Deer Falls?????

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Old Man, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,401 / 0
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

Ok here is a question for all of you that fish the N/Fork of the Skykomish. They say the river is closed from Bear Creek Falls to Deer Falls in the regs. I have searched high and low on many maps and have yet to find Deer Falls. The question is does anybody know of a map that this is on or is the Dept of F&W just blowing smoke up our butts?

Jim

P/S this is a real question.
  2. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I've wondered the same thing, and here is what I found:

Deer Falls are on the river at 2100' where the river leaves a tight mountainous channel, and enters a wider alluvial channel and Bear Creek falls are at 1400' near the San Juan Campground.

If you have any questions about where they are recheck your maps.

This is farther up the river than I have ever fished, but once on a drive over Jack's Pass, I went by the area, and I think it was well marked.

Rob
    ---------
    Genetic pollution damages wild
    stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!
  3. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +678 / 1
    Damn, I get weak in the knees when I hear talk like that...

Roper,

Vincit Omina Veritas
  4. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Actually, I should have said "alluvial valley", but my first comment was likely correct, too. I just don't think that most FFers can tell the difference between alluvial and non-alluvial channels.

Rob
    ---------
    Genetic pollution damages wild
    stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!
  5. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,401 / 0
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

I don't think that you got the right answer to the question. I fish or used to fish that area all the time before they closed it down so the fish could have spawning grounds not messed with. I know where Bear Creek Falls as I hiked down to it one time when I was alot younger. What I'm trying to find out what map shows Deer Falls. I've searched over Forest Service Maps, Washington State Atlas's,County Maps. Nothing is shown. I would just like to know what map it is shown on. I also went thru the map server on this site.

Some people collect fishing gear,I just like to read maps and find out where things are. It's just what I like to do.

Jim