Deep Fried Turkey prep Help

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by nutsack angler, Nov 24, 2013.

1. This thanksgiving I'm planning on deep frying a couple turkeys this year for the first time ever and I'm trying to decide whether or not to inject and rub an already brined turkey or whether or not to even use a rub as I've heard it just burns off. I've done a TON of research on this and the answers seem to be all over the map. Just wondering how folks on here prefer to prepare their birds before they go into the fryer.

Happy Holidays!

2. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Done it many times and my favorite way to do turkey. Take out a loan and be sure to get "100% peanut oil".
    I recommend injecting the bird.
    Mix your seasonings/rub in a bowl with a soft little butter and make a thick paste. Take your hands and slip them under the skin and separate from the breast, etc. then rub the paste all over under the skin and lay it back down. This will keep most of it from just floating away from the surface when you SLOWLY immerse the turkey in the hot oil.
    Be sure to turn your flame OFF while you do this. It will prevent any spillage/overflow from igniting the you and neighborhood into a fiery inferno. :eek:

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Rub does NOT burn off at all. In fact, it fuses into the skin. I only occasionally do injection method. If I do, I usually do it a day or so before and let it sit. That way it's not seeping at all while I immerse it in the oil. Mark's spot on, S L O W L Y immerse it. Also, make sure it's TOTALLY dry. No ice or water inside or out. That's what causes most spill overs.

When I use a rub, I put it inside and out. I heavily rub onto the skin, and pour down into the body cavity. Again, I do this a day before and let it sit in the fridge. Helps it marinate into the bird a bit.

Onto the oil, my son has Peanut allergies, so have moved onto use fry oil. I buy from a restaurant wholesaler, and it's what a lot of the restaurants put into the fryers. Peanut oil adds a great taste, but my son loves his turkey. LOL. Fry oil is a milky white until it hits temp.

I'll warn you, don't let too many know you do it. I used to be on the call list the day before Thanksgiving (having multiple fry pots). I think most I did for family in one day was 10 birds. They just came and picked them up at stages (thankfully, only took me about 3 hours to do 10 birds). I even did them for UPS one Christmas Eve. I did 35 birds for all the employees (I was off hurt and working light duty in the office that year). I'm still asked to this day to do birds for people. LOL

4. Thanks dudes! Sounds like you both prefer a moist rub- hence your "pour" comment Jerry. I just got an 11.7# and 12.1# from Trader Joes (brined) and plan on frying one as is and injecting creole butter and rubbing the other with Tony Chacheres dry seasoning but might add some butter to it...

Thanks for the warning Jerry LOL. At this point any excuse I have to drink beer outside away from the ladies in the kitchen I will take but I can see the danger in producing such a specialized product ; )

Stoked to fry some birds!!!

5. Mark Walker

I've found the rub doesn't actually burn off, but it does "wash/float" off when you submerge the turkey.
    Jerry's is very correct in advising to remove all trace of any moisture.
    Dry the cavity good with paper towels. Moisture and boiling oil are not good bed fellows.:eek:
    Get some good oven mitts/gloves, wear long sleeve shirt/long pants and make sure you're not using a .99 cent thermometer!
    It'll be a meal fit for king!

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Do not do this on your wooden deck or porch. Love Mark and Jerry's suggestions. I rub and inject. Peanut oil is the only way. Exspensive, so do a bunch of birds! You can refrigerate or freeze the oil once cooled, and reuse it in the near future. Don't cook too large a bird that your pot can't handle the volume. Overflowing your pot is not an option.

7. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Or on a asphalt driveway of a newly constructed home with large amounts of alcohol having been consumed before the frying event.

Ed Call likes this.
  8. Mark Walker

Good advice about what kind of surface you cook over and not to mix too much alcohol with boiling oil. I use an old rubber truck bed liner under the fryer and no matter how careful I am, some oil always splatters, slops or drips on it.
    I like to have another person help with lowering/raising the bird. One on each side.
    You can save the oil as Ed mentioned. You can buy a rather inexpensive strainer/pump to put the oil back into the original container/s. Perfectly good for frying chicken, etc. Once I use it for seafood or it starts getting dark in color, I toss it. You can find pumps a bit leass $, but this gives you the general idea;
    http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_item_938.html?PID=1919523
    Decent read;
    http://bbq.about.com/od/turkey/a/aa112808a.htm

Ed Call likes this.
  9. Thanks for the continued advice, especially on safety. I spent a lot of time reading up on safety after hearing all the stories of people burning their houses down once this became popular. There's a ton of info online about safety but the recipes seem pretty mixed. I guess as long as you get the meat to 165 without burning your house down you should be ok. I appreciate the truck mat idea Mark as that was pretty much the last thing I was trying to figure out. I plan on straining the peanut oil with a cheese cloth-lined funnel and frying up another bird later for a playoff game or something. Too expensive to waste if reusable. Thanks for the links as well. Here is another that I found pretty helpful http://briansbelly.com/featured-new/deep-fried-turkey/

happy holidays

10. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

I do inject, but not very often. I let my rub do most of the talking. So mostly I use a dry brine on my turkey. Let it sit for a day or so. Then let her fry. :)

11. Awesome Jerry! Any chance we could get a glimpse into that dry brine recipe???

My two birds are sitting pretty in the fridge saran wrapped up hopefully drying out and getting ready for 350 degrees of heaven!