Diamondback Cane 7" #4

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by aubi1978, May 24, 2012.

1. aubi1978 New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hello,

Could anyone tell me a little bit more about this rod? I'm woundering to buy this from a friend, but I would like to know a little bit more about the history first.

I've read that Diamondback did use a Chines components/blanks when they got this produced. Is this correct?

Is 500Usd a ok price? The rod is in mint condition, two tips and a original alu tube.

Thanks for all help!

All the best from Norway!
  2. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +766 / 2
    $500 is about what they cost new. They've gotten mostly negative reviews from regular cane rod users for lack of durability of the blanks themselves and the construction (stuff falling apart). If it were me, I'd consider one at maybe $200.
  3. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +346 / 0
    aubi;
    Lugan is right. I won't bore you with details regarding a rod I once bought that came from the same general geographic region as the one being discussed, but it didn't turn out well at all for me.
    Knowing what I know now, I'd suggest looking into a nice older American made bamboo rod. Surprisingly, very good quality bamboo rods can be had for $500 or less. Orvis made so many bamboo rods over the years that their values are kept low on the secondary market. Also, some very nice casting Grangers, higher end Heddons, sometimes Phillpsons and some others are very good values and fish really well. Current quality makers used rods such as AJ Thramer, Lew Parks and others are found in that price range as well on the secondary market.
    By the way, I'll be in Norway in August (Lofoten Islands and Dona Island) searching for any of my remaining ancestors and enjoying the lefsa and ludefisk!
    Would you know of any brown trout or grayling fishing in those regions?
    Good luck in your search, and enjoy the learning process along the way.
    Lugan likes this.
  4. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +766 / 2
  5. Eric Tarcha gear whore

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Great links Tom!
  6. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +886 / 0
    Holy Moly! Thanks for those links; one of these days I'm going to be forced to acquire a classic!
  7. tabornatives Member

WRJ, Vermont
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Tom and Greg have given you excellent replies. The Diamondback is simply not worth that much. With the exception of the Diamondglass series, everything Cortland did with its acquisition of Diamondback has been a disappointment.

Concerning bamboo, now is a great time to buy. Prices have plummeted on very nice rods from outstanding Modern makers. For $500 or a little more you can find a great rod with a little patience.

Rich