DB Boat Build

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Joshw, May 23, 2008.

1. Bullwhacker Member

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    I spent about two months looking at that area out of the corner of my eye trying to decide how to do the rear casting brace. I also have a 14' Sotar raft I would like to be able to stack on the DB if the occasion comes around, so I wanted it removable. This seems to work well enough and is very solid. The rear floor was the other obstacle that took a few months of thinking to get an idea I liked. I don't have a picture of it on hand but it is a drop in mahogony slat floor similar to what you would see in a framed boat. I didn't want a drain plug in the center of the boat or the rear fisherman tripping on the anchor rope. I'll try to get a couple pictures up.

Also, I didn't invest the time to build a steamer for my arches, just planed my white oak down to .25" and built a form to laminate it to the right radius.
  2. Bullwhacker Member

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    One other thing, the casting brace doesn't come off the floor, it comes off the dry box sides. Here is a picture showing how it is attached. These were during the construction phase.
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,521 / 9
    What wonderful work. I so want to build or buy a nice wooden boat.
  4. Joshw Tamer of Trouts

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Thats a good idea...I'll have to do some more tinkering in the garage and see if I can figure out something to come off the back of my dry boxes. I would like the option to remove it if necessary. Thanks for the idea.

Josh
  5. Joshw Tamer of Trouts

Bozeman, MT
    A couple of pictures of the finished exterior....completed last night.

//[img]http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_01391.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Josh
  6. Eric-WD Member

Westport WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    sweet boat, your obviously a craftsman. I wish I could build like that.

Eric
  7. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Beautiful Josh, absolutely beautiful. How are you going to outfit the interior? I'm so amazed at the talent of you boat building guys.
  8. Wet Wade New Member

Nexus of the Trout Universe
    Excellent choice on the color. Looks very nice.
  9. Joshw Tamer of Trouts

Bozeman, MT
    And the finished product....minus the beer holders that I just realized that I haven't put in yet. Well that'll be tomorrow after I get back from taking up to a local lake to test it out.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Josh
  10. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Damn beautiful boat you created there Josh.
  11. papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Camano Island, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +63 / 0
    Josh, that is QUAL-A-T!

LB
  12. Arthur Vakulchik Young Gun

lynnwood, wa
    very nice boat!! But there is still on thing you need to do... Figure out which seat is mine! :)