Deer hair

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by mike doughty, Mar 14, 2005.

1. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

I know i have asked the question about stacking deer hair and i am ordering a video on using deer hair, but i need a quick fix. i am tying caddis dries and using deer hair for the wing and when i try and 1/2 hitch the wing turns over on me. how do i prevent this? i made the first couple of wraps loose and the next were tight and the head flaired like it is supposed to but the wing is rolling when i try and tighten my knot.

2. steve s

steve s Member

Try a figure 8 over the deer hair for your first loose wrap. I sometimes will put the deer hair on the side of the hook and have my wraps pull it to the top.
    hope this helps,

Steve S

3. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

I know two ways to keep deer hair or elk hair "down" wings from rolling on the hook shank, but it depends what type of pattern you're tying. It would be kind of tough to explain without visuals, but let me know what fly you're tying, and I'll give it a go.

4. Calvin1

Calvin1 Member

Another thing you can try is putting a thread wrap around the hair bundle before securing it to the hook shank. Not sure if that is clear or not. Once you've tied down your wire, securing your hackle, hold the hair bundle above the hook shank. Wrap the bobin around the bundle once, and then take the second wrap around the hook. This should secure the bundle to the top of the hook shank.

Calvin

5. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

I second Calvin's suggestion...That is the way I have done it for years and it seems to me to be the best way I can get the hair to do what I want.

On mine though after I put a loop around the bundle of hair I'll put the bundle to the side of the hook shank and that way when I put my second and third loop around both the bundle and the shank(slowly pulling it tight) it will move the bundle of hair to the top of the hook shank.

:thumb:

6. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

I found out that is was because i was tying the hair on a bare part of the hook, no thread base.

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

A little dab of head cement at the tying in point will also help. I got this off the video by Chris Helm on tying with Deer Hair. Very helpful.

Jim

8. cmtundra

cmtundra New Member

iagree

I'm pretty much a newB myself, but this has helped me a lot. Whether or not the recipe calls for it, I almost always put a thread base on the entire shank that will have material on it. Then I apply a thin layer of cement to the whole thread base, just enough to make the tread tacky & help it stick to the shank. It may be cheating, but I can tell a big difference.