Dealing with the $$$ question

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by stratocaster, May 30, 2009.

1. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Greg Asbury, welcome aboard.
    The Gray hackle yellow and the brown hackle peacock were the first two flies I learned to tie.
    both still work great today.

2. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

So after all this money (yes me too) do any of you tyers know how to do the hand whip finish?

3. Greg Asbury

Greg Asbury New Member

Um. Yes I do know how to whip finish by hand. But please don't ask me to show you how to use a whip finisher! I never learned any other way.

4. Trevor Thorp

Trevor Thorp Happy to be home in the NW

First trout I caught in MI was on a fly tied with my own hair. That was a cheap fly.

5. stratocaster

stratocaster Member

Had a great day today with a fly I tied myself and pinks! Great feeling, especially when you are outdoing all the surrounding gear fisherman. $$$$? It's worth every penny!

6. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

What are you going to do when your wife comes home with a 9000.00 dollar sewing machine? and says I took care of the bank account. Bob
    :beathead:

7. jimmyjoe

jimmyjoe Member

Yes, And I can do a better job than using a tool. Everyone should learn how, I don't have the problem of trapping hackle fibers in the knot that I did using a tool.

8. TD

TD Active Member

I got my starter set for my birthday from my Dad when I was about 10 - 12 years old. I have no idea how much he spent back then. He put the different materials in their own bag and then wrote on the back of a business card what each was named. That way I could follow patterns in the book he kept on his work bench. That was over 27 years ago and I still use the same tools today. I even still use some of the materials. I "HAD" to replace my vise this year though.

I fish with he and my 2 brothers on regular basis. We've been chasing salmon in the saltwater together this year and have probably been spending far too much time at it too. Somehow 27 years ago I seriously doubt it was a FINANCIAL investment that motivated him.

9. Sockeyeguy

Sockeyeguy New Member

WOW does a jungle cock come with a new vise??

10. Zack Dudley

Zack Dudley Take em'

:rofl::thumb::thumb::rofl:

My thoughts exactly!

11. Allison

Allison Banned or Parked

Is is just me, or is it a little odd you guys have to lie to your wives about how much you spend on tying stuff?

That said, I spend less on it than I would on flies, catch fish on them, and don't answer to anyone, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about!

12. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I have tied enough flies now that I've got the material cost down to about $6/fly, based on the amount of stuff in my materials bin and my meager assortment of cheap tools. This does not include labor cost, as I don't pay myself for having fun. :rofl:

I whip finish by hand.:p

13. Zack Dudley

Zack Dudley Take em'

whip finish by hand = wayyy better ahha