Deschutes River, WA?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by see trout, May 11, 2002.

1. see trout New Member

Bonney Lake, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    i have heard this river has some good fishing for trout. I was wondering if it is for sea runs or resident trout and how big are they? i also heard this stream has been made C&R recently. Also, were is a good place to access this stream, and is it open now? Any info would be grreatly appreciated.

Catch and release for the future :HAPPY
    justin
  2. Scott New Member

North Bend, WA, USA.
    Hi Justin... There is a good write up in the Spring edition of Northwest Fly Fishing on the Deschutes... Good Luck!
  3. trouthunter New Member

Olympia, WA, USA.
    The Deschutes is a fun river to fish. It has a pretty good population of resident cutthroat and I've heard that people have caught browns in there, although I never personally have. I don't believe the river is stocked at all.

Cutthroat range from really tiny up to 10-13 inches. You'll have to wade through a lot of little ones before you catch a big one, though. Hopefully the new C&R regs will let some of the big ones survive a little longer so more people can enjoy them.

There's usually a good BWO hatch in the afternoons/evenings, so make sure you've got some with you. Also, the basics work pretty well, ie, parachute adams, hare's ears, prince nymphs and pheasant tails. A lot of people are big on the cone-head buggers and other streamers, but they really haven't produced for me. Have some with you just in case.

In all, the Deschutes does not produce like the Oregon Deschutes, but it's a good way to spend a lazy afternoon. You'll get some action, but it won't be huge rainbows. If you like 8-10 inchers, have at it.

Wait a minute, what am I saying? Er... it's a terrible river, go home no fish here! (heehee)
  4. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +165 / 0
    There are some big cutthroat, 16 - 18" - not many though - in the Dechutes. Start in Tumwater and wind your way up stream. There are a few bridges that cross the river that provide access. During the summer, be prepared for the party rafts. If you get to come of the riffles, try skipping an elk hair caddis across the surface.
  5. see trout New Member

Bonney Lake, WA, USA.
    Thank you guys for the info, i am happy to see another river become catch and release, too bad they cant all be that way. I can't wait to get down there to fish. Once again, thank you. :BIGSMILE

Catch&Release4thefuture
    Justin :THUMBSUP
  6. OlyTroutGuy New Member

Olympia, Washington, USA.
    Head to Weyerhauser land for a little hike and some 15-17 inch cutts. Vail area by Rainier.
  7. union2k2 New Member

lakewood, washington, usa.
    ive been wanting to post on this for awhile but couldnt sign on. deschutes is my home river. or was until i moved to tacoma. the story of the 16 to 18 inch cutts just isnt true. i fished the deschutes alot and an 18 inch cutt is a trophy. mostly you catch little 6-8 inchers but you will catch a couple over 12 inches. you can get a salmon everyonce in awhile but theyre usually beat up by the time they pass the falls. i do know of a hole with good sized trout swimming in it. in between the 2 parks on the golf course there is a section with fast moving water on the east side of the river with tree branches overhanging the water. its a deep hole too. its hard to cast a fly to. what i call the deschutes river special is a plain silver mepps spinner size 0. for those of you not scared to cast metal. and no ive never seen a brown come out of the deschutes. but ive caught plenty of sculpins. rub one on a minnow imitation and it should produce. ive seen guys cut the sculpin tails off and tip their spinners with it.
  8. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Ratings: +84 / 0

I'll agree on the size of the fish... anything over 12" is a real nice trout, but with that said, there are larger cutts in there (caught some 14"-15" trout myself).

BUT as for the falls, I have a hard time believe that any fish get above the falls. I've got pretty far upstream, and frankly there are at *best* tiny trout and more than likely it's pretty much sterile. There is no way that I can see any salmon getting up the falls either. It's a 20' plunge into a pool and not a gradual drop.

-- Cheers
    -- James
  9. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Sorry, kingjamm - you're wrong. There are large trout in the Deschutes. I have hit them up to 18", just have to know where and how. I happened to pick one up in the rr trestle "swimming hole" outside of Rainier. Don't get me wrong, most of the fish are like you mentioned although, I've had good days on 10-12". The Falls are there BUT there is also a fish ladder opposite the brewery - the salmon / cutthroat can make it up the river.
  10. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

If you use that Mepps, remember, selective fishery. No bait, single barbless hooks, no scents. Catch and release except for hatch steelhead.
  11. union2k2 New Member

the salmon go up the river. so do cutts and steelhead. its very unlikely that you would catch a steelhead but you could get into a beat up, black, beautiful king. and you have to admit that the 18 inch trout is very rare and that the 14-18 inch trout is hard to come by. the best fishing on the deschutes ive found is by floating the river to the holes that are covered with overhanging trees. also making casting a fly very hard.
  12. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    I never said they (large trout) *didn't* exist. I merely said they were rare, and that I haven't caught anything larger than 15"s... Even you yourself must admit that 18" trout aren't something you catch all of the time. With that said, I do think that the fishery will get better over time. The river is relatively unpolluted, has a *huge* population of caddis, and is well loved by the FF community :)

As for the trestle, that's a *great* spot, but there always seems to be someone around (float tubers, dogs, etc...) What time do you hit it?

As for other spots have you gone from the vail loop bridge downstream and fished around the "granite bend" (approx 1/2 mile away)? I don't know rightly if the place has a name, it's just that spot where the river turns to large boulders at a 90 degree bend. I was there when the water was high and got skunked, but it *looked* like a good spot.

Lastly, the falls are way up stream. I know the salmon and cutts can get into the river, I'm just debating whether they can get over the falls...

-- Cheers
    -- James
  13. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    BTW, you interested in getting together for some fishing? While I live in Tacoma, the Deschutes is pretty much my home river.... I've been all over the upper part of the river (up to and past the falls), but the lower river (Pioneer Park to Rainer) is relatively a mystery to me.
  14. OlyFlyguy Member

Olympia, WA.
    I'm new to this forum but have been following along for over a year.

The discussion about the Deschutes caught my eye since I've spent a lot of time on the river over the past 4 years. I agree there are SOME large trout, but they are indeed few and far between. Typically larger fish are SRCs heading up to spawn in Fall, not natives. Yes there are some larger fish, and getting bigger, hopefully now that the river is open year-round and more flyfishers are on the river to discourage bait-chuckers and poachers--a big problem. But I've found 'larger native fish ' to rarely be more than 14-16" and that's on a very good day.

The river is very low now, and the larger fish are spooky. If you go be very stealthy. There are some good hatches but so far for me they've only drawn 6-10" fish. The bigger ones are deep and wary.

But hey, that's the challenge, right? Fish on!
  15. troutbum56 New Member

puyallup, wa, usa.
    I've floated the river quite a few times,and have tried most of the water .It can be tough to float due to low water and it can be more of a float and DRAG.I ruptured my pontoon boat a couple of years ago,another drag!If you've ever seen the movie ,Deliverence,its alot like that,pigs sqeeling and banjo's playing.There is some real nice water,and there are a few bigger fish to be had.I've taped a few cutts and rainbows at about 17 inches.All the bigger fish have came out of log jambs fishing with weighted buggers or crawfish patterns.Prince nymphs have also worked well,as well as sparkle pupa and other cadis nymphs and drys.Give it a try but don't bend over if you hear the banjo's and pigs.
  16. flyteen New Member

Port Orchard, WA, USA.
    This is one of my favorite rivers for small cutts. I've been fly fishing for about 2 years, but am still a beginner. I've fished it 3 times at Pioneer Park with good success, for me at least, success is at least one fish to me. I caught my first wild trout there, was about 8" on a PMD dry fly right outside the feeding lane on top of a deep pool. There seems to be a lot of feeding lanes in the pioneer park area. I've only fished dry flys there, but have had good success catching around 3 fish on average (i'm a beginner). My best luck at pioneer park is right around the big bend where there is a small stream running into the river, tons of fish there that seem to always be rising even though I don't even see the bugs. You have to mak long casts if you're casting upstream, because if you get too close to the little creek, it's like quicksand, so you have to stay back and make longer casts. Also, since the flood there this year, I've heard the river is totally different now. I had no idea it's C&R now and open year round. That is so awesome!

*Want to go fishing in or near the penninsula? Please email me! I'm always looking for partners! flyangler2000@msn.com*
  17. union2k2 New Member

when did they open deschutes year round?
  18. DEREK New Member

Olympia, WA.
    This will be the first year.
  19. dcadigan New Member

Olympia, WA, USA.
    I am new to the area but have a unique advantage of having semi private access to the Dechutes River above Pioneer park about 2-3 miles. I have fished it several times will little sucess. I think I need to try up or down river as many kids swin near the access point.
    Can anyone tell me the best areas to try a little Catch and release. I am also having problems finding other access points other than pioneer park. I would like to try upstream. Any names of roads would be helpful.

Thanks
    Devin Cadigan
    cadigan@attbi.com