Derelict Net Video

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jonathan Tachell, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Ratings: +187 / 0
    Found this video on youtube. I don't know any specifics about the actual situation and don't know if it is a tribal net as claimed on the video. Either way non tribal or tribal it is an example of what can be caught in ghost nets and how it effects our fisheries and overall health of Puget Sound. I thought some might find it interesting.
  2. Puget Sound Pimp Banned or Parked

Ratings: +9 / 0
    People that set those nets need to be put away. I think the indians should have their rights to net taken away as well, they don't need to be setting nets.
    Blktailhunter likes this.
  3. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +274 / 0
    Sucks to see that. I talked to a fisheries woman the other day that said they recently found steelhead in the tribal nets near the fishery she works at. I hate to hear of these "accidental" catches/kills when the wild population is already decimated. This goes for steelhead, SRC, the various salmon that aren't being targeted, etc.
  4. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Yeah the impacts on non targeted species caught in gill nets is nothing new but its still a tough pill to swallow.
  5. Jim Darden Active Member

Bellingham, Wa.
    Ratings: +222 / 0
    Well, this is what the citizens of the state (and all the green groups) said they wanted when we voted on the gill net initiative. Wonder how TU, Sierra Club, and others would react to this video today after their support of gill nets.
  6. Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Tacoma
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    For what it's worth, I don't find the video interesting. I find it appalling.
    What a waste of wildlife; regardless of species.
  7. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    I completely agree!
  8. Derek Day Rockyday

Olympia
    Ratings: +146 / 0
    The puget sound legacy nets are coming out. I went on a ride along on a derelict gear removal boat today. It was cool to see it happening. These nets are devastating--they also represent one of the best returns on investment for restoration dollars (btw).

The Northwest Straits Foundation has been spearheading the majority of derelict gear removal in PS, they're a great resource--and a fantastic organization doing really good work!
    http://www.derelictgear.org/

A majority of the nets are from the late 70s early 80s. We now have a mandatory lost net reporting law in WA. Yet no new commercial nets have been reported...best estimates sat around 30 nest are lost per year. If you ask me, I'd say if the washington state (not tribal) commercial gillnetters can't comply, they should lose their privilage to fish.

The tribes have actually reported some nets!
  9. Puget Sound Pimp Banned or Parked

Ratings: +9 / 0
    Feed for the homeless people
  10. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +821 / 0
    I'd really like to see more effort on lead removal and possibly a ban in our rivers, Its ridiculous how much gear drift "fisherman" and plunkers leave in the system. I watched a guy lose 4 rigs in the duwamish the other day, each rig had a 4oz pyramid sinker, thats a pound of lead for one fisherman, one day, not to mention the rest of the rig.