Deception Pass State Park

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Ed Call, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Three days at the Deception Pass State Park. This state park is as gorgeous as they come, nothing wrong with that. It was supposed to be packed, but did not appear to even be 3/4 full, nothing wrong with that. This trip was a clan camping trip with the trio of the Rob Ast, Orangeradish and Mumbles clans in attendance, nothing wrong with that. In fact, it was pretty damn awesome. Some of our meals were pretty simple, designed for the 5 groms in attendance. Some were much more elaborate, like the breakfast scramble that consisted of eggs, spinach, ham, garlic tips, mushroom, onion, pepper, havarti cheese and some sauce. Jerry D and Bitterroot would have been proud.

The kids played great together. The weather was tolerable to fantastic, it changed frequently and did not do any one thing for long (except rain all night long on friday night through saturday morning). There was bird watching, tide pooling, beach combing, rock collecting, rock painting, campfire conversation, food, fishing and overall fun for the whole weekend. I'm hopeful that my friends enjoyed themselves enough to be willing to do it again somewhere and sometime soon.

Oh, we fished Pass on Friday and Saturday evenings, a bit before and a bit after dark. Fish-On! Fun, fun, fun. I actually felt like I was pretty dialed in, especially on Friday. No browns, but no problem. Ample fat and frisky 'bows to keep us busy.

constructeur likes this.
  2. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    Awesome! Sounds like a great weekend for sure. Sometimes camping seems like a lot of work with the kiddos, but when it's all said and done it's always worth it! I haven't camped at Deception, but it's on the list! And I still have not fished Pass. Looks like there is two on the list there...

Glad a good time was had by all!

3. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    Certainly a fun time. Close enough to home that the typical car whining didn't have time to develop. Nice campground with easy access to the beach for play time. Great company. Enough fishing to satisfy without being a burden on everyone else. Great trip.

4. powderglut

powderglut My Kind Of Wave

What a beautiful looking park! That's the way to do Father's Day weekend.
    I hope to get a good look at all the parks across the way, on the San Juans, this September. Can't wait!

5. Loren Jensen

Loren Jensen Active Member

Glad you liked it out there. I feel fortunate that I live so close to there. Beautiful spot.

6. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    That is one of the best campgrounds, my family and I have camped there many times over the years.
    Cranberry Lake is also a good lake to try. One morning, back in 1987, I was walking from our camp down to the beach and passed by the "swimming" area of Cranberry Lake, and noticed abundant fish feeding action right there in the roped off area. Couldn't tell exactly what they were keying on, but I could see they were trout.
    I high-tailed it back to camp and got my old fiberglass 4wt and a box of flys and headed back to the action, which, was still going on when I returned.
    After trying a few fly's, I found a small black knat to be the ticket and proceeded to catch a bunch of fiesty RB's.
    That was a blast and I cooked up some delicious crispy fried trout for breakfast that day.
    Anyone who has not camped there, or never even visited, Deception Pass State Park, should, especially early or late in the season when there can be a bit more solitude.

LB

7. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Deception pass is a great campground, spent many a weekend there as a kid. We used to fish for crawdads along the rocky shore in Cranberry lake, or throw the car topper in the bay and fish for salmon, great times. One time when I was young, we were heading north across the bridge, there was a truck a few cars ahead of us. As he crossed on to the Island his trailor came uncoupled, the boat and trailor hit the end of the bridge and plunged into the water below. I remember stopping and seeing the debris spinning in the current, and the owner gazing at the water in muddled disbelief.

8. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    Wow Chris, that would have been some site! I've boated under that bridge many many times and wonder now what it would have been like coming through (after the boat had fallen), or even seeing that boat fall from that bridge. It's already freaky as hell boating through there.

9. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Yeah, that spot's got some serious current and an interesting underwater structure to it. If I remember correctly, there's several ledge-like projections under water beneath the bridge. Years ago, we planned a cruise into the San Juans, and I remember reading about a spot that has a 15kt current at the flood. Max hull speed on my boat was 5kts, so I needed to hit it right at the slack. Unfortunately, arriving at Anacortes and dropping the boat in with a 7am departure next day, we were rudely awakened to a major storm with 40kts of wind, and rain going sideways. We rode it out at the guest dock at Cap Sante, and by the time it was blown out, we'd shot our window for the trip!