Define your "exceptional" searun cutt

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Stonefish, Apr 14, 2008.

1. hendersonbaylocal Member

Seattle WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Good call Freedon... The SC15s are great hooks for cutthroat flies!

I think there are alot of people who have the misconception that you need to run light tippet in the saltwater. It's been more than a year since I've broken a fish off in the salt and that was a fat silver that took a big dive right when I had him next to the boat and broke my knot. I run 8 and 10 lb Maxima pretty exclusively and don't feel like I'm spooking any fish. I don't think there's any reason to fish anything much lighter.

As far as the size doesn't matter argument - it does to me! Not that I don't like catching the little guys, but I'm out there for the big fatties!
  2. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +567 / 0
    I use the SS15's. I do like them, although it is easy to snap a point off on the beach with a low backcast (that never happens to you guys tho right? :rolleyes:) They are nice and sharp hooks however. If you find a good replacement, tell me. I used them on Chum a few times and did ok, however, they bend easily on fish like that. I also had them snap them. I wrote a letter to Gamakatsu and sent the bent flies with no response back. Pretty poor customer service if you ask me, although I probably should not have used them for salmon. Still was somewhat disappointed that they said NOTHING.
  3. Don Freeman Free Man

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +219 / 0
    Dryfly;

I noticed that you're using the SS15 hooks and bending the shanks on big fish. Gama makes two hooks that are very similar, the SC and SS 15's. Same wire and gape, but the SS 15 is the longer shank. I found that I was losing more fish after hook ups on the SS, so I use the shorter SC15 now. I realize that you can't tie a longer pattern on the short shank without inviting short strikes, but with tube flies, that isn't an issue.
  4. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +567 / 0
    Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.
  5. GerryH New Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    An exceptional searun is hard to define - the varied spotting of each fish, the way some fish fight harder than others, the surface takes, the rose blush on the operculum in late fall, it's hard to say....just being out on the water with the opportunity to fish for searuns is exceptional to me.
    I try to minimize my impact on this world class fishery by using small hooks (SC15's in #4), netting the fish quickly without a "fight", and using a shallow catch and release net in which I keep all landed fish cradled in the net under the water surface while I remove the hook. If I take a photo - the fish stays in the water.
  6. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Jimbo

My tracks along SW Washington rivers, among others; the Quinault, Hoquiam, Palix, Wishkah, Satsop, Wynoochie, Humptulips, to name just a few, were set into the sand primarily in the late 1940s through the mid-1960s (with the exception of a tour in the Marine Corps). At the time I lived in Aberdeen.
    I'm glad that you have enjoyed my cutthroat books. It is always good to know that at least some of those tattered copies have been useful.
    Good Fishing,
    Les
  7. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +686 / 0

I was thinking the same thing. Atlantic Salmon can range thousands of miles.
  8. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +707 / 0
    There is no question that those atlantics that escape from the net pens do shotgun through out the region. I remember that last time there was a large number of escapees from the pens by Cypress they fish were noted in virtually very Puget Sound River from the Frasser to the Elwha within week of the great escape.

Over the years I have seen several proported brown trout from local anadromous rivers and pictures of a dozen or so others. One was a very large Atlantic in full spawning color and the rest were small Chinook in spawning colors; they do sometimes take on that "buttery" color of mature brown - especially the Jacks.

I remeber a Hunt for Big Fish esipode were Dalhberg was fishing Argentine Rivers for sea-run browns. He caught one excetional large fish (over 30) and commented on the large teeth that "big old brown" had- it was of course a large male Chinook. Since then I have heard that at least some Chinooks have become established in one or more of those rivers.

I do recall that there was one brown confirmed in the Bellingham Bay area - probably from Squalicum lake.

Tight lines
    Curt