Demystifying Skagit and Scandi Heads

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Steelie Mike, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    [​IMG]

There has been a lot of talk over the last few years regarding the differences between skagit and scandi lines, and still at times there is quite a bit of confusion. This week Wednesday Sexyloops topic makes the differences simple, Skagit and Scandi Simplified. This article was written by our very own K2Flyfisher. I suggest you all check it out.

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Is that a Vosseler and a Steelhead in the same money shot? Double drool. Thanks for the article link. Seeking demystification is my path to wander. I think this is a great article.

3. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Nice article. I'm linking it.

4. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    Nice Brian, simple and easy to understand.

5. CoastalCutt

CoastalCutt Member

Media:
    Mr. Davidchik, nice post. Mr. Chou, nice write. Really informational.

6. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
  7. inland

inland Active Member

Better not let Ed find this article ;) ...he will have a field day with the huge ommission in the Skagit description.

William

8. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Everybody's an expert.

9. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

Media:
    Here, Here...............good work BC

10. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    Yeah! What's Ed got? Just kidding Mr. Ward. Even that Canadian Michelle Kinnay aka Mike Kinney will be asking me, who the hell is Chow and Davidachex? I'm going to say, man I don't know nuttin. I'm a dumb old overheader. When we gonna fish, Mike? Nice work though. I envy those that can put it into words.

11. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    Nice article Brian! Wish I would have gone to your talk at Orvis a while back.

12. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    I like this simply put. Tell Brian great job! Now that I have both a scandi and a skagit I understand it well due to trial and error. I look forward to using the scandi for the dries this summer! Thanks for sharing Mike!

13. FT

FT Active Member

William,

Someone ought to tell the Scandanavians that they can't cast large flies and tubes on Scandi lines or heavy sinking head Scandi lines either, since apparently Scandi lines are only good for casting small flies and dry lines or very slow sinking and light sinktips. As Kerry said, "Everybody's and expert."

14. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    It's all very clear to me now, but for the life of me I can't find the Scandi River in the WDFW regs.

When does it open?

15. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Apparently you forgot to read this, "To get flies very deep, a full sinking shooting head is typically employed. " You might want to take a peak at Guideline's Power Density Double Density Shooting Heads for the two hander. While you are at it, you might want to find out who Brian is and why certain members of the Federation of Fly Fishers have asked Brian to do talks on this very topic. But as you said, "Everybody's and expert." ;)

16. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I know this much, I don't know chit. I started throwing string with a 2 hander back before anyone had named it Skagit casting or Skagit lines. Somewhere along the years I heard about Scandi lines. WTF? I don't think I have ever seen one but I wouldn't know because I wouldn't know one if I did see it. My fishing partner uses a DT line on his 2 handers. I have cast it a few times and it works to get the fly out. I am still using lines I made over 10 years ago. The only factory line I ever had was a wind cutter. Used it one day and sold it. Every line I have for my 2 handers I made myself except for one which I think the Sultan made. I guess my lines are considered Skagit lines but I don't know for sure. I play with lines until they cast the way I want them to. I listen to others who make lines and try their suggestions; if they work I keep doing it.

Good work Brian and Mike. It helps people understand what this 2 handed stuff is. Some like to analyze stuff. Some like to try every new thing that comes along. Cool. Whatever throws your line. I guess the more information we get out there the better. Personally I like it simple. No taper at either end to speak of, just line that flies out the guides when I want it to. Skagit, Sacndi, long belly, short belly, DT, whatever. It’s all good.

17. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    yup.
    skagit, scandi, or bellies...the choices are varied, interesting and fun.

I cast all ways, and a couple that haven't been invented yet:rofl:

my favorite small-stream tactic is named SKANDIT.

get out there and have fun, guys. it's supposed to be recreational...:thumb:

18. Grayone

Media:
    Brian Chou is a Geek...............................................a spey Geek:D:D:D He is also my jedi spey master...............:ray1::ray1::ray1:

Keith

19. k2flyfisher

k2flyfisher its taco time. wheres the sauce?

Media:
    Home Page:
    really...theres always a couple in every bunch that have completely missed the point and feel the need to "weigh in" in their own fabricated corner. no surprise there. :thumb:

but with that said, the point of this article, as well as the talks ive given, are to not dust every single corner of the shooting head arena and its history, but to take the questions ive been asked and group them into what i have found to be an effective and simple way to help everyone from beginners to experts understand the basic uses of these lines, why they do their jobs well, and why they have their limitations. i dig analogies...theyre fun to use when communicating, but as it will always be when speaking to a large crowd, not everyone will get them. i'm fine with the vast majority..the rest are more than welcome to click that little PM button and ask away! as stated above, its all recreation...and we can make it as simple or complicated as we would like...personally, as many of you may have guessed, ive always wanted to know the why behind things, its what keeps me awake at night. that and doing what i can to help assist others in finding their grasp on this passion of mine. i aim to work smarter, not harder. theres always a more efficient way to do something where you waste no effort and are nasty effective...i KNOW im not the only one who has wondered how they could get that extra rotation from that curveball from adjusting where you hold the seams or how if you let go of the quarter just a shade before it bounces that you can get way more height and accuracy to drop it into the shotglass! on that note, heres a video of my buddy making the most incredible quarters shot of all time....but like Keith said, i'm a geek. always have been...fish on...:beer2:

20. Grayone

Media:
    Holy Shit!!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb: (nice quarter shot)