Deception pass Area

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Whidbey Fly Fisherman, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Whidbey Fly Fisherman

Whidbey Fly Fisherman Member

Hi I am new to the forum, and an avid fly fisherman. I have never fished the salt before, and don't really know where to start. I have been fishing pass lake a lot and talking to everyone that I meet, but everyone keeps saying a few more weeks for the salt. When, Where, and How are my questions. Everything from leader lengths and weights, types of flys, to places to go. I need to know, and would like someone to give up the big secret. I live in Oak harbor, and don't have a boat, so shore fishing is my game.

I currently have a Sage 8wt, a Tioga reel, and Rio Versatip line. Any suggestions, fly examples anything would be a great help!

Thanks

2. TomB

TomB Active Member

Hey there- I work up on whidbey during the week and will be fishing the salt when the salmon show up in numbers (the northern half of the western side is the only part open until august for salmon). I too will mostly be fishing from the beach. For gear, a 6-8 wt rod with either floating or clear intermediate line is optimal. Your versi-tip is OK, but the others are better. Flies are pretty simple...any baitfish pattern will do. Clousers in chartreuse and pink will be as good as any about size 2. Leader is even more simple....i like a 6-8 foot piece of 10 pound mono, if you want to get fancy you can get a tapered leader but it is not neccessary. I will let everyone know when fish show up in numbers.
    -Tom

3. Whidbey Fly Fisherman

thanks for the great info hope to see you out there sometime.

4. Brent Comer

Brent Comer Member

Media:
    Woohoo! Thanks, Tom!

5. islandfisherman

islandfisherman islandfisherman

Home Page:
    Whidbey,Hi there I live on the island also,on the beach,take a look around the West Beach Rd. area,use the turn-out / parking area it's right on the curve,there are sand bars,rocks and kelp beds to cast too,also the beach IS public so waunder around ,early morning /tide changes & dusk are the best times.....good luck

6. Whidbey Fly Fisherman

I'll check it out, thanks for the tip, I know alot of people don't really like to share info so I appreciate it. Maybe I will see you out there sometime.

7. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Come to a meeting of the Whidbey Island Fly Fishing club. You'd be surprised at what info is given out.
    Second Wednesday of Each month at The Race Road Fire House in Coupeville. 7 PM ;)

8. Dale Dennis

Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

The cutts are there, all I'll say is...do some exploring. For those of you that live on the Island I agree with Randy go to their meeting, it's a great club; and they are stewards of Lone Lk.
    DD (Evergreen Club).