desert eagle

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Jason Decker, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Jason Decker Active Member

Issaquah, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    i've been looking at a few large caliber revolvers
    and yesterday the sales guy showed me a used
    Desert Eagle 44 Magnum
    wow..............it's like dirty harry but gansta style

do any of you have one or have shot one?
    what do you think?

I went in looking at the Taurus 44 titanium, the S&W's 454/460/500
    and the Ruger Redhawks......
  2. Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Doo-vall
    Ratings: +422 / 0
    Jason,

Suburban white guys shouldn't go gansta.:D Stick with a wheel gun.

Never shot a Desert Eagle. The only 44 mag I ever shot was the
    Detective Harry Callaghan model 29 S&W. We went firewood cutting
    with that thing. After a half dozen rounds my nerves were shot (no pun intended).
  3. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +318 / 0
    I have shot the .50 Desert Eagle. I don't like how fat the sites are.

The only l a r g e handgun I have is a .45 Webley revolver. I dont consider a .45 ACP a large handgun anymore.
  4. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +56 / 0
    That weapon can be brutal. The Israelis swear by them, as in doesn’t jam up with sand like other weapons will. Not a convenient weapon like a PPK, but it will stop an engine block. Always wanted one, all chrome. Just the sight of rounds discharging out the barrel is enough to cause seizures in combatants. Gotta play with one about 20 years ago at one of the NCO Gun Clubs back in Germany. Just a bad ass looking gun.
  5. Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Lakewood,Wa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I used to have one about 16yrs ago, .50 cal version. I have small hands but was able to handle it. They didn't really do much change to it since they were first introduced. The 44 mag , I imagine would be even a better shooter.
  6. Flyn'dutchman Member

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    The triggers on them are horrible unless the latest ones have an upgrade. Makes them tough to shoot accurately. Stick with a Super Blackhawk if you are stuck on a .44. Buy the 10 1/2 inch stainless. You can stoke it up with some stout loads and still handle it. Redhawks also have difficult triggers to work on and the S&W's unless they quit pinning the forcing cones can't handle many hot loads. I used to shoot the handgun sillouet (mis-spelled I know) game and the super Blackhawks were the revolver of choice unless you could afford a Freedom Arms Casal (also mis-spelled).
  7. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    44 mag is a cannon.
    I had a Black Hawk and it was dead on, but hurt my hand to shoot.
    I would make light loads for small game, grouse and bunnies. More gentle on the hand and meat.
  8. YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Las Vegas
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Let me guess.... They don't buy the house, your going to pull it out and pop a cap in thier ass????
  9. buckwheat1 New Member

dutch harbor, ak
    my experience with the desert eagles is that they are not very reliable. i would not suggest useing one as side arm for personal defense. i own one and shoot it for fun. very fun to shoot.
  10. qrider13 Member

pasco, wa
    I can't believe that you guys think the 44 mag kicks! Try using some after market grips, lighter loads until you get used to the gun. Now the 454 Casull kicks.

I find the Desert Eagle to be big, ugly and klunky. I prefer single actions, especially old model Rugers. My two favorites are a Flat Top with a 6.5 inch barrel and a super redhawk with a 7.5 inch barrel. Both guns are very accurate and make routine hits at our clubs 225 yard deer. I shoot mild 270 grain hard cast in the Flat Top and 325 grain hard cast in the super.
  11. jcalderon Member

A JUNGLE NEAR YOU
    THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! and not usually considered. The .44 mag IN THE DESERT EAGLE is very unreliable. I owned one briefly and had nothing but trouble getting the cartridges to feed. The problem is that the .44 mag was designed as a revolver round. It has the "lip" on the bottom of the case that keeps the round from falling through the cylindar or a revolver, When this is fed into a semi auto, the lip often catches and keeps the round from ejecting correctly. Go for the .50..... It was designed for an auto
  12. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +597 / 0
    Brad Loomis let me shoot his deagle several years ago. I had never shot a handgun before. It put me into an instant state of shock. Talk about a brutal handgun!
  13. Smooth Guest

I have the Taurus M444 Titanium and Stainless...Love it. The grip is the key. It reduces recoil nicely.
    It only weighs 29 ounces and when loaded it is still about as much as a quart of water and a bottle. Pretty reasonable for backpacking and such.
    Dependability has been good. Accuracy depends upon the shooter. I do OK with mine...Good luck!
  14. Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

Jason.
    Have you checked to see if Wades rents the Desert Eagle?

Bill.
  15. 05tacoma Member

Auburn, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Have you seen the Performance Center Smith & Wesson Thunder Ranch? Now, that is one SWEEEET revolver.