deer & rainbow lake

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by brookies4life, May 22, 2012.

1. Went fishing a couple of days ago on a Young Marines leader encampment. was stocked the day before we got there. hundreds ringing in the evening. no big ones, 8-14 inchers. but if you want to perfect some techniques, or feel rusty, this would be a good time to go. all the campers were to lazy to hike to deer, and just went to rainbow. so there were quite a few fish at deer. deer is a pretty small lake, so you don't have to wait for them to loop around, and they kinda just swirl around in the middle of the lake. so the farther you cast, the quicker you get a hit. and most casts, as soon as the bobber(gear fishing) hit the water, it went down. I needed some to eat, and wasn't sure if I would be able to catch my dinner with a fly rod. that and it's being repaired. but as good as it was, there would have been no trouble. rainbow was different. we hiked the small mountain/hill behind it, and I saw that if you fish the small jetty, it's about 4-5 feet for 60 feet out. everywhere else it's deep. no pics because we didn't have a camera, sorry. please post results if you go.