Describe your dream off the beach fly rod

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jim Mcallister, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Bob Balder Willing to learn anything...

Seattle
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    No doubt about it, none.
    Sage 6wt. 9'6 RPL.
    Sea Runs to pinks and with a little skill and a good reel..silvers.:thumb:

Save the 8wt. for bone fish, steelhead and coho in the fall.

Been fishing mine for 25 years with one of the original Lamsons. Thanks Tom Darling!:beer1:
  2. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +730 / 1
    Discribe your dream off the beach fly rod

Well, it's going to have to be my new (used, but new to me) Sage VT2 691-4 and my Lamson V2. I just bought the rod to replace the 6 weight RPL that does not have saltwater components. Next up is a SA Streamer Express 200 grain on my spare spool and I'm in business. :thumb:
  3. Frenchie Member

Vancouver, BC
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have been using a Sage 690 xi3, and frankly, i LOVE it.

For strictly searuns or smaller coho, I think I would prefer the 589-4 xi3.... but I'm gunning for the 5110 z-axis right now....

Jon
  4. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +346 / 0
    I'll give you something entirely different to consider.
    If you're after Searun Cutthroat consider that they are a wild, native trout. They are a special fish that have "soul". They evolved naturally and are "organic".
    I want my rod to be organic and have "soul" too. I've come to the realization that having the latest and greatest new "technology" is not the reason that fishing brings me joy.That's why I fish a handmade Orvis Battenkill Bamboo rod that was built in 1967. It's a 6 wt., is "impregnated" like most Orvis bamboo rods are (it helps protect it against the salt), and it catches fish just fine, as long as "I" am doing what I'm supposed to be doing to catch them.
    Almost all my rods are bamboo and that has added a tremendous amount of enjoyment to all of my fishing. I recommend trying a decent bamboo rod. It doesn't have to be expensive either - the Battenkill set me back $350, and it won't go down in value either.
    Since well over 100 years ago bamboo rods have caught everything from bluegill to Tarpon to Marlin. The fish really don't care what material your rod is made out of, trust me.
  5. flyfisherdon New Member

Comox,BC.Canada
    Up until last year, I used a 7100 Sage RPL or a GL Loomis GLX1207, but last year I went with 2 Beulahs, one is a 10'6" 6/7, the other is a 11' 8/9, and I am going to try a Beulah 12'7 7/8.
    The 7 weight single handers easily handled Pinks and Silvers, but I didn't want to have to work so hard to get distance , so went for the switch and surf rods.
    don
  6. Fishee Member

seattle
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    I myself is thinking about getting the Sage ONE 6wt 9.5' with FB. And the flyline should always be 1 weight higher that what rod is rated for; is that correct?
  7. Mike T Active Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +54 / 1
    I'd say that's a good rule of thumb, but you really should cast one yourself just to be sure.
  8. DennisE Topwater and tying.

Tacoma, Washington
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    My favorite beach rod would be anything I have in my hand that is attached to a fish at the other end! :D
  9. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +207 / 0
    Like Mike said, individual tastes vary. You might prefer a different line weight or taper than I. I have both 6 and 7 weight lines for my Xi2 and ONE. Depending on the size of the fly, wind strength and whether I'm boat or beach fishing, I may use a heavier line. Keep in mind that the weight listd on the rod is the lightest line that will load it, not the heaviest it will tolerate.

For instance, I use a 7wt WF F for poppers on a six wt, usually a 6 wt Outbound short for an intermediate, and a 7 wt sinking Outbound or 250 gr. Striper line for fast water.
  10. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    My next rod will probably be selected with beach fishing, shooting heads and the $#@&*ing wind in mind.
    For the time being, I'll make do with what I have. Its not the best, but it can get the job done.
  11. Jim Mcallister AKA stillwater guy

Olympia, WA
    Well I found my love.Last week at Cabelas captains weekend they had a CZN in a 10 ft 5wt .After a few casts at my fav beach,I found it to cast well even into a slight wind.I averaged 60 -70 feet after 10 or so casts.The line I put on it is cabelas premier in a 5wt floating with a10 ft clear intermediat sink tip . Altogether it is a nice combo
  12. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +317 / 1
    Why would you overline your rod? It seems to me that you will be "mushing out" your rod and losing the intended performance. Yes, I realize that the rod wt. doesn't always match what it says but I'd say that the quality maufacturers have a pretty good idea of the correct line wt. shortly after rolling their proto-type blanks. Technology being what it is, selecting the correct line in the correct weight would be more prudent that overlining a rod merely so it feels better in your hand. The action of the rod should fit your casting style as opposed to under or overlining the rod to get the feel you want. Be more careful when you select the rod and try several lines on it before laying down the cash.
  13. Anil Active Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +205 / 6
    Line recommendations on fly rods have always been just that, recommendations. You are starting to see a better rating system on some modern Spey rods where they have a ‘window’ of (for example) 450-525 grains for a given rod. Based on the preference of the caster and the type of line they will be throwing.
    I was working at an ‘industry’ event a few years ago, speaking to Steve Rajeff (rod designer for G-Loomis) and no, he wasn’t asking me for casting advice. He was asking me which rods I preferred and why. I told him that I really liked their Crosscurrent 9’ 7 weight saltwater rod. A bit sheepishly I confessed that I preferred it with an 8 weight line. The reason I felt a little badly is that Steve Rajeff is widely considered to be, one of the best casters in the world and it felt like I was explaining to Lance Armstrong why I liked his new bike only I preferred it with training wheels.
    After listening to me, he explained that he often overlined the Crosscurrent rods as well.
    For me, I rate a fly rod based on the line I like to cast on it. If I am looking for an 8 weight bonefish rod, I am looking for a rod that throws an 8 weight line. That means I am also looking at stiffer 7 weights in order to find the rod that casts and 8 weight line the best.
    Finally, my ideal beach rod would weigh about 2 ounces and repel the wind.
  14. Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +41 / 1
    My favorite, and only, beach rod is a 9' 5 wt Sage SP+. One of these days I'll get a 6 wt for the beach but there's no rush. I'd guess the SP+ is closer to a 6 wt anyways.

M