Dec Hogan signature series Fly Logic Spey

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by TomB, Nov 3, 2006.

1. TomB

TomB Active Member

Guys-

I am considering buying a Dec Hogan signature series Fly Logic 9 wt spey rod. These came out a few years ago and I have heard good things about them but I was wondering if anyone has experience or knows anything about these. My optimum would be a burkheimer but i just dont have the cash right now.

Also- how would you compare this rod with the g loomis 14' 9 wt dredger in the glx series
    -T

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Tom,

I haven't fished them, so can't offer a personal opinion. People like them, and I haven't heard any negative opinions.

Are you sure you want a 9 wt? What water and species are you intending to fish? I ask because I think 9 and 10 wt rods are overkill for steelhead around here. Good for the Thompson and Clearwater maybe, but totally overkill for the Skagit even. I fish 7/8 wts and enjoy the rod handling so much more and also playing the fish on the lighter rods.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

3. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    I have the 13 foot 7/8. Good rod, just don't use it much. It's on loan to Riane right now and I've never heard anything bad about them either. I have no plans for getting rid of it even though I have more than enough rods.

4. TomB

TomB Active Member

Salmo g.-

I am planning on fishing the s' rivers and the peninsula rivers. I would agree that a 9 wt is overkill for most of the brats, but i dont know if that applies to the bigger native fish. I think for casting heavy flies long distances it might be nice to. The 7/8's i have fished haven't had the backbone im looking for. That being said, i still havent bought a rod, so i am open to suggestions and welcome input. Thanks.
    -T

5. Brian St

Brian St New Member

Tom

I have cast a hand full of the flylogics in the last couple of years, I thought they were pretty good rods. They have a good taper which is a medium fast progressive which basically means you feel the load right down into the butt section, easy to cast all day but not a slow rod by any means.
    the model you speak of would be similar to the Burkhiemer 8139-3 and the 9143-3 which are incredible fishing rods, perhaps two of the best 8/9 wts ever made. The loomis is a totally different rod that loads much deeper into the butt, it reminds me of the old 9140-4 sage which is still a good rod with the short head lines. The fly logic would be a good choice for an all around rod. When you are ready for that Burkie let me know I have a few you can take for a test drive.

6. Merle

Merle Not New, Just rarely post...

Tom,

Here's my $.02...I have the 8 weight (FLO 1308) Dec Hogan and I am quite happy with it. As far as how it compares to other spey rods, I am not the best person to ask because I haven't cast a whole lot of different ones. I bought it off ebay and it was my 2nd spey rod, the first being an old Sage 9140-4 brownie. (I think we all started with one of those!).

After casting the old 9140-4 for a few years, this modern rod felt like a cannon. It throws a Windcutter 9/10/11 nicely, though the official recommendations I've seen are for an 8/9/10 or a Skagit 550.

The fit and finish on the Flylogics seem to be as good as the higher priced rods, IMHO. (For some reason I especially like the mottled green anodized reel seat).

I haven't cast my 1308 since I got my latest stick, a Scott 1287/3 (which I got for summer dry line work) But once we get into the winter months I will probably put away the Scott and go back to the Flylogic for throwing heavy sink tips.

Salmo G. has a good point about the 9 weight. iagree I think a modern taper 8 weight spey would handle all but the very biggest of steelhead. As I'm sure you already know, the spey weight designations represent a heavier rod than the single hand designations (i.e. 8 wt spey is probably comparable to a 10 weight single hander).

Anyway, bottom line is that I think they are a good rod, regarless of which size you decide to go with. Let us know what you end up doing.

Andy

7. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    I had the 1308 (two of them), and still own the 1409. Awesome rods that will probably cast better than you or I will ever be capable to. As long as the price you will be paying is in the $350-$375 for a new one, you won't be being ripped off. I think they are worth far more performance wise, but you can find them for that price. Easily equivalent to $500 plus rods...

8. harleytio

harleytio Member

I actually own all the signature series spey rods-I think that they are a good value for the dollar amount that you are paying-they may not be the top of the line in the rich end of town,but they do everything for me that I ask of a rod. Also it may save you a few dollars if you put a Wanted To Buy ad on some of the fishing forums.

harleytio

9. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

That was my first 2 hander. Having cast many rods since (and subsequently buying 3 others – I couldn’t help myself), it's still one of my favorites. It was the perfect rod on which to learn all the casts (used the Skagit 550 w/ the 5 ft cheater). Great rod for heavy lines and flies. For me the rod feels “faster” than what has been described to me as “medium fast progressive” rod. I can’t say that I feel it load into butt section much, but that’s probably because I’ve moved down to lighter rods that do really load into the butt. Your welcome to try it anytime - she’s been a lucky stick. Joe

10. TomB

TomB Active Member

sweet hen! thanks everyone for the feedback on your experiences.

11. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Tom,

An 8 wt Spey will land a 30# steelhead. You probably won't be hooking many over that size. I've landed steelhead over 20# on my old single handed 8 wt fiberglass rod in less than 1 minute per pound of fish. I'm persuaded that the big gun mentality has more to do with either or both poor technique or small dicks.

What I'm not so sure of is large and heavy flies, since I don't have a history of using weighted flies. However, I've recently taken to fishing flies with either brass coneheads (the heaviest) and lead dumbell eyes (1/40th oz.) from a 6 wt floating line with my CND 5/6/7 wt Spey Tracker and have no problem casting them. With my 8 wt Spey rod, they might as well be size 10 Adams, they are that easy to cast.

If you're thinking about casting 1/8th oz. tube or shank typy flies, then a 9 or 10 wt line and rod is probably in order. However, that's a whole lotta' weight. My present thoughts are that if I want to cast that much weight I'll use a spinning rod.

While you're contemplating your needs and desire for Spey fishing, consider that scads of winter steelhead have been caught on 8 wt. single handed rods on size 1 hooks or smaller and 15' of 8 wt High Speed, Hi-D. What are you gonna' do with heavier flies, other than fish lighter sink tips or faster holding water. I fish the Skagit, Sauk, Hoh, and Queets and can wrap my fly and leader and sink tip around the stones without going to flies any heavier than those I'm using.

If you think you aren't getting deep enough, try Coach Duff's approach and tie on 20' or so of T-14. If that doesn't get you down, your not fishing steelhead holding water, or doing something amazingly wrong.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

12. CaddisMadness

CaddisMadness Fly Fishing in Patagonia: A Trout Bum's Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Get a lighter rod w/ a skagit head and you'll still be able to launch big flies and tips and have more fun fishing it. Just my opinion

13. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:

Truth be told! We were casting a 6wt tfo with a 6/7/8 cutter + type 3 tip vrs a 14ft 9/10wt T&T w/intermediate tip, however the T&T had a much heavier fly. Also, the T&T just wouldn't throw near as well or quietly as the TFO unless you are Steve Buckner. I'm glad I chose the cheaper setup, it got me into one ass-hooked sucker vrs. nothing for the t&t. If your not a great spey caster stick with the light stuff man. It's not like I've caught a ton of steelhead on spey rods but I hang out with people who have :cool:

14. inland

inland Active Member

"I'm persuaded that the big gun mentality has more to do with either or both poor technique or small dicks."

Nice.

William

15. Riane

Riane Mouse doctor

Media:
    Tom-
    Since I have been borrowing Matt's Dec Hogan 7/8 for a few weeks, I'll give my opinion. I'm casting a Skagit 450 grain with it, this is a great match for the rod. It really casts well, and I am not even close to realizing its power in my inexperienced hand. I can really feel this rod load, and there is some forgiveness when I have casting breakdowns that aren't too major. I've caught one 10-12ish pound steelhead off this rod, and it was a fun fight- though I'd probably rather fight that size fish on my 6/7, which is in the shop right now. I'd have to say you can't go wrong with this rod in the price range already mentioned. But personally I'd go lighter on the rod weight, but thats just my style.

16. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    Oh please be kind to my precious. Everyone wants my precious. They want to take my precious. Pleeeease don’t break my precious.

17. harleytio

harleytio Member

Now this comment could only come from a person of true skill and knowledge of the outdoors.

harleytio

18. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

I know him and I think its a little bit of both....

19. TomB

TomB Active Member

im sorry guys i didnt reallize that by asking your opinion on a 9wt rod i was volunteering information about the size of my dick or quality of my technique. How inappropriate of me. Next time i will be sure not to mention the size of the rod i am considering buying. Sheesh.
    -T

20. Rob Zelk

Rob Zelk I swing, therefore i am.

Media: