Digital Cameras

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by Skysoldier, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Lost in the woods.....
    Ratings: +183 / 0
    I am looking to pick up a small digital camera to carry while fishing, I have done some research but was wondering what you all use or would recommend.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  2. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    Canon SD10

(Did you REALLY jump out of perfectly good airplanes?)
  3. Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +128 / 0
    Pentax Optio Series has been great for me, in the waterproof edition
  4. Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Lost in the woods.....
    Cool! thanks for the input I will check out both. Karl there are no perfectly good aircraft...you see how often they fall out of the sky or how many people die when they do ;) but yes I have jumped out of one or two.

Thanks again for the advice.
  5. k2flyfisher its taco time. wheres the sauce?

Portland, OR
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    i agree with the pentax optios. picked up the older w80 for sale a couple months ago to replace my w20. great waterproof camera for carrying on your wading belt. also shoots video in HD.
  6. papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Camano Island, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +60 / 0
    For my b-day one of my sons sent me a Fujifilm Finepix XP10. It is 12MP/5x optical zoom/2.7" LCD. Water proof (10ft), Shock proof (to 3ft drop), Freeze proof (-14 F) dust proof, has digital image stabilization and takes HD movies. It's compact comes with a neo-case, neck carry strap and/or clip for attachment to a vest. You might find it a good choice. Sorry can't tell you how much $.
    I'll put up some pic's as soon as I take some with it. I hope to get more underwater shots.

LB

Found it at Costco for $160.00
  7. Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Lost in the woods.....
    Thanks all this gives me a few options to check out.
  8. wik Member

renton
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    DMC-TS2D Panasonic
    14.1 Megapixel
    •Advanced Tough Design (10m Water, Shockproof)
    Waterproof: 10M Shock Shockproof: 2M Freezeproof: -10 C
    •AVCHD Lite HD Movie Recording
    Record HD quality movies
    •Power OIS
    Enhanced technology to further prevent blurring caused by vibration
    •Orange
    got one great so far.
  9. Kelly Michelsen Active Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    olympus stylus 770 great, shock proof 5',waterproof to a depth of 30', and freeze proof to temp of 14, great pics!
    Flyfisher121
  10. Mike McAvoy olddog22202

Cathlamet, WA and Sunny AZ
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    What WIK said. Besides being waterproof and fairly shock proof the Panny TS2 is almost idiot proof as shown by the fellow who uses mine ...... ME.
    MikeMc
  11. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Another vote for the Pentax Optio. I'm on my second one. Sold the first to JMills. My dad and two brothers also own them. They take pretty nice pics for a little point and shoot and the water proof is nice. I would definitely buy one of the waterproof cameras. Not only does it give you some peace of mind on the water, you can take some pretty cool underwater pics.
  12. Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Lost in the woods.....
    After reading reviews and checking out many cameras I opted for the Pentax. Thank you all very much for the input.
  13. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +830 / 0
    Olympus Tough 6000. Waterproof to 30 feet, shockproof to 15, video, XD card, great underwater.
  14. Kenneth Yong Member

Rome, Italy
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    Good choice, which model? I use the W60, and especially like the 1cm super-macro zoom function. I've also gone snorkeling with it many times in the salt and never had a problem.
  15. Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Lost in the woods.....
    Yeah one of the reason I went with the Pentax was for the macro zoom, I picked up the W90. Will post some pics if I even get it back from the wife ;)
  16. Alexander Fishon

WA
    Ratings: +263 / 0
    Pentax Optio WPi 6.0 megapixel.

I shot this at a river in CO, on the fly. Just used the close-up setting and snap.

[IMG]
  17. iceman2k New Member

Surrey, BC
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I just upgraded my fishing camera last week. I have had a Pentax W20 for 4+ years and it was decent. I decided to switch brands and picked up the Panasonic TS2 due to the lens quality and quickness of the camera! I tried and read about all the waterproof cameras, and so far I am happy with this decision, although haven't taken any pictures of fish yet, just scenery.

I also considered the Pentax W90, but I loved how quick this Panasonic is. Nothing worse than a camera deciding if it wants to take the picture for seconds while trying to release a fish. Once I get to play with more I'll post some pics.
  18. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    dont settle for anything without HD video abilty

im using an olympus 1050sw or something and while it is BOMBPROOF, the new models all do hd video. its time to upgrade