Descaling a Pink Salmon.

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by jsuyes, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Scott Orness Small fish in a big pond

Poulsbo, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I don't worry about scales on any of my salmon regardless of species, but my grandfather uses the hose method talked about above. Works great!
  2. hap Member

Anchorage, Alaska
    Trying to find the study results done on commercial scaling of fish with high pressure water nozzles... And the damage it does to the texture of the meat, especially if the fish is in rigor when scaled.

Cannot imagine scaling salmon, especially those tiny-scaled humpies...

If anyone really wants to get sick/laugh/stand amazed they need to go to the mouth of the Kenai River when dip netting is legal for residents. You will see people literally toss their salmon down in the sand and fillet it there. Then toss the fillets literally into one big sandy pile. Unreal!!!!!!
    art
  3. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Rinse em and they'll be fine, seriously
  4. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +563 / 0
    Yeah, and I bet you Alaska folks eat an orange without peeling it also! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
  5. Tony Tony

Lynnwood Wa
    Ratings: +52 / 0
    when I used to bother with it I just used a spoon.
    tony
  6. jsuyes FFF-CCI

Kent, Wa
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Fellas, Thanks.

I left the scales on and totally botched the smoking job. Im blaming it on the smoker. Its going back to Amazon tomorrow. Maybe I will start a new thread about a decent electric smoker.

John
  7. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    We caught over two million pinks in my short 40 year career, fresh fish from salt throw it on the barbie, fish from the skagit smoke with caution. fresh fish in the N. fork skagit skin the skin and fat off then throw on the barbie, burlington on up throw the fish in the garbage and skin the raccoon or possum for some wonderful eatin that get into your garbage, TIC guys
  8. hap Member

Anchorage, Alaska
    My fish NEVER touch freshwater after filleting. There is no saltwater clean enough to rinse a fillet in at the Kenai mouth. The quality lost in a quick freshwater rinse is huge. Please try it. I doubt you will be less than shocked.

Quality post freezing as tested at the fish tech center in Kodiak was also huge...

And all of that assumes you could get all the sand out...
    art