Digital cameras again...

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by IveofIone, Aug 5, 2007.

1. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +884 / 0
    What would you recommend in a non-waterproof camera in the $150 range? I am looking for something simple just to send a few pictures to relatives and friends and don't need a lot of pixels or complexity. Most of the reviews I read are obsessed with the latest and greatest and treat last years cameras like they are just a POS. Last year's cameras would probably be far more than adequate for me.

I realize this is a really general question but there has to be something modest out there that just works as advertised and will meet my entry level needs. Any ideas? And please, don't suggest anything over $200. That is my drop dead maximum,everything included. Ive
  2. SteelieD Non Member

In a van down by the river
    Ratings: +0 / 0
  3. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,401 / 0
    There's lots of digital cameras out there in the $100.00 range. You just have to do a little looking. There are some by Samsung and Olympus, that don't go over $150.00. I got a Samsung for my granddaughter that Costs only $129.00 and it does everything except give you change back. 7 megapixels. Just look these up on the internet.

And I got it at Walmart.

Jim
  4. mozart Chris

Ferndale, WA
  5. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +38 / 0

Not the answer you really want, but . . .

I have a two month old Olympus Stylus 725 SW; it's a very cool, sturdy and compact camera. It's waterproof to 16 feet and shockproof to 5 feet (it's been dropped several times already, with no apparent issues). Ive, I know a guy who just fell in the Yakima and had on one of those waterprooof Simms fanny packs; the fanny pack wasn't so waterproof, and his digital camera and cell phone are now dead. Talk to many fisherperson who use digital cameras, and you'll hear many stories about the digital camera croaking when being immersed in water. It only takes one incidence like this before the 725SW has paid for itself . . .

Just a little something to consider.
  6. Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Bremerton, Wa
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    I second the Canons. They are #1 for a reason. iagree
  7. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +431 / 2
    The truth is, cameras from Canon, Nikon, Sony, or Olympus (any of the big names really) will do fine. When looking at point & shoot cameras, you are really comparing price more than anything. A $150 camera from Sony will be just as good as a $150 camera from Nikon. Same for two $300 cameras. Stay away from weird off-brands, stick with the guys who have the R&D budgets to make a good camera.

That having been said, I have had 4-5 Canon point & shoot cameras and loved them. I get to play with a lot of gear at my www.photo.net job, and the Canons have always done me well. I did recently get a pentax optio W30 to use as my fishing point and shoot. But if it weren't for that, I would have just kept getting Canons.
  8. jessejames Flyslinger

Show Low, Arizona
    Ratings: +311 / 3
    I am a buyer that needs to handle the product and see if it works for me. I agree with the poster who says thaqtany of the big players will have the same quality camera at similar price points. I bought the Nikon 4800 because of the shape and the inexpensive media cards they had. Some of the real small and thin cameras made it hard for me to hold it steady and hit the shutter button. I know you will be happier with a that fits for you and Suzie.
    Check them all out on your next trip at Mall-Wort in Colville.
    I like the Nikon, I am working on my third but Nancy wont let me take it fishing.:confused: :confused:
    Blessings
    jesse
  9. IveofIone Active Member

Lots of good input here. I've been on the net for hours now reading reviews and running down suggestions from you guys. So far the camera that appeals to me the most is the Canon Powershot A560. Two things get my attention-the 2.5'' screen and the fact that it has a separate viewfinder. Most of these small cameras have no aux viewfinder and almost every review says that the screen is difficult to impossible to see in sunlight. It is a little larger than most as well and would be easier to hold onto than those tiny pocket cameras.

I can buy it for $166 with a 2 gig memory card, a price that is in my range. Any opinions on this specific camera or the less expensive A550? The 550 can be had for around $125 but I kinda shy away from the 2'' screen. Ive
  10. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    One suggestion, watch out where you are buying from. If the prices are any more than a few $'s less than amazon or bhphotovideo, then it is a scam.

Check resellerratings.com or this page on photo.net:

http://photo.net/neighbor/subcategory-index?id=2
  11. Capt. Awesome Member

Bend, OR
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I use the A550 predominantly now. I've used the Kodax C380, Canon A250, Canon G4 and Nikon CP (not sure what model, but it was 5.1 mp).

The 550 is a good value and there's a nice improvement going from the 550 to 560. The viewfinder is not THAT hard to see outdoors- I mean if the sun is bearing down right on top of you, sure but c'mon- what do you expect?

Pros:

- Decent to good battery life for a value P&S camera

- Very respectable burst speed for a point and shoot- about 1.5 fps with a fast memory card.

- Decent on speed

- Good color accuracy- most Canons are pretty accurate.

- some good adjustable settings when in manual mode- automatic mode is pretty serviceable in most siutuations, though.

- decent Macro performance for a value camera.

Cons

- Very noisy ISO performance when you go above 250. This can make it difficult to take good photos in low-light conditions without playing with the settings.

- No face-detection technology- this is a really neat feature found in the Canon SDx series and higher.

- Color saturation can produce some weird side-effects when a scene is dominated by one color. No-biggie if you're comfortable with Photoshop.

- no ability to add-on aftermarket lenses. You have to go up to the A6xx series for that. Not a real big deal if you're using it mostly for fishing.
  12. IveofIone Active Member

Awesome: Face detection technology is one of the big improvements in the 560 over the 550. Thanks for the review, it means more when I hear it from someone who is actually using the camera I am interested in. Ive
  13. mozart Chris

Ferndale, WA
    Sorry, I disagree that it's a "Scam". There are a lot of deals that are out there and with the thinking that buying somewhere else that is cheaper is a scam is leaving the buyer out of tons to room to save money. You are right though, check resellerratings.com if you're buying from an online store you're not familiar with. My favs: Newegg, Buy.com, Amazon, Target, and Outpost.
  14. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Whatever. Don't listen to the guy who has spent more money as a professional photographer on photographic equipment than anyone else on this board. I only work for one of the largest photographic websites in the world. What the hell could I know?

For most people who don't want to jump through the hoops of price matching, coupons, and best value protection credit cards, what I said is virtually always true. If the price you are being shown is more than 10% less than B&H or Amazon, you are not likely to actually get that price when you try to order. Closeouts and sales can change this slightly, but you can hardly count on finding the camera model you want being on sale that day. Newegg, Buy.com, Amazon, Target, and Outpost's prices aren't going to be that far apart in general, I promise you that.

But hey, like I said. What do I know?
  15. mozart Chris

Ferndale, WA
    Calm down Josh, I meant no disrespect. Your statement implied that getting anything cheaper than the price at Amazon or B&H is a scam, which it isn't. Some people are willing to save a few dollars here and there and are willing to jump through the hoops.
  16. Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +73 / 0
    I am trying to find out why I do not go and buy a couple of these for fishing:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3334775

For under $50 I think I may go that route. Tired of dropping my camera and breaking it ...

not cerain if that link works all that well ... it points to a Polaroid 4.1 MP Digital Camera at Wally's Mart
  17. Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Bremerton, Wa
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    No zoom on that...
  18. mozart Chris

Ferndale, WA
    Has zoom but not optical. From my experience, digital zoom creates very grainy pictures as opposed to optical.
  19. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,401 / 0
    This is for those people that like to drop their digitals in the water. If you get them back out of the drink. Don't try to turn them on as you will short everything out. Just take out the battery and the card and let it dry out on it's own. After about three days of sitting in the sun you can put everything back in and away you go. I did this with my Olympus Stylus 500 and it was good to go after three days.

Still going strong three years later.

Jim
  20. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +275 / 1
    Josh mentioned that most cameras in a given price range are approximately equal (I'm paraphrasing here). I think that's largely true however, I've found that some cameras are more software friendly than others. Had a nice Olympus (that Shamu drenched with warm saltwater) that shot fine pictures but the menu was always a bit tough to navigate. Replaced it with a Nikon and was very pleased with the navigation. Not to say that one is inherently better than another, but that software can be a big factor to look at. "Is it intuitive?" is a good decision point. Some seem overly complicated and use almost alien language.