Define your "exceptional" searun cutt

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Stonefish, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I was reading a blurb in a flyfishing magazine yesterday regarding searun fishing in Puget Sound. The author stated that 20" fish are not exceptional, foot long fish are common and flyfishing for cutts has never been better.
    I personally disagree that a 20" searun isn't an exceptional fish. You can fish many long hard hours before hooking up a 20" searun.
    If I catch a 20" searun, not only would I consider that an exceptional fish, that would be an exceptional fishing day. I've alway considered src's to be great fish. In my opinion, anything 16" or bigger to be super quality fish.

So, what would you consider your exceptional src?

2. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Brian, what magazine, which article, and who was the author? Man, a 20" searun is exceptional! As you said, a searun 16" or better is a very nice fish.

3. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    Brian, I agree that anything over 16 inches is exceptional for a SRC. Most of the fish in Case Inlet tend to be 10 to 12 inches however last year I hooked at least 4 fish in the 18-20+ range in front of my house. I think the SRC population is improving in my neck of the woods. David

4. Benni

Benni Member

Media:
    i read the same thing, and just shrugged my shoulders. i think a 20" cutt is pretty darn exceptional. maybe just a typo or ingnorance. oh well!
    richard-
    it was in the fly fish america march copy, 6th annual salt edition.

ben

5. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Lots of hype in fly fishing mags.

6. Hooker

Hooker Banned or Parked

I hate fly fishing magazines. Sure the pictures are cool, and they make you fantasize about great destinations, but in the end, who knows if the guy writing can even fish or know what he is talkin about.
    Really goes to show that anybody with some real writing talent and a propensity to make no money can get stuff published. :beathead:

7. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    I agree that a 20" SRC is exceptional. I have still yet to catch one!

8. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I have fished almost twice a week since October. I would say 18" and above is an exceptional fish. I have got my fair share since Fall and I would say this has been an exceptional year for me for SRC's. The fish I think are really exceptional tho, are the ones that thrash, jump like a rainbow, and run! Oh yeah baby, and they only have to be 14-15" at times for me to put them on the "E" list! :)

9. Nick Andrews

Nick Andrews New Member

Media:
    Fly Fishing Mags Suck, they are full of s***. Most of those guys that write are only in the business to make themselves look good so they can sell more crap. People always get subscriptions for me as gifts so I do read them, but I treat most of them like tabloids.

Twenty plus inch SRC's fight like crazy (more like salmon then your typical trout), Larry is correct the 14 to 16 fish fight more like trout. Guys that write crap like that probably have not spent the time on the water or have the knowledge necessary to fully appreciate what it would take for a SRC to get that large. I have caught my fair share of twenty inch fish and they are few and far between then I think most people think. The exception being those of us that put hundreds of hours a year on the water fishing for SRC's.

10. Mark Ritari

Mark Ritari Trouthunter

Media:
    Home Page:
    Im not a big fan of that magazine at all. I was reading an article about the Clark'S fork and Bitteroot rivers. besides the fact that no one calls it Clark's Fork anymore, the author had the gumption to say that fish to 10 lbs are common!!!:rofl:

11. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    He probably didn't know the difference between the Clark Fork and Clark's Fork of the Yellowstone and assumed the names were interchangeable.

12. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

Media:
    I was just reading the washington report in FFA and it was talking about the excellent searun brown trout fishery we have here something I'm pretty sure doesn't exist.
    tony

13. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Media:
    Thats news to me. Anyone else know about this?

14. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    Those searun browns are the ones you catch right at the sewage treatment outlet. Must be just off Magnolia. Not much fight in them.

15. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    Anything over 16-17 inches is a great fish. anything over 20" is exceptional. There just arent many that break that mark. Obviously this guy has no idea what he is talking about or it was a typo.

16. Jeff Hale

Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Media:
    What Smartie said; WORD. 16 inches is a darn nice sea-run. I don't complain ever if I am catching sea-runs. I don't care if they are 6 inches or 16!

17. MasterAnglerTaylor

MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Media:
    HAHA man "go fish's" comment is making me laugh pretty hard.

18. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    Do they mean escaped atlantic salmon? :beathead:

My biggest cutt was 16 inches, I don't expect to ever catch anything much bigger than that as a sea run fish (theres a couple lakes in this general area which are rumored to have 26" fish... But those are residents). I think a 20" fish in the salt would be exceptional.

19. Gertie's Pa

Gertie's Pa New Member

Exceptional src's have very little to do with size. Last fall I was targeting salmon on the Skokomish. The chinooks were their usual tight-lipped selves but I noticed src's taking bugs off the surface. I took the 8wt to the car, gabbed the 4wt and tied on my best october caddis pattern. I took "exceptional" fish between 10 and 15 inches for the next hour or so. Those cutts turned an uneventful trip into a memory that will last forever.

20. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I beached 6 SRC yesterday on the Canal. Nothing giant, but lots of fun with one running 15+. A smaller fish of about 13 or 14 came "screaming" out of the water with my fly in her mouth before I had the chance to set the hook. It was wild. Just like a rainbow. I did manage to beach her tho. Damn I love those fish. A few of us crazy SRC fisherman will have to get together sometime. :thumb: