December 29th Rocky Ford Flyfishing Freezeout

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by zen leecher aka bill w, Dec 14, 2012.

1. last time i was there i used white egg sucking micro leeches i tied up the night before on some size 14 dry hooks and caught atleast 10 fish and hooked/fought alot more so i'll be tying a few of those up. scuds worked the few minutes i tried them in the fast water (accounted for hooking one monster) but that leech was rockin the slow sections.

2. how big is your micro leech?

Jay

3. Slightly off topic but.....
    I now find myself driving from the westside to Moscow, Idaho on the 26th.
    (Love you, mom!!!!)
    Any suggestions for fishing between here and there?
    Yes, I will look at the regs; but.....I always check here too.
    Thanks!

(micro leech? sounds like one of my brother in laws......)

Patrick Gould likes this.
  4. ill post a pic after i tie a couple up ina few

5. You guy's aren't factoring in all the WFF hot air -- that will surely keep temps above freezing....IMA Maybe.

6. I might just make it. That weather looks perfect. I may bring my ladder, my scuds, my micro leeches, my czech style nymphs, whatever. I imagine at this point that the fish that the hatchery stock last month will now be thoroughly well trained now and will be more likely to eat what is actually food. Although I have a new strip that I'd like to try on them. Hmmmmmmm maybe I should have worded that better.

Patrick Gould and McNasty like this.
  7. hook: size 14 standard dry/nymph
    tail/body: white rabbit strip cut to small size
    underbody: holo tinsel
    head: pink seal dubbing

P1000463.JPG

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  8. This trip is an Ira free zone. We don't need no stinkin' wetsider coming over and catching more fish than us!

9. I can't help it, I zone out sometimes and suddenly find myself fishing with a fish on my line, can't explain it! Your only hope is a too snowy pass. But then, I'll just fish Pass.

Ira..

10. Let me know if you can make it. I imagine a few of the locals might like to pick your brain.

11. I'll see what I can do to be there.
    Any temps above 25 at RF and no wind is good by me.

12. Did you really say strip? ;)

13. Some friendly RF regulars gave me some micro leeches like the one Mcnasty tied. They do seem to work, but I think I might try some tied with marabou instead of the bunny.

14. I am not a real big fan of ice in the guides. Rod tips either, for that matter. Like Jim, give me a warm sunny day in the high 70s or low 80s.

15. Bradley, winter action on the Yakima can be pretty good. I would be happy to take you to some spots, but I'll be at at White Pass doing some Nordic skiing on the 26th and 27th.

When are you coming back?

16. heres some more ill try.

marabou tied in as tail and wrapped forward with purple bead.
    P1000465.JPG

rabbit tail and ostrtich herl body.
    P1000467.JPG

17. Thanks, Patrick....I hope to run over there Wednesday then return Thursday. I've never fished the Yak, but the upper river is so close to Ellensburg that it would seem crazy to miss a chance to fish. I drove that canyon this summer....beautiful area. This trip might be weather dependant; not too sure about the pass.....my Mustang is really a 'desperately seeking traction' kinda car.

18. Let's make it a Saturday morning 9AM meet up at the middle parking spot, the one that people camp at. From there we can spread out.
    Ira, will you be available for a quick autograph session? (gotta make him feel welcome what with being a wetsider)
    I will also be available for autographs but have suffered the ignomy of never being asked.

19. A man after my own heart. Temps today were around 24. An hour later it was 14. The bottom drops out fast. In don't like to fish in this cold but living here isn't so bad.

20. I still see a few Mustangs driving around on all weather tires. I wouldn't try it on regular summer tires though.