Desert fire chironomid

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Rxfisher, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Rxfisher New Member

Sedro-Woolley, Washington, US.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Any one ever hear of, or care to share a pic or tying instructions for a pattern called the desert fire chironomid, Thanks
  2. willflyfish4food New Member

Where did you hear about that fly? Very few people have ever even heard of it. I took the desert fire to forrest Lake BC last summer and while the lake is known to be fickle we caught several fish in the 10# range with that fly, it was an incredible producer. Let me know if you find any pics. When it comes to chironomids I think its kind of a northwest secret.:thumb
  3. Rxfisher New Member

Sedro-Woolley, Washington, US.
    Heard of it several years ago while fishing central WA. Can't exactly remember where/when . So does this mean you won't be sharing????
  4. willflyfish4food New Member

I like to share, but this one is a secret. Not to be snooty but I actually designed this pattern myself in 97' and have shared it with only a small group of fly fishing fanatics. I was quite surprised that anyone has even heard of it outside that group of friends. I guess the group is getting bigger. :hmmm
  5. fishingseaducer Guest

There is a chironomid pattern in the Umpqua Enflyclopedia page 30 called the Desert Storm.Pink with a black bead head ,sz. 18-24.
  6. Whitey Active Member

Far side of the moon
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    willflyfish4food, That must feel good. To see your pattern get some press. Ahhh, the power of WFF.com. I wouldn't tell anyone either, but you'd better have a chat with your inner circle for letting that one slip out.;) YT:smokin