Digital Camera Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by boxcar, Feb 20, 2004.

1. boxcar

boxcar Scott Willison

I've been giving some thought to purchasing a digital camera. I've lugged around a heavy Canon SLR in a small dry bag for years on the river, but I'm looking to go with something lighter, smaller, and digital. I've been looking at the Canon ELPH/Powershot series and like the S400, but I thought I'd put it to the pros for some advice.

What are you using for your streamside digital photos? How do you water/weatherproof your camera or keep it safe from the elements? Has anyone tried Canon's waterproof casings or another alternative.

Scott:dunno

2. flasher

flasher New Member

I bought the 3mp olympus that is water resistant. Figure in our rain it couldn't hurt. Takes great photos:thumb

3. bugnuts

bugnuts Member

Pentax Optio 33WR (33 stands for 3.3 megapixels and WR stands for water resistant). It took this picture yesterday. :)

4. Tom Merrill

Tom Merrill Member

My wife and I looked at the Canon s400 ELPH. I thought it would be ideal to pop in the vest for fish pics, but when we handled it, it seemed just too small. It felt awkward to hold...but it WAS small!

We ended up getting a Canon A80. It takes great pictures and has enough features to be very versatile for home use as well. I just throw it in the waterproof carrying case I got for it and it has held up fine. Now I just need to catch some fish to get pictures of!;)

Tom

5. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

i have been thinking about posting this topic,thanx. am in the $250-350 range with 3-4 pix and a 4-10 telephoto lens. the water does not matter. there are a lot of choices out there and i know nothing. if possible mention the price range of the cameras discussed to give an idea of value ,quality ,etc.

6. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

Good grief man, that is a pretty picture of a pretty fish. Uhh....don't you think you have it way too far out of the water???

Just kidding.

Great topic, I am in the market, soon as I put in a new kitchen fan I will be allowed to buy a camera.

Best Buy has a good price on a Fuji 3.2 at 180 bucks and it comes with a 64MB card. I like the price and I have heard Fuji does it right.

Anyone know for sure on Fuji?

Mark

7. ZugBug

ZugBug Member

Media:
    I had a water bottle in my pack spill on (and ruin) an expensive digital camera last year while elk hunting. Grrrr. I wanted one that would take the elements without another mishap.

I went with a Sony DSC-U60. It's waterproof to 5 ft. Very, very small so I am never leaving it behind due to bulk or weight. Not much bigger than the small GPS's. Fits great in your hand and very easy to use. Picked it up new in the box on eBay for $195. At 2 mega pixels it takes really good pics as long as you don't go over a 5x7 enlargement.

I still use my Canon G5 for most family/vacation/etc shots, but that little Sony works great for what I use it for. And no fear of the rain or dropping it in the drink (or spilled water bottles).

Check out this link for some excellent reviews on most any camera you could want.
    http://server1.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM

ZB

8. Mike

Mike Active Member

Media:
    I have a real nice Fuji Digital SLR for sale. The camera takes high quality digital photos and is as new. I only used it once. It comes with a second battery and adapter. It is great for taking action shots at the spur of the moment.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I need to sell it to cover some incidental costs I incurred because of an extended stay in the hospital.

To get some money quickly I am willing to sell the camera at a deep discount However, if you buy it, you will need to cover the camera's shipping cost from Pamplona.

Mike

9. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    I can tell by the eyes that the bull is dead. His tail is not clipped. You should never have lifted it out of the corral for that photo. Thank god we have regs against that stuff now.

--------
    Be the ball Danny
    http://www.carlspackler.com/sounds/012.wav

10. Dblhaul

Dblhaul Member

Media:
    Pentax Optio 33WR, has worked great for me.

11. East Fork

East Fork Active Member

Media:
    I don't know what I would like to have more, the camera or the fish!

12. mike58

mike58 New Member

on the pentax site, there is a $50 rebate for the 33WR, if that helps...pentax.com

13. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    >What are you using for your streamside digital photos?
    > How do you water/weatherproof your camera or keep it
    >safe from the elements? Has anyone tried Canon's
    >waterproof casings or another alternative.

Until recently I would have suggested Canon's S30, S40, S45 or S50 series. I have a 2YO S30 and the images it produces are teriffic - tack-sharp focus, good contrast, saturated color with minimal digital noise or other abberations. Canon makes a $160 underwater housing for the S series that's good for 10 or 20 fathoms as I recall.

But since digicam technology is changing almost monthly, last year's great camera is probably not even made anymore.

I just read an interesting review by the Wall Street Journal's technology editor Walt Mossberg which compared a number of new pocket-sized digicams in the 3-5mb size range. His choice: the new $299 Konica Minolta Dimage Xg was the best overall. Here's a link to the comparo with three other small digicams: http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB107706028702331957-email,00.html

Another great site with reviews and specs of all models is http://www.steves-digicams.com Click on the Reviews button in the upper left and select the camer types your interested in by megapixel size.

Several final thoughts on digicams:

Base you choice on image quality, not on megapixels. A poor quality image taken with a high-megapixel camera is still a bad image, no matter how big it is. Compare the sample images on the site above taken with each camera. They'll tell you much more about the quality of the images each camera takes than a sticker with a big megapixel number.

Unless you have a *real* waterproof housing for your camera or it is specifically designed for underwater use (sorry, but 'water-resistant' just doesn't cut it) think several times before you start hauling it on fishing trips. One dunk in the water and it's toast. Like cell phones, it'll cost less to replace it with a new one than to repair it.

Ignore the term 'Digital Zoom'. The faux magnification effects it produces only reduces image quality. Pick a camera with an optical zoom ratio of 3:1 or higher. If your camera comes with a digital zoom feature, turn it off and forget it's even there.

Most digicams still come with rediculously small capacity memory cards, or digital film, especially those at the lowest price range. Tiny 8mb or 16mb cards will hold about that many images at full resolution, especially if you bought a high megapixel size model. Plan on spending another $50 to $75 at Costco to get a 512mb size card for you new camera. That way, you won't run out space when that photo opportunity of a lifetime comes along.

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Went to the Fly fishing show this morning and tried to sit thru a thing on fly fishing Montana. It seems that when ever anybody catches a fish around here and takes a picture of it everybody complains about the way it is held and how far out of the water it is held. Well on/in the show all of the fish were held to about shoulder height when most were sitting in a boat. So if your against holding a fish out of water I would suggest that you don't see this show. Or invest in blinders.

Jim

15. boxcar

boxcar Scott Willison

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the detailed suggestions. It's helpful to hear of others' personal experiences in making a decision. I'll have a few more things to consider now.

Scott

16. b-rad

b-rad New Member

I would like to through my 2 cents in for the Canon s230 (3.2 mp. ) with the waterproof case. The case is waterproof down to 10 meters. I first saw it in action about two years ago while in Australia with a set up of the s100 and the case. I also do a lot of kayaking and really liked the idea. That year I bought the S230 for about 375 and the case for 200. THe camera can now be found for around 275 and the case is about the same. I really like it because the case allows you to still access all of the controls of the camera and has been very durable. I tend to hang it from my net clip on my neck strap ( do not carry a net anymore) and it is always at hand. Have got some great underwater shots of fish so as not to take them out of the water when releasing them. Also great to have in the boat or on the deck of the kayak. No need to put it in another bag or worry about it. Only down fall I can see is that the camera will not float with the waterproof case.
    I have had the set up now about a year and a hlf. It has seen many river trips and a recent trip to Mexico. I have been very pleased with it. Just my two cents.