Desert lakes chain

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by kamishak steve, Mar 24, 2014.

1. kamishak steve

kamishak steve Active Member

I have heard that these lakes were rehabbed and I have heard that they weren't, but I know that they have been receiving fry plants for the past 3 years so I am wondering if anyone has been to fish them recently (or in the last season or two.) any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will likely be heading out this weekend regardless (unless someone tells me they are all rotenoned as of last week or something) , so I will have a report then.

2. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Not sure which specific lakes you are referring to so, I have no comment.

3. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

WDFW Ephrata office will have the info you seek.

4. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

These are not the lakes you're looking for.

(But just in case PM Zen Leecher about them or go to Mar Don resort and ask)

little rod and Bonefish Jack like this.
  5. Bonefish Jack

Bonefish Jack Strictly FF

In Oregon, the lakes are.

6. kamishak steve

kamishak steve Active Member

Harris, sedge, tern, dune, desert, etc, called the Desert Lakes Chain by WDFW.

7. Porter

Porter Active Member

8. Coomba

Coomba New Member

I hiked into these lakes last fall without any flotation. About a mile and half hike, some of which is through soft sand. They are mostly surrounded by cattails so I was only able to fish a few openings. No fish, did not see any activity, but really didn't give it a good effort. Plan on going back this spring with my tube, depending on what you find out...

9. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

I did the same thing Coomba did. A float
    tube is a must and so is a map and compass or GPS. It's tough figuring out which lake is which.

10. fastnjerky

fastnjerky New Member

Steve,
    Two friends and I hiked into the series last year in mid March with our float tubes. I used to fish them as a teenager in the '70's and had good catches and a lot of fun. Last year we tried Harris, Sedge and Tern. Sedge seemed to be the best and my log says I caught a few rosey colored fat 12-13" rainbows there, one strike in Harris and zip in Tern. Also saw a dead 1" bass at the shoreline in Tern.
    It's my understanding that the series sometimes floods from the wasteway and it looks like a lot of diversion has been attempted by the WDF&G.
    It's a pretty good hike and I was hoping I'd find some gem like it used to be thirty to forty years ago but for the reward I'll move the lakes (way) down my list.

11. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Haven't been in there since the 1970s but recall some good advice about hiking through the sand. If you hike really hard it will only take about 45 minutes to get there. If you just hike at a comfortable pace it will take a good 45 minutes to get there.

Sg

triploidjunkie and troutpocket like this.
  12. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Just a reminder for the April 1st oepner, get that new license!

MB

triploidjunkie and Patrick Gould like this.
  13. ryfly

ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

Don't forget to check for Ticks after hiking through this area as it is extremely Ticky.

14. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I can vouch that the ticks are out now.

15. Porter

Porter Active Member

:(