Dealing with the $$$ question

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by stratocaster, May 30, 2009.

1. stratocaster

stratocaster Member

So I've taken the plunge and invested in a fly tying set up. Last night I've got all my new stuff spread across the couch, spilling on to the living room floor, as I explain to my wife what everything is. She's silent, taking it all in, then hits me with the question I've been dreading:

"How much did all this cost?"
    Some nervous squirming on my behalf and I come clean, "about $200."
    "And how much does a fly cost?"
    More squirming, plus some fidgeting and incoherent mumbling before I answer, "$1.85."

Silence. Then from her, thankfully, laughter! Laughter bordering on hysterics.

Maybe she has a point but she definitely has a since of humor!

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Two hundred bucks for a bunch of dead animal fur and feathers, you are an idiot...

That is what my wife would have said in that scenario. I'm glad you got laughter!

3. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    O.K. That's 100 flies, give or take. On a typical full day of fishing, I figure I go through at least 10 flies: lost in the trees, whipped off, broken off in fish, mangled by fish (my favorite). In ten trips, you would have lost your hundred flies and had to replace them. In the long run, I don't think that tying flies is much about the money. The act of tying flies (or anticipating tying flies) forces you to pay far more attention to what bugs are available. It allows you to move beyond the generic fly offerings at your typical fly shop. It gives you an extra sense of satisfaction when a fly pattern that you tweaked based on your local observations turns out to be the hot fly that special day.

Steve

4. Preston

Preston Active Member

Cabezon's remarks are very much to the point. Tying your own may, in the long run, be more economical, but I doubt it. As the posessor of what certainly amounts to thousands of dollars worth of hooks and materials, I still find it nearly impossible to leave a fly shop without making purchases worth at least a few dollars. Fly tying is an adjunct to fly fishing that can, to some, become more important than the fishing itself. At the very least, it adds a real sense of accomplishment to be able to catch fish on a fly of your own manufacture and/or design. One of Cabezon's considerations which is often overlooked (and is, to me, one of tying's most satisfying aspects) is the ability to modify existing patterns (or even to create new ones) that more accurately represent local insect populations.

5. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Media:
    iagree Preston nailed it! Besides tying is just flat out fun!

6. Charlie S

Charlie S Confrimed Reprobate

My wife of almost 40 years, bless her little pea picking heart, calls fly shops, particularly when I'm browsing the fly tying materials section, the "Money Store". According to her I go in with a big huge bag of money and come out with a little titty bitty bag of materials....but, after these 40 years she has yet to say no. Gosh I love this woman!!!

7. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    My wife encourages it because then it gives her the opportunity to check the bank acct online and spend the equal amount of money.

That is why I use cash for the majority of my fly fishing and tying gear..

8. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

Media:
    Fly tying and fly fishing are about one's own enjoyment...................screw what it costs

Keith

9. stratocaster

stratocaster Member

I agree and the wife knows this too, she just looks at it from a practical side sometimes and finds it humorous. I'm glad of that.

If she only knew that this was just the tip of the iceberg.....and a big part of the fun!

10. Ed Call

Media:
    My wife also once called a get together of fly tying men as "a men's quilting party". I guess I can live with that. I tie some butt ugly flies, probably for much more per fly than they are worth. Some of those flies have broght nice fish to hand and that remains why I'm motivated to keep tying.

11. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    Funny, my wife calls fly tying "knitting for men".

12. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Media:
    As long as there is enough money to send my wife to ben franklin to get art supplies and to the nursery to buy new plants, I can go to the fly shop. We both have hobbies to support. Which is why we work. bawling:

13. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Media:
    wait til you tell her about the $165 jungle cock neck you bought! :eek:

then we'll see who's laughing!! :eek:

14. stratocaster

stratocaster Member

15. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Ha! Ha! No there isn't "stratocaster"...

16. bldrbill

bldrbill New Member

Hey, it's a hobby, and people take leave of their senses when it comes to their hobbies. Some guys drink too much, some gamble, some chase women. Sometimes you find a really bad guy who ties flies.

17. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Two hundred dollars worth of tying supplies lasts longer than 200.00 in beer, plus you'll remember what you did afterwards!

18. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

we all know the costs of tying our own flies!

but we all know what enjoyment we get from catching a fish on something we tied ourselves! that is the true reward:D

19. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Media:

20. Ed Call

Media:
    I caught a really nice rainbow on a tent wing caddis that I tied for a dry fly swap. Yup, caught it on my own tie. Not the largest trout to date but close. Not the first fish on one of my own flies. It was the largest trout to date on one of my own flies. That makes that fly worth the price of its materials and hopefully all the materials used to tie them up for the swap.

For the record I have not yet done the dangling gonadal check and pulled the trigger on a jungle cock neck or cape, but I have got a lot of pretty cool stuff to tie patters way more advanced than my tying skill.

Enjoy tying!