Depth checker alternative to forceps

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Craig Hardt, Apr 9, 2014.

1. An option for setting indicator/full sink depth without risking loss of forceps (1/2oz bell sinker, alligator clip, and a bit of 5 minute epoxy). And don't forget to remove it prior to casting...not that I've ever done that.

photo.JPG

2. Hi Craig,
    I use the black metal binder clips that one typically uses to hold together a 40-100 sheets of paper. I can clip it to my vest when I'm not using it, clip it to the bottom fly to establish depth, and if I lose it, I'm out next to nothing.

Steve

Duane J and Ron McNeal like this.
  3. I use a marking pen on my anchor rope. Put the marks at 5' intervals. O, and be sure to include the length of your anchor in the first measurement!

4. Ha! I used to have two lug nuts off of a 8N tied on some string wrapped around a stick...of course it was knotted every 5 feet for accuracy...:rolleyes:

5. This does not work if you are setting your anchor at an angle for wind or for easier fish fighting. The "hemostat" method is much more accurate when testing the depth directly below where you are fishing. The problem then is what is the depth where you are fishing? You can either "cast" your line with the hemostats attached to approximately where you want to fish fish or you can anchor where you want your indicator to fish, set your depth there, pull up anchor and re-anchor where you can now cast to the depth.

Then of course you could just set your depth cast out, if you hit bottom, adjust your indicator.

The other problem now comes with lake bottoms that are silty in nature and your hemostats sink down into the mire 6" to a foot before the settle. Now if you set your bottom fly 6" to a foot off the bottom, they are actually sitting in the muck. You can combat this by changing your depth if you are not hitting fish, "feeling the anchor as it hits the bottom or seeing what kind of muck you pull up with the anchor.

Duane J likes this.
  6. my problem is determining at what depth the fish are feeding. i don't have a fish finder and with wind & no visible feeding pattern & a sparse hatch. i find myself guessing. sometimes catch a few, then nothing for 20-30 minutes. don't have a strategy for those times. ??

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  7. The strategy from the experts is to start the day a foot off the bottom and then work up in the water column if you aren't finding active fish feeding. When allowed, I will use two or three flies, each 18 - 24" apart. If I start with the bottom fly a foot off the bottom, the top fly is 4 feet above that. [But to be honest, the bottom fly is generally the most successful.] If you see fish swirling at or near the surface, your flies ought to be shallow too.

Steve

triploidjunkie and Irafly like this.
  8. My favorite is called a "Speed Plummet". Super simple and fast. Just squeeze to open, insert hook into hole and drop overboard. An O ring holds the two halves together tightly. Unlike using forceps or alligator clips, I've not lost one yet!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397343504.495727.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397343516.101798.jpg

9. That's really cool Sue-didn't I see those advertised on Adam and Eve?:D

Ive

10. Made up two of these. Used em this weekend. my epoxy job was not so neat, but they work like a charm!
    I will give one to my buddy that is just getting into fly fishing. Thanks for the idea Craig!

Ron

11. I used to carry those in High School...:cool: less the sinker...

Richard Olmstead likes this.
  12. I tied a 1 ounce sinker onto a 15 ftrope and marked it at 10 feet. I tie it to my oar lock when not is use.
    simple and effective but not catching too many on chiros' this season yet.
    guess I need to go out again to dial it in.

13. Rubber band (thick and wide like the ones used to hold asparagus together) looped through a 1 or 2 oz pyramid sinker. Stick hook through rubber band and send it down into the abyss. Feel the bottom out by hand lining and adjust accordingly. Shoots lots of leader out of the guides quickly, cheap, doesn't tear up flies/hooks like forceps and roach clips, and I've never lost one. Canadian approved for deep water slip bobbering!

Starman77 likes this.