Deer Hair Emerger Pattern

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by ceviche, Apr 23, 2003.

1. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    I was just over at Flyfishing and Flytying's website, and noticed this wonderfully simple emerger pattern. Tied on a light scud hook, it is an alternative pattern to the Klinkenhammer that is simpler to tie. Since I'm trying to spend more time at the vise while struggling with my fragile attention span, I'm always looking for easily tied flies. This looks like one that fits the bill and is very effective. After all, more often than not, emerger patterns tend to trump full drys. Click below and see for yourself. Those UK'ers are always up to something interesting! And when you're done, toast the discovery with a Guinness Stout! :beer1

<http://www.flyfishing-and-flytying.co.uk/patterns/dh_emerger.html>
  2. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +243 / 1
    And just when I was feeling pretty satisfied that I had emergers covered with Klinkenhammers and one or two other patterns that sit just right in the film. But none of them are quite this easy.

This is one of the nicest emergers I've seen in quite a while. Simple to tie with all the right stuff and plenty of room for adaptation. Good find.

TC
  3. Tightline Brian Perry

Seattle, Wa, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have been tying those in Cream to imitate the Light Cahill hatch that comes off the Chattahoochee tailwater in the springs... AWESOME pattern. It is like a comparadun tied onto a scud hook. Fish destroy em.
  4. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +243 / 1
    Well,
    I tied a few of these things with adapted color, size and materials for both emerging chironimids and callibetis, using a Partridge John Veniard grub/shrinp hook. Then I sat back and looked at them, "hhmmm, not a terribly elegant fly" not sure that I wanted to pursue the pattern any further I decided to give them the float test in a glass of water. Damned if they don't look good from the fishes viewpoint. It is apparent that the picked out guard hairs in the dubbing in front of the wing is an important feature as it effectively imitates legs splayed on the surface as the adult is pulling itself out of the pupal case.
  5. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +770 / 1
    another Deer Hair Emerger Pattern

There's another pattern that's even simpler.

Dub an appropriate color body (olive, tan, gray)

Tie in a small amount of deer hair, tips toward the hook point.
    Tie off about an 1/8 to a 1/16 inch back towards the point and then double the deer hair tips towards the eye.
    This will create back of the thorax.
    Tie off the deer hair again, just aft of the eye, this forms the front of the thorax and forms the wing.
    Secure a couple of wraps around the wing forming it on the top of the hook, pushing the eye away from it for ease of tying on.
    This pattern sits vertically in the surface and looks real good when a big hatch is going off and they're hitting on top.
    We have had hot results at Chopaka with this when the mayflies are coming off!

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...
  6. ceviche Active Member

Hey Roper--what type and size of hook are you talking about here?
  7. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch

Tiemco 200 dry fly, size 18 to 12 depending on the local hatches.

How about I scan one in??? I'll do it tonight if I remember.

Roper,

8. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch

here's the photo...

Roper,

9. ceviche Active Member

Very nice! :thumb One thing, though. Isn't the Tiemco 200 one of those hooks that Stimulators are tied on, as well as many of those R. Kaufmann patterns? Would a Tiemco 100 hook work as well?
  10. mat1226 Active Member

Bellingham, WA.
    Ratings: +28 / 0

Roper,

Do you ever rib this pattern for Chopaka like the original pattern in this thread?

Mark
  11. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch

No Mark, this was the only version we whipped up at Chopaka. It worked, so there was not reason to vary it. But, there's no reason not to either...!

Roper,

12. mat1226 Active Member

Bellingham, WA.
    Ratings: +28 / 0

Thanks, It ties real nice. I will be trying it in Chopaka the week of June 15 with my 15 year old who is just finally getting into flyfishing. Nothing like the present time.

Mark