NFR Diesel Emission "Snap" Test

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by freestoneangler, Apr 12, 2013.

1. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Just completed my second state emission test on my CTD...don't like the test. After having just purchased this truck in 2008, my first diesel, I got my registration renewal notice which included an emission test. When the technician explained the "snap test", which requires revving the engine way the hell higher than I ever do, I asked if that was the only option...yup, that's how it's done he replied. After completing that test, I did some follow-up research and find that the test was developed by SAE. I contacted one of the referenced principals noted and explained my concern. He stated that it is not damaging to the engine or turbo (easy for someone to make that statement if they have no skin in the game). For those non-diesel owners, it requires taking the rpm to 2000 then stomping the accelerator to the floor...at which point the rpm goes well over 5500 (high for diesels) where it holds momentarily then drops back to idle. The test requires this be done 6x total... more if you fail to execute the "snap" correctly.

I have subsequently asked about this at several local Dodge dealers while getting service and they too believe the test is hard on the engine. I also see considerable discussion about this on other forums and most owners are concerned about adverse effects. If they ultimately find performing this test is damaging, I wonder, do you suppose WADOT will team up with SAE and cover the repairs.

What do other forum members think of the test?

2. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

I wouldn't want to rev my diesel like that ether. But on the other hand when I have to bog the big boy, she goes like a mother fucker. Freaking tank in the woods.

3. FlyinFish

FlyinFish Active Member

I went to renew my little diesel (Golf TDI) and they said they no longer test diesel personal vehicles. The renewal notice said I needed an emissions test, but that was just because it wasn't listed as a diesel. Went to the licensing office, changed it to a diesel in the records and renewed without a test. I was told you don't have to test diesels anymore.

Here's some info online: http://www.emissiontestwa.com/e/

Is your truck older than 2007 or more than 6,000 lbs?

4. GAT

GAT Active Member

I checked with our Dodge Diesel guys... there are a number of diagnostic tests they perform that require full throttle as per the Chrysler work shop manuals. They have told me, if anything, it doesn't harm the engine but helps burn up some of the crap that collects from idling around town.

Of course, as with anything that has to do with engines of any kind, you can over do it, but 5500 RPM for a short period of time to perform tests will not hurt the engine.

Our Chrysler diesel techs are master certified so they know what they are talking about.

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Whats an emissions test.

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

I drive a diesel professionally, and under conditions most diesel owners do rarely (yet I'm doing it daily). I have to red line the RPMs on a regular basis due to my route. Never had a problem related to that in my career. Add that I'm doing that under very heavy payload too.

7. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Thats test they do to see what makes you fart!!!

8. matalpa

matalpa Member

There is NO WAY many of the diesels I am seeing around Spokane could pass an emissions test. Between the older ones that were always really stinky and the newer ones that are chipped, I use the recirculate button an awful lot as I drive through black clouds of exhaust.

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

They don't have these things in a third world country(Montana). And I'm liking that. I used to sweat them things when in Washington. I drove an older truck then. But I seemed to pass them. Some just barely.

Just another way to take your money away from you.

10. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

I agree Jim. The wife and I are really looking forward to leaving the "land of oz" and living retirement in Montana. $20 annual fishing license, no parking passes and diesel friendly.

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

When you reach the age of 62 you don't need a license anymore. What you end up with is something called a "conservation license". Cost 8 bucks. You also get an Upland Bird season with it. In case you like to hunt Birds. I don't hunt anything.

But you have to have lived here for over 180 days to qualify. My first license cost me 70 bucks.

12. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

I come from a boating background, but I agree with GATs diesel mechanics. I have many marine diesel mechanics tell me that these engines are designed to run at high RPMs.

13. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Well, mine sure does, and I'm having to stomp on it all day long depending on where I'm delivering at. Have quite a few driveways that I'm climbing hills (with severe grades) with a loaded package car. You can hear her winding up and really getting after it. Add to it when I have my trailer on full as well. But it's usually always short term high RPMs. Never for long periods.