Difference between the different Skagit heads

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by rustybee, Oct 22, 2013.

1. rustybee

rustybee Active Member

Anyone have any first hand experiences between the Rio Skagit Short vs Flight vs I-Flight shooting heads? In practical terms, what would be the subtle differences in feel while throwing the same weight lines between the three? Thanks in advance!

2. Greg Holt

Greg Holt Active Member

Kinda like comparing an apple, an orange, and a banana.

Here's what I mean:
    The Skagit short is just that--a very short Skagit head designed for use with little backcast room in mind, and usually used on shorter rods. It would feel the most abrupt of the three, because it has the greatest number of grains per foot.

The Skagit flight at an average of 26 feet is 40% longer than the Skagit short, so the timing window is longer than with the short, but the line suits somewhat longer rods, and requires somewhat more backcasting room. It will feel the smoothest of the three, and likely feel the "lightest" on the rod chosen.

The I-flight is an intermediate sinking head (I don't recall the exact length, but it's probably in the low 20's) purpose designed to dig in and track water flow better than a floating head, so it would imply using downcurrent presentations at depth. It would feel heavier than the flight (due to density and smaller diameter), but not clunky.

I'd be more inclined to focus on the different advantages/disadvantages related to intended use, and learn to appreciate and live with the differences in feel amongst the three lines.

Hope that helps a bit.

David Dalan and rustybee like this.
  3. rustybee

rustybee Active Member

Thanks Greg!