daypack and dslr

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by MasterAnglerTaylor, May 4, 2010.

1. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Anyone have a favorite daypack for hiking that they use to not only take a lightweight jacket, some snacks, but also their dslr with two lenses?
  2. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Snohomish, WA
    Ratings: +213 / 1
    I don't know much about daypacks but I've been eyeing the new packs by Simms. They're pretty nice and may suit my needs just fine. If you are really concerned about your DSLR I think Simm's also makes some waterproof backpacks that you might consider.
  3. jhemphill New Member

renton, wa
    i like my backpacks to have an internal frame because of my back so i like the Gregory z35r but my dad loves his Osprey talon 22 that doesnt have an internal frame, they also make some smaller sizes in the Osprey.
  4. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,010 / 0
    I've tried several lightweight, medium-capacity (~30L) packs for 'day' use. For me that means a 5-10 mile weekend hike with the dog and bringing along lunch, water, dog snacks, rain gear, GPS, trekking poles, camera, and sometimes, my heavy Manfrotto tripod. So far the best I've found is the Deuter Futura 32BC (http://www.rei.com/product/797596) for about $130.

Here's why:

First and foremost is the suspension system. The Deuter simply fits better than any other pack I've yet tried, including several larger ones at 3 or 4 times the price. That doesn't mean it'll necessarily fit you as well as it does me, but it seems like a pretty good reason to start with that model. The spring-steel side stays support a taut mesh back panel that provides outstanding ventilation on even the hottest days.

Second, the pack has an optional zip-up divider in the main pocket which, together with the lower zip-up outside access panel, means you can effectively convert the main bag into a 2/1 configuration to keep lighter gear like clothing at the bottom where it'll provide cushioning for you camera gear in the upper two-thirds. At 32 liters (~2,000 cubic inches), it's large enough for a 2-season ultralight overnighter.

Third, the pack has a waterproof stowaway rain cover that fits neatly in a bottom pocket, ready to break out and cover the pack to protect the contents from a downpour.

Finally, it's got a better-than-average array of external zip pockets, compression straps, mesh water bottle pockets and lash points along with an internal hydration sleeve to fit your Camelback or other water bladder.

In fairness, at 3 lbs 10 oz it's actually heavier than the 60 liter REI Flash 60 I just bought for weekend trips. But the REI pack lacks many of the creature comforts of the Deuter making it seem Spartan by comparison.

Give one a look at your nearest REI store.

K
  5. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    i am headed back towards wetside tomorrow and i will have to stop and take a look at REI
  6. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Snohomish, WA
    Ratings: +213 / 1
    That looks like a nice pack Kent. I've also been looking at the REI Traverse 30. It looks pretty nice for $80.
  7. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +49 / 0
    i use the older (blue) simms dry day pack for everything
    in the last year i have been to mexico city ,northern england and paris
    not only does iit keep the laptop and nikon dry it also seems rather safe from pick pockets
    one can't just unzip it in a crowded subway

then when i fill it with clams at a local beach i can hike out the 2 miles w/o it dripping on me
    it is small enough to fish with

and as i usually fish to long into the rising tideall my gear stays dry as i wade up to my pits to get around a fallen log

the newr generation of green simms bags look sweet
    good luck and have fun chasing fish over here
    just don't expect many rezzies
  8. Mark Greenwood Member

Poulsbo, WA
    I used to do a considerable amount of hiking and backpacking with an SLR, lenses, etc. I got tired of having to stop, remove the backpack, and unpack whatever I needed for the photo(s), so I went with a Lowepro Toploader Case with a chest harness. The Toploader & chest harness went on first, then the backpack. The camera was always available for quick shots on the trail, and immediate photos of wildlife, etc. I found that I took a lot more photos with this set-up since I could access the camera very quickly when needed.
  9. rob97852 New Member

north america
    I personally use a Da kine pack. I use it when i go ski ing or fly fishing. Work great with some water proof pockets for valuables. lots of space and a very comfy fit. Can't go wrong with one of them.