December Fly Salon - Baetis

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by James St. Clair, Dec 9, 2013.

1. James St. Clair

James St. Clair stclairj

Media:
    Alright guys, sorry this took so long. I took some pictures of some baetis I have been tying up on Wednesday, and then realized that my cord to transfer the pictures on to the computer was MIA. With plans of house cleaning this past weekend, I figured it would turn up somewhere in the house and I would post the pics, but no luck. I am going to swing by Best Buy on my way home tonight and pick up a new one and I'll get the pics loaded up.

I really enjoy fishing baetis hatches. It used to be one of my favorites on the Yakima, but the past few years the hatch has been almost non existent. However, the fish still seem to key in on the nymphs pretty well, and every once in a while you can find a pod of fish that are feeding on the adults. I fish an E. WA creek in the spring, and the baetis hatch can be spectacular. This past summer I spent a week in Bend and ran into baetis hatches on both the Crooked and Fall Rivers, and had a couple of great days. Usually, I spend my winters tying for the first couple hatches in the spring, mostly Skwala's and Baetis. I always hope to get to tying for the next hatches...March Browns, PMD's, etc., but I rarely make it.

Anyways, because of the lack of a baetis hatch on the Yakima, I had slowed down my winter tying for the adult stage over the past couple years. When I got to Bend this summer I realized I was under-gunned, not expecting this hatch. After having to purchase some patterns that I was not super excited about (although they ended up working OK), I vowed I would not let that happen again, and started loading up my boxes with baetis. For me, there is nothing like the sip of an adult baetis off the surface, and I can't believe how hard they can hammer the emergers sometimes. So, show me your favorite baetis, whether it's a nymph, emerger or adult. It might be as simple as a sparkle dun, or it might be something you came up with yourself. Any and all baetis are welcome, and I'd like to see what your "go to" flies are for this hatch.

James

2. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    Bert likes this.
  3. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    Thats a cool one Derek, Is that one of your designs?

4. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yes, size 18! :)

Pat Lat likes this.
  5. James St. Clair

James St. Clair stclairj

Media:
    I went to Best Buy on my way home, bought a card reader, got home and looked at the laptop that we just purchased a month or so ago. Turns out it has a card reader built right in to it...duh! Never even thought to look until the guy at Best Buy told me they don't even sell the cords anymore, so I should buy a card reader.

Anyways, I got a couple bugs loaded up. By no means are these my own creations, just some flies that I like to fish during the hatch. I will try to get some more up for the salon soon, hopefully something a little more "original". This whole picture debacle probably took away the time I may have had to tie some more though!
    Baetis CDC Cripple Emerger - edit 1.jpg

Hook: TMC 100 or similar (#16 - #20)
    Thread: Lt. Olive 8/0 Uni
    Tail: Lt. Dun CDC
    Body: Olive Floss
    Ribbing: Fine Gold Wire
    Thorax: Lt. Olive Dubbing
    Wing: Lt. Dun CDC
    Hackle: Lt. Dun

Baetis CDC Stacker - edit 1.jpg

Hook: Lt. Wire Scud (#16 - #20)
    Thread: Lt. Olive 8/0 Uni
    Tail: Olive Antron
    Body: Olive Dyed Turkey or Goose Biot
    Hackle/Wing: Dun CDC Tied Stacker style
    Thorax: Lt. Olive Dubbing

Baetis Hi Vis Parachute Emerger - edit 1.jpg

Hook: Lt. Wire up-eye Emerger (#16 - #20)
    Thread: Olive 8/0 Uni
    Tail: Olive Antron
    Ribbing: Small Pearl Mylar Tinsel
    Body: Lt. Olive Tan Dubbing
    Parachute: White and Yellow Mixed Antron or Widow's Web
    Thorax: Dark Olive Green Dubbing
    Hackle: Dyed Olive Grizzly

Derek - That is a cool website you have your bugs up on. I searched some of your others too, very cool! Thank you for sharing your baetis pattern. Is the foam for wing buds? And to help it ride up as an emerger would? I like the design, I will have to tie a few of those up.

I realize this is not the most "creative" topic, but I thought it would be fun to switch up from the larger hooks we have been doing to something a bit smaller. Plus, I thought with Christmas coming up and December being a busy month it might take a little less time to bust a couple baetis out. Looking forward to seeing some more bugs!

6. riseform

riseform Active Member

Media:
    Hate to see this one drop down the page as it's my most fished mayfly, given my offseason MT visits and preference for Fall and Winter wade fishing on the Yak.
    Here's a good closeup from the bighorn a few years ago
    [​IMG]
    And another trying to escape its shuck (pre macro lens days, sorry)
    [​IMG]

As for flies, you can't beat a small parachute adams, Quigley cripple or sparkle dun on slow water (my personal preference is a Quigley cripple). For the riffles, a soft hackle will vacuum them up.
    Those are all too common, so I'll show pics of Craven's jujubaetis for a nymph
    [​IMG]
    and a snowshoe emerger tied for a recent swap.
    [​IMG]

7. James St. Clair

James St. Clair stclairj

Media:
    Thanks for sharing riseform. I really like both of those patterns.What is the body material on the nymph?

So I see that this is not the most popular Salon idea. Maybe the steelhead tyers are all too cool to tie on a size 18 hook, or the saltwater/baitfish guys have never heard of a baetis. (None of this should be taken seriously, btw). Or maybe it's just that time of year when everyone is busy. I am guessing the most likely case is that the hook size is small so there is not much room for materials (and thus creativity), and so many good patterns are readily available that work really well that everyone (besides myself) is hitting their head against the wall saying "is this guy serious?! a stupid baetis for the fly salon!"

Anyways, if I ever host a fly salon again, it will not be beatis, and I apologize for picking such a lame-o topic. But, we are stuck with it. I'll add a couple more I've been tying and maybe that will spark some interest.

Anyone ever tie with Spirit River's Lip Stick bodies? This pattern has been one of the best I have used during the thick of the hatch.
    DSC_0657 - edit 1.jpg

I really like biot bodies, and I have found the fish do as well. Been fooling around with some variations on what is basically the same pattern, just different stages of the insect during the hatch.

DSC_0661 - edit 1.jpg

DSC_0662 - edit 1.jpg

DSC_0663 - edit 1.jpg

Basically the same materials on all of these, except the nymph has no CDC, but flashback instead. Size #18 scud hook, Golden Olive Dyed Partridge, Olive Dyed Goose Biot, Olivish Dubbing, CDC, and more Golden Olive Dyed Partridge.

Show me the Baetis!

Dave Evans and McNasty like this.
  8. riseform

riseform Active Member

Media:
    Craven's pattern uses three strands of Super Hair for the body. I happened to use 2 green and 1 black on that pattern, but I think he uses brown and black for baetis.

9. riseform

riseform Active Member

Media:
    Size 20 loop wing hackle stacker

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

Media:
    amazing tie rise!

11. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

Media:
    There is some talent on display in this thread! What makes it even more impressive is the size of hook needed. Well done by all of those posting their work.

12. James St. Clair

James St. Clair stclairj

Media:
    Riseform is the "winner" of the December fly salon. Really like both the loop wing dun and the snowshoe emerger.

Looking forward to January's salon, got a bunch of new materials for Christmas, and I also got a bunch of stuff for my 5 year old, as he has been showing some interest in it. I'll see if we can tie one togethor for January.

Thanks for participating, commenting, and "liking" everyone's Baetis. Hope everyone had a great holiday!

13. riseform

riseform Active Member

Media:
    Hmm, this was like winning best of show when you're the only dog.
    James, I thought this was a great topic and enjoyed seeing your patterns and appreciated the recipes. Thanks.
    Will get a January thread opened soon.