Deciding on lens

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by MasterAnglerTaylor, Apr 6, 2010.

1. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Been having fun with my rebel xt and the kit lens. I feel it is time to take the next step though and upgrade the lens. Im definatly into landscape photos, especially when hiking. I also have taken a liking to just walking around taking pictures of people/places at school here and whatever animals pop-up. Not sure that a telephoto would be best for anything indoors really but i need a little bit of zoom for mountains/sounds that kinda thing when hiking. I am under the impression that wide angle lens dont have much of a zoom unless you got a lot of money. I am prolly looking at a max of $600 i am willing to spend here seeing that im in school and all.

Only idea i have really come up with is the Canon 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 or the 28-135 f/3.5-5.6. These are just what i have found in my short time researching. Im looking for opinions and ideas on what i should do.
  2. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    I don't know what range your kit lense covers, but I wouldnt bother buying any slow glass if your gonan spend 600.

You could pick up a 105mm 2.8 macro (which can also be used for portraits and slight telephoto landscapes).

Also, you could get a fast 50mm to go with it :)

If you want a telephoto, the best option for most people is a 70-200 2.8 (without VR if ur on a budget)

I am not a big fan of slow lenses with a wide range.
  3. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    my kit lens is 18-55
  4. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,785 / 0
    I guess it is a matter of choice. I like the 18-200 zoom even if it is a bit slow. With the way newer DLSRs handle higher ISO, shooting in low light can be done with a slower lens and with stabilization technology the slower lenses are a valid choice for the amateur. I have even seen a number of pros using Nikon's 18-200 lenses as their walk around lens because of its quality and its ability to cover many different shooting situations. I would assume the Canon equivalent is just as good. One thing you can do is rent a lens for a day or two and see if it is what you want. Don’t know if you have a shop you can rent from or not. Glazer’s in Seattle rents equipment.
  5. speyflyfisher Member

Ratings: +12 / 0
    I second the lens rental idea mentioned by Kerry. Besides Glazer's there are some online sources that rent by the week.
    But since you mentioned landscapes, you might want to consider a wide angle lens say something in a 11 to 18, or 10 to 24.
    I find that with my kit lens that I can't get wide enough for good scenery shots.
  6. AxisSally Member

Campbell River, BC
    I have a 18-200mm & a 12-24 for the wide stuff.

For outdoor you won't have a problem with light & the 18-200. Grab a cheap 35 or 50mm 1.8 prime for your indoors stuff. Even the 12-24mm is alright indoors if held steady or on tripod...or use a flash :) I'm Nikon though. Also, I am aching for faster glass, the 2 lens i mentioned are slow & I want some fast glass now!
  7. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    im not super worried about it being a super fast lens. I dont see myself shooting in that low of a light. I am in pullman so im doubting there is much in the way of rentals unless i order a rental. It would be cutting into my budget a fair bit, but then again, i dont wanna end up with the wrong lens.
  8. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    Rental is a good idea...

Remember there is "price" you have to pay regarding try a lens or learn a lesson... even everyone give you opinion about how they love and dislike the lens, you still have to try it to decided if the lens suit you or not. The other way is to buy a used one, if you don't like it later, resell it... usually you won't lost too much. hope this help...
  9. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    What experiences have you guys had, if any, with renting lens online. Any particular company you recommend because there seems to be quite a few out there. Still not sure which one i wanna test out first.
  10. mbcracken Member

Fall City, WA
    I have the Canon XTi (400d) and bought the Tamron 18-250 with great success. I have been able to win a couple minor online photo contests with that combination. BH Photo Video is offer this lens at $350 because it has been replaced by one with anti-vibration. It was $500 when I bought it.
    Here are my pics mentioned above...Judging by your avatar, you might like this first photo.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

I would also recommend picking up Canons nifty 50 (50mm 1.8f II) This lens really is incredible for low light scenarios.

Cheers,
    Mike
  11. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    Those are some nice pictures. Thanks for your opinion. Is there some kind of rally circuit of some kind around here?
  12. mbcracken Member

Fall City, WA
  13. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    u might want to check with the school. they might have access to some lenses u can check out.
  14. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    you have to be enrolled in a photography class of some kind. Little late for that.
  15. flyfisher70 New Member

Los Angeles, California
    You should try checking out some of the photography forums, often you can find some great deals on used lenses. I recently picked up a a Canon 50mm 1.4 for under $300, the lens looks and functions like new. I also purchased the Canon 100mm 2.8 for $350, this lens is tack sharp and worth taking a look at if you want incredibly sharp photos. I wish there was one lens that could do it all, but as you start getting more and more into photography you realize there's not one lens that can do it all, sad but it's the truth.

I have a 7D and an old 5D classic, on the 7D I like to use the 70-200 2.8, it's an awesome combination. The 5D works real nice with a wide angle Canon 17-40 F4, I like the results I get from this combination for my walk around lens, although in low light you'll definitely need to switch out to a fast prime or have a tripod handy.

Here are a couple of links to some good photography forums where you can find some really great deals on some used equipment.
    www.fredmiranda.com
    photography-on-the.net
  16. Rodney K. Pabst Member

Sequim, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Save your pennies and bite the bullet and buy fast glass. Like "L" glass 2.8 f. After 25 yrs with kit lenses and upgraded lenses I finally bought three fast glass lenses. Wow, what a difference. With fast glass you do not need the IS. For landscape I use 16-35 or 24-70. The 24-70 is also great for indoors too. Trying out before you buy is a great option if you can. In the future just buy the camera body and these lenses will last you a lifetime. Good luck

R K P