Describe your dream off the beach fly rod

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jim Mcallister, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Jim Mcallister AKA stillwater guy

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I havent been doing this that long but I have become aware of one thing at least for me .Maybe its my OCD but I havent found the perfect all around rod .Yet. My 5wt TFO casts great till I start using heaver Clousers ,and its hard to beat the wind.My 10 ft Echo fits the bill for those problems,but catching a 14 inch fish on an 8 wt is just a little over kill.Also it starts to get a little heavy after 40-50 casts.I know Iam just a winey little bitch ,but it would be nice to hear other opinions. One other concern I have about a lighter wieght rod is if I actually hook into something big like Don freeman did last year.Personally I am dreaming of a 10 ft rod that has the beginings of an 8wt a fighting butt is a must .Center section would have a good backbone then the top section and tip would be like 4-5wt so the rod would actually bend with smaller fish,but if at sme point in time that 8 lb coho on beach patrol grabs my bug I will be ready . Hah!
  2. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    Discribe your dream off the beach fly rod

Salty 6wt
    9'6" medium fast action with a fighting butt
  3. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    Ratings: +88 / 0

You gots to have a 6 wt for
    da cutts , co-de-ho's,
    blackies, and the scum of the
    salt...pinks.

DK
  4. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +327 / 0

Get a 6wt first then an 8wt for the Don Freeman sized salmon.

9'6" medium-fast or fast action rod with a fighting butt.

I really like the SAGE rods (VT2, XP, Z-Axis, and the new ONE) paired with a lite weight large arbor reel with a cork drag system for the saltwater. You can cast the bigger weighted flies in the salt for hours with them.
  5. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.

DB,

I agree with your choices,
    however to ignore the Sage RPL
    is a grave error. Ask me.

Dave
  6. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +327 / 0

..... and don't forget the Sage RPL. I've seen it land many pinks when in skilled hands.
  7. Jim Mcallister AKA stillwater guy

Olympia, WA

Oh yah .It would be nice to have it cost less then a payment on a BMW
  8. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.

I've seen RPL's go for less than
    $300 but a Sage One, hell I can
    count over a half dozen cars owned
    that cost less than the One but they
    all smelled like Pink jizz.

Bottom line is do not let me try
    your new One because I will want
    One and I know I need help.

Protect me from what I want
  9. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

I've got a 9' 6wt Rainshadow RX8+ that I built, casts close to a Sage XP, with a fighting butt.. My 5wt Helios switch rocks too, with the Orvis switch rod line.. fished both quite hard over the last year on the beaches for sea run's, pinks, etc.. Both are sweet.. imho!
  10. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +229 / 3

I usually fish a fast action 9' 6wt with a fighting butt (dancraft FT), but a 5wt switch is a great option as well - lighter tip and stronger butt with the ability to 2 hand cast when needed.
  11. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0

I think I'm on my 4th or 5th beach rod, I just cashed in my 6wt matte black old-school classic g-loomis 9' 6wt GLX for a loomis NRX 9' 6wt. I've yet to cast a lighter 6wt, it's tits. I cast all the new/good shit at my local fly shop, and this rod was it for me. My advice is to go cast some rods at a shop, then decide. Don't listen to what other folks buy (unless you get an NRX, then you're a f'ing genius). :)
  12. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +312 / 1

I have a Z-Axis 5 wt switch and a Redington CPS 9'6", 6 wt. Right now I'm waiting for Fed Ex and an Xi2 6 wt. I just bought.
  13. Phil Fravel Friendly

Bonney Lake
    Ratings: +96 / 0

5 weight sage XI2 they dont make them, so Im still dreaming. I perfered the XI2 over the Xi3
  14. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,116 / 4

XP 691. Done.
  15. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +202 / 0

My new "beach rod is a 9'6" ONE for six weight. Yowzir! It weighs under 3 ounces, and along with the cutts and rezzies i bought it for, I've landed a 15# chum and about a dozen steelhead. I realize that's not what it was designed for, but like my girlfriend said about the Water Pik, it's just a lot more fun.

With a brand new Outbound Short (7wt), casting over a measuring tape at the park, I could consistently hit within a couple of feet of my hat at 90'. Light, accurate and very powerful. The only reason I abused the rod on big fish is to find out what will happen when Mr. Blackmouth ambushes your clouser in 6' of water. Have no fear.

I think Anil has one of these in stock at his store.
  16. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.

Don,

Don't tempt me,
    I haven't cast One,
    I want to>
    Somebody buy my Grampus
    Bamboo on
    the classifieds.

Finance my habit please.

DK
  17. Jim Mcallister AKA stillwater guy

Olympia, WA

Well I may have fashioned my dream rod .Went out to the shop and gathered up all my old broken rods that I picked up at garage sales and stuff and built a ;frankenrod; .This has 3 sections , the reel seat end is a 9 weight middle is a 7 mediam action and the last foot and a half is the top off of a fast 8 wt .All together adds up to 10 ft .Next I had a cabelas cahill reel not the best but what the hell I got it for free.OK line out to cabelas to use my gift cards .I figured that the tip being fairly lite would handle a 5-6 weight pretty well so I got arole of their Prestige Hypershoot WF6F. After a few casts to get used to the shooting tip I was able to hit 70 feet no trouble. I am pretty sure with a little practice I can get 80 I got lucky the reel seat had a threaded opening in the bottom for the fighting butt that came from another rod.Tomorrow is test day, low slack is at 9;ooam. I probably will not get much sleep tonight in aprehension of all the rezzies that will be pushing each other out of the way to have ago at this thing.Iwill post results hopefully with pictures
  18. Jim Mcallister AKA stillwater guy

Olympia, WA

Well fished it all day and found very little love, only one take but held him for about 4 sec then came off .I have figured out the extra tip extension is to lite . Oh well back to 9 feet
  19. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +753 / 0

13' long
    powerful casts like a 10 wt
    light as an 8.5' 4wt
    fights fish like a 9' 6 wt

looks like i'm out of luck... i'll have to keep fishing my 10' 6 wt or 10' 8wt
  20. Kevin Ryan Member

Olympia, Wash
    Ratings: +2 / 0

Jim: We didn't get a chance to talk about this at the meeting this week, but I'll offer my two cents and it is worth about that. Now the right Sage, an Islander reel with extra spools, and a few Outbound lines would be just fine, but I know you like to be economical. So, let me suggest an 6 wt IM6 graphite blank of 9', or perhaps 10', which you could find on ebay for under $20.00 or so. Who knows what the quality is, but I dare say they will serve well, based on anecdotal evidence. Batson also sells serviceable blanks of that sort at higher cost, but still reasonable.

Then, buy the components - guide set, grip and reel seat - at a good price from ebay or elsewhere and put that rod together. Talk to good old George and George's Rod and Reel Repair in Lacey.

Add a well kept Pflueger Medalist (1495 or 1495 1/2), or the like (rinse it after saltwater use and it will last longer than you do), and some shooting heads you can make from old 8 wt lines. Or, buy some mill end lines cheaply from Mullally's in the UK.

You're in business. You can refine this line of thought no end, but it is credible course to pursue.