Decided I'm Going Purist...

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by JesseC, Jun 3, 2012.

1. speyghillie

speyghillie speyghillie

William scrope wrote in the days before waders,
    Avoid standing upon rocking stones, for obvious reasons; and never go into the water deeper than the fifth button of your waistcoat: even this does not agree with tender constitutions in frosty weather. As you are likely not to take a just estimate of the cold in the excitement of the sport, should you be of a delicate temperament, and be wading in the month of February, when it may chance to freeze very hard, examine your legs. Should they be black, or even purple, it might, perhaps, be as well to get on dry land; but if they are only rubicund, you may continue to enjoy the water, if it so pleases you.
    Gordon

2. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    Don't laugh Evan, I've seen him do this. ;)

Yes, seriously.

3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Good. We need more people on the water doing awesome shit.

4. Luke77

Media:
    And he only stopped because he broke it against a rock and didn't have anymore. I almost vomited...but that may have been from the 2 previous days of tequila beers and not the red/white bobbers.

Good times had by all....

5. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Sad thing is - It worked better than a thingamabobber.

Nymphing quit being fun about 8 mos ago for me. Too much damn work with a fly rod.

6. JS

JS Active Member

Media:
    Oh God. Here comes the, "Yeah, lets all go get center-pin rigs and run our beads dead drift for 400 yards" bandwagon.

7. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Eaaaaaaasy there JS. There's still a place for the nymph rigs. I think if you can fish them with any skill you can outfish the bobber guys in a lot of scenarios. Unfortunately, I just hit a wall with nymphing. I'm just not that good at it. I switched to swinging and started catching fish with more regularity.

8. JS

JS Active Member

Media:
    Just messing with you/stirring the pot further. Though it has become a trendy concept for some.

9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Centerpins are sweet. I just stick to chuckin bobbers on the standard spinning reel, though.

10. Luke77

Media:
    Not stirring the pot, but I would LOVE to learn how to centerpin, just to say I've tried it. I think it'd be a way better way to deliver a prawn to a springer than even a spinning or baitcasting rod.

11. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

you tend to bust your knuckles on big fish luke..i.e. why they are called "knucklbusters" For nookies I did damage to my hands..wasn't that fun...

I can honestly tell you guys from my own experience that pin's are a bit more chanllenging in the beginning...but like any gear I have fished it really got B O R I N G for me...your still watching a float all day..

When I started with the single hand and then moved on to the spey...even slow days are still fun because there is just that much more to learn and do...whether it's finding the fish and finding what they eating...or being surprised by catching one when all you've heard is "it can't be done in these conditions, with a fly etc. etc."

Attached Files:

12. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Awesome golfman - that's what it's all about. I spent a lot of time fishing for those guys this season but don't think I ever had one on the line. A couple winter fish took my fly - but not spring dingers- I'm just really getting into the Spey scene as it is. I would love to get one on the swing though. Some day.

I had a gear trip last winter where we went 5 for 6 on steelhead. At the end of the day I still felt unfulfilled. I was happy. But, not as happy as the days I got 1 fish on the swing. That is asinine to some and understood by a brotherhood of others.

13. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    :D
    Just gave my spey away to a pal that wants to try it out, and am going to spend a heap more time focused on single spey this year. I'm also getting a nice 10' float rod soon too, mostly to be fished by my little girl, but I actually don't mind watching a bobber work it's way through the swirls and stones either. Sometimes it's nice to just get out, stand 10' from your pal bullshitting, casting over each other, drinkin' cold ones, and being more social than the swing allows.

14. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Never caught a salmon on the swing. Nymphed a king once.

Caught many more steelhead on the swing than on the nymph. That's because I'm inexperienced, had good guides, and had more focus and excitement while swinging.

15. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

you hit it on the head Jesse ..there is a brotherhood that understands that...
    I don't know what or why it happens? For me, I loved hanging out with my buds fishing gear with pins etc. then I watched a guy fly fishing...then I got hooked on it...kept thinking I would use my gear again..first year or two I would bring it out here and there....then it just became more of a challenge to do it with the fly...and i caught a lot less fish then and probably still don't to some extent....

I know guys have done well with single hand rods and oddly enough, very small flies that they cast into the deep pools, let sink and then strip in....have seen quite a few springers caught that way...I have only gotten one on the swing and it was on a floating line and white fly....I saw him rolling his way up river, cast to put the fly right in front of him and he took it...snapped my 8lb tippet pretty quick but I was really fishing for bulls so it surprised the hell out of me..

The longer i've been doing this the less I like using heavy tips and flies....learning to "work" your fly takes time and sometimes a few pointers from guys with the knowledge....I just take no joy in hucking big junk down when there are other methods that will work with some patience, some skill and some luck...

16. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Media:

I agree with golfman. To me winter fishing with tips and large flies is just a way to pass the winter away. Give me floating line with a sz. 7 Blue charm or muddler, riffle hitched on a summer evening. Something about seeing a fish roll on your fly!

17. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    While I'd rather fish a floating line any day for the pure simplicity of it, I equally enjoy fishing deep, altho I forego the T-14 and mainly use my 8 wt type 3 and 6 tips. Hell back in the single hand days, I didn't know I was at a loss using 15' high speed, Hi-D tips I made myself. It was the best stuff going that I knew of, and a little watermanship got the fly in front of the fish on a regular basis.

Still, if you insist on going purist, I maintain my case that you're restricted to silk and gut, etc.

Sg

18. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    I bought a handmade leader wallet at an estate sale awhile back. It is filled with old pre tied steelhead leaders made from some material I've never seen before, I'll sell you them for the sake of purity at $100 a piece. He was known to haunt the stilly it's like a piece of history on every cast. Pair it with a prewar perfect and a fenwick glass and you're stylin son. But I'll follow you with the Tcx, t8, compact skagit and the shoreline special :)

19. Joe Smolt

Joe Smolt Member

Media:
    One of the important benefits of spey rods is being able to fish the way you want all day long. I am getting older and can imagine wearing out my shoulder with 3 days of non-stop fishing. Must be nice to be young and ambitious!

Joe

20. fishin jimmy

fishin jimmy New Member

I dunno, I think a "purist" in fishing is likely one who would go back to the essentials of the sport with a hardware store bought bamboo pole, string & bent needle, garden hackle for bait.

Were my ancestor's in Scotland purists when they were making fishing tackle 150 yrs ago, probably not - likely they viewed it as making a living.

I double hand & single hand cast & enjoy both immensely - do what you like & enjoy it, life's too short to haggle about your endeavor.