Dipping A Toe Into The World Of Fiberglass

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Craig Hardt, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Craig Hardt

Craig Hardt aka Nagasaurus

Media:
    After spending a lot of time on smaller waters the last two seasons I wanted to try out a 'glass rod. I had initially considered building up from a new blank but found this entry level priced rod that was a smaller investment.

This was not a factory build from what I can tell and the Fenwick FL 842 blank has a hand written inscription with the maker's name, receiver's name, and a date of July 1970. The hardware is not high end and as you can see thread color is an odd choice IMO but if gives it a bit of character knowing it is a custom build. At 7' this is a pretty short rod and seems to like a 5wt line.

One feature that I had not seen on a rod before was the ferrule which incorporates an o-ring (a few web searches and found this is a "aluminum sizematic ferrule").

I'll fish it this year and if I like how it fishes I may re-wrap the guides and perhaps put on a new grip and reel seat as a project for next winter (the current cork is in good shape but it feels much too narrow for my tastes). And brown wraps would look so much better on this blank IMO.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I guess now I'll have to find an appropriate blue-collar late 60's or early 70's reel to go with it...

2. rockthief

rockthief Fly fishing = food for my soul

Very good choice. Fenwick sold blanks and they were designated by the FL. I have two of them, and FL 90-5 and and FL 84-5. Both cast a 5wt line but I prefer the 84-5 with a 4 wt line. I agree about the reel. What color is your reel seat? You will adapt your casting style to the short rod just fine. Slow your stroke a bit, practice then hit the water.

3. rockthief

rockthief Fly fishing = food for my soul

btw your GRizzly Fenwick was sold by Shoff Sporting Goods in Kent. It is a very early Fenwick. It should throw a 4wt or a 5 wt. The blank sold for ten bucks new somewhere from 1955-66 when Fenwick and Grizzly merged. You have a special rod there.