pros' to run his rafts in the rapids he claims they are capable of, and guess what, they make it time and again! Just because you and whomever say they wouldn't ever try it doesn't mean shit, because other people have done it, the rafts are capable, it just depends who is on the sticks

I ask you to provide proof - video perhaps - of NFO craft rated for Class 5 whitewater being run in Class 5 whitewater by 'Pros.' In fact, I would pay money to see such a video! Or did you just take word at face value? Certainly ability plays apart but I don't think you even have a fighting chance against Class 5 whitewater in a frameless 9' -10' boat. If you think otherwise, you either haven't seen Class 5 whitewater, you have a different whitewater rating system, or you rely on divine intervention where you can walk on water perhaps?