desert creeks

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by joey82787, Apr 15, 2002.

1. joey82787 New Member

covington, wa, usa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    my dad is taking me fishing and we may go to a desert creek since the yakima is no good this week. Does anyone know a good desert creek closer to the cascades that will not have been flooded byt this weeks rain
  2. steve s Member

Issaquah, Washington
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    if you want to stray away from high runoff because of rain, you're gonna have to find a spring creek, and the most well known one is rocky ford. there are a few more, but unfortunately i cannot disclose that information. what i can say is to check some past threads on this site and get yourself a good map.
    rocky ford is a great place to try and catch some monster trout, although it can be a bit frustrating for a novice fly fisher, actually you can be an experienced fly fisher and still get skunked, but at least you know that the fish are there. if you haven't been there i would suggest you give it a try. if you are looking for something a bit closer to the cascades, i would suggest a lake, there are a few of them that are open right now. just make sure that you check the regs.
    good luck and tight lines.
    steve s
  3. guest Guest

I don't think anything is open but RFC and the Yakima. I would check the regs just to make sure. A lot of streams on the east slope are close for good.
    One place that you can try is the canals over around Cle Elem. I don't know anything about them but I've seen people fishing them.
    Jim
  4. gonefishing4ever New Member

There are plenty of spring creeks open according to the regs, I am on the other side of the hump and dont have time to drive all the way across in a day, Lincoln county in particular has a few streams open, I think crab creek is open if you can find access. Just check your regs and pay close attention to the seasons listed, some run through april 30, and some are only closed to harvesting fish and are open much longer for catch and release. I listed over 20 that are open now.

good luck
  5. joey82787 New Member

covington, wa, usa.
    what are the main things to look for to see if the yakima is ok or bad?
  6. joey82787 New Member

covington, wa, usa.
    is there a website that will show the regs
  7. guest Guest

I didn't know that so thanks for the info. I usually don't go that far to fish streams. I try to stay closer to Cle Elem. There are a few streams over there that I hit in the summer.

Just for the heck of it. How does Rock creek fish.

Jim :COOK
  8. joey82787 New Member

covington, wa, usa.
    please!
    does anyone know any good creeks or anything from the west side of the cascades to not very far over that will be good this week?
  9. guest Guest

As I said before. Only the Yakima and RFC. You could try the upper Yakima around Easton,that area is good. You can gain access to the river at the ponds at Easton. As for the Regs you can get them at any sporting goods outlet. Go where you got your license. Or try www.wa.gov/wdfw/

Jim
  10. Piscator New Member

Ellensburg, WA, USA.
    Rock Creek? Never heard of it.
    Fish on!
    Len
  11. joey82787 New Member

covington, wa, usa.
    thanks is any river close to the casxades ok right now. i have to find somewhere to go.
  12. steve s Member

Issaquah, Washington
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    i don't think that you will have much luck looking for rivers and streams close to the cascades. one, the majority of them aren't even open yet, and two, during the spring they are all fed by snow runoff, durning the summer and fall they are fed by high lakes, but with all of the snow this year and with the recent rain, you may be out of luck. unless of course the temperatures have gotten extremely cold and the snow stopped melting for a bit. my advice would be to find a lake, or travel further east.
    good luck
    steve s