Decent cheap sunglasses?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Josh, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +495 / 2
    Anyone got a suggestion for a decent (low eyestrain) set of polarized polycarb lens sunglasses? I typically buy glass lens Smiths when I find them on sale or ebay for a good price. Glass lenses have always seemed clearer and and felt like they gave less eyestrain.

But now that my fishing time is limited by the "kid schedule", and I find myself trying to stretch the daylight hours, I think I'd like to try out a pair of low light yellow lenses. However, I don't think I'm ready to drop real coin on them.

Chili's from REI? Whatever "super-fishing" glasses it is that WalMart carries? Something else? Spend a little more and get an interchangeable lens set? Save my cash for something else and get cheap-o safety glasses from the hardware store?

Thoughts?
  2. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +164 / 0
    I break my glass smiths at least once a year.

The Berkely polarized from Walmart aren't bad for the price. I think were around $25. Non interchangeable lenses though

WIley X not bad for the price and can get the interchangeable lenses. I use them shooting and hunting
    http://www.wileyx.com/index.aspx

Can find good deals on MRFC.com, sierratradingpost and campmor too

http://www.wileyx.com/index.aspx
  3. Nailknot Active Member

Cascadia
    Ratings: +8 / 0
  4. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    Dude! Don't even think about getting some inferior product! These are your eyes we're talking about.
    You need The Shades from Sage or you go blind.
    Not only will you be able to see into the water, but through boat bottoms, bridge decks, and bikinis.
  5. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +396 / 0
    I buy mine for $4.95 a pair. They meet all the UVA/UVB standards, but are not very styl'n. My glasses don't last a full season. Why buy spendy ones when they're just going to end up broke or lost anyway. And it's not like I'm posing for the camera anyway either, so looks don't matter that much to me.

Well, truth be told.....I have to save my money for the 7000 diapers I have to buy for the kids. :clown:
  6. robl Member

Richland WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    I have two identical pairs of Chili's sunglasses from REI and they seem to work great. Like $20 per pair. Pretty lightweight, comfortable, the best sunglasses I've ever had anyway.
  7. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    I know how that feels!
  8. Jason Shutt Dues past due

Close to water, but not close enough
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I break and lose glasses often so have never spent coin on them. The most I've ever spent was $50 on a pair of LL Bean fishing glasses, but that's because someone gave me a gift card for exactly that amount. They're fine but I wasn't blown away by the difference with...

I use Calcutta (http://www.calcuttafishing.com). You can get a pair of polarized for $15 at ACE or other local retailers. I've even found them at some online outlets for as low as $5 and just picked up 4-5 pairs. I love the variety of lenses they offer- the orange works wonders in low light. I've always used orange when driving in the rain around these parts, and they work equally well on foggy water.
  9. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +126 / 0
    Madison River Fishing Company has some Smith's on sale "clearance".
    Campmor.com
    Sierra Trading Post
  10. Todd Laughery Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I've gotten quite accomplished at smashing and losing nice sunglasses so I recently bought some Sunclouds and love them. Not super cheap but not a ton either. Great polarized lens.
  11. Dave S. Member

Oly, WA
  12. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +488 / 0
    Oh Yeah!

13. david.schepers skeeps

weastern, wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    suncloud, rachet
  14. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Looks like REI has Suncloud. I'll check them out.
  15. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    ton of nice glasses here for almost 50% off!
    http://www.rei.com/outlet/search?query=sunglasses&button.x=0&button.y=0

I'm never buying sunglasses under 25.00 again, they tend to break at the frame/hinge due to the continuous off/on stretching and bending while taking off your head. Been through tons in the last couple years.
    I'm getting something with a heavier plastic frame..
  16. thesankers Member

Richland, WA
    Ratings: +8 / 1
    I have had good luck with cocoons. They are made for fitting over Rx glasses, but work well straight as well.
  17. mtd885 New Member

Hallandale Beach, Fl
  18. Mark Juranek Member

Sammamish, WA
    +3 suncloud or Chili's. Those are some great prices on the REI clearance as well. Bolle's for $50, scream'n deal.

I just bought a really bright copper suncloud for low light and as a second pair. Worked great on the SF the other night.
  19. Desolate New Member

Puyallup, WA
    Cabela's Native Eyewear

Native has some great eye wear at Cabela's in Lacey. I spent about an hour shopping around and found them to be the best quality for the money. Average price is around $100 and Cabela's has a great and cheap protection plan that lasts over 1-year where if you have any damage to the glasses for any reason, they will ship you a new pair of the same kind or a different pair of your choosing as long as it was the same cost or cheaper than the ones you purchased. I've had mine for a few months now and they're comfortable, clear, great visibility. They also come with a second set of lenses for a winter-summer swap depending on your preference and the path of the sun during the seasons. Come with a nice carrying case, soft bag, and lanyard.

Much cheaper than the other high-end products and I liked them a lot better than most of the expensive glasses. I suggest spending a little more. For something that you will be wearing all day fishing it is a worthwhile investment. Especially with a protection plan backing you up incase you break your shades a lot :)
  20. Jason Chadick A Fish, A Fish, A Fishy, Oh...

Naches, WA
    Ratings: +34 / 0
    I too recently upgraded to a pair of Natives from a pair of Chili's and think the Natives are a sweet deal. The polarization is for real and the lenses really seem to up the contrast when trying to read a stream. They're not super cheap (mine were $85), but I've been making an effort to take decent care of them and they've survived a few accidents as well. But, hell, if Sage is making sunglasses better spend the $$$ to get "the shades" I hear they can see through bikinis.