Article Disturbing sea life news

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Porter, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Porter

Porter Active Member

2. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Sad thing is, this is old news.

I watched a documentary on this last year, and on PBS Newshour. It had the woman who was the first to "blow the whistle" on this issue, and how hard she had to get someones attention.

It's like most things, when they are practically gone, then folks take notice.

Porter likes this.
  3. Porter

Porter Active Member

I had heard of it too, but thought it was some local thing, but wow, the scope of it now is alarming. Thanks for the heads-up on the documentary. Going to try to find it and watch it...... and yeah Im guilty of being one of those to take late notice :{

4. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

I think we all are Porter. Problem is, we just don't know about it in time. The people who can do something, should look into it sooner, rather than "kick the can down the road", and make it someone else's problem. But hey, that's the "American way" right? :-(

5. Clarki

Clarki I'd rather be reading water

My source at DFW has fortunately figured this one out. They will begin farming juvenile sea stars and dumping them into our local bays to ensure populations remain strong. Of course they will remove one of the legs prior to release. What a relief.

6. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Over the last year, and especially the last six months, our east-end Olympic Peninsula starfish have been melting away with this at an astonishing rate. When I go out rowing at low tide I am used to seeing many hundreds of them in a day, all over the rocks and walls and pilings etc. Now they are almost completely gone. They still do not know the exact cause or causes, which may be linked to warmer waters, weakened immunity, microbes etc. One of the good resources for information on this is the Sea Doc Society www.seadocsociety.org
    (They are also doing some interesting population research studies on sea-run Coastal Cutthroat trout in the San Juan Islands region.)
    http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

Jamie Wilson likes this.
  7. Abomb

Abomb Active Member

I have been watching this, sad, real sad. Starfish are so cool.

8. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

sadly

9. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Now that you mentioned it, I've noticed fewer and fewer at the beaches. I thought perhaps it might be a seasonal thing as I tend to beach patrol only in Mar-Jun.

10. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

What's weird, is how they are dying. Each arm eventually wants to go its own way, and it literally tears itself apart!

11. Alosa

Alosa Active Member

Think about the long-term implications for the marine ecosystem and for us. Starfish eat urchins and keep their numbers in check. When urchin abundances go unchecked they eat the kelp 'holdfasts' (the 'anchors' that keep kelp attached to the bottom) and generate 'urchin barrens'. The kelp are important for production of oxygen in the water and primary production in the oceans. Start connecting the dots...the ripple effects of this could be catastrophic along our coast.

12. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Are sea urchin tasty? Could we start a fashion trend where young women wear the spines in their hair? I sense a money-making/sea-saving opportunity here.

13. Alosa

Alosa Active Member

They are a delicacy (in some countries). I think their gonads are consumed...I'll get you a bib.

14. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Some of you need to seek professional help... just saying. ;)

15. rustybee

rustybee Active Member

Mmmm.... Urchin is often served in the form of sushi and commonly known as Uni. One of the tastiest way I've been served uni is as a butter sauce in pasta (a well known NYC restaurant's specialty).

16. Porter

Porter Active Member

OK, Just returned from a trip to the Oregon Coast that was cut short. Our rental didn't pan out for 7 days...we got a hotel for 3 days instead. But to the point....Haystack Rock has only a 2-3 dozen of active starfish, other rocks very few. Witnessed many dying and decomposing starfish. Some attached and a leg or two folded over. Others dead in Sea with minus a leg or two. The new growth muscles shells exploding on the rocks. Hmmmm!!....consequences will amount (I believe). A species being wiped out quickly is shocking and bad to any ecosystem....I hope we take of this because next time might by be last time...? hint.

17. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

That's some weird, scary stuff.

18. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I'm loaded up and ready for when Godzilla emerges from Puget Sound to demolish urban Seattle, of course I'll wait to began my attack until he's north of Everett.

Sawyer likes this.
  19. Alosa

Alosa Active Member

If this trend continues, Godzilla's limbs will simply fall off and he won't pose a threat. That's dissapointing because I was looking for an epic battle with Mothra.:p