Disturbing versus tonight

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Daryle Holmstrom, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    Fly fishing America had a segment tonight. Good show, but not to good for the six year grandson watching some dude with tattoos and piercings all over. And in the hood hat, what's with that?

Daryle

2. tahuyamg

tahuyamg tahuyamg

Maybe it's just that you are getting old or you're making a stereotypical judgment on people w/ tattoo's and piercing. I myself have tattoo's. I have plenty of friends who have tatt's and piercings all are great people. You sure wouldn't want to run into us on the river. If you went by our appearances you'd automatically hate us. Too bad for you, you might find out we were great guys and a lot of fun to fish w/. I guess I should assume every guy out their wearing wranglers and a flannel on, big belly, beard, driving a Ford or Chevy is a redneck racist???? (hey I just described my friend mike, all but the redneck racist part).Diversity and being able to express ones self is a cool thing. I hope you teach your grandson, "not to judge a book by it's cover". I think we are finally getting to a period in time when we don't have to be so set on making judgments by a persons appearance- at least us younger people. By the way what should a fly fisher man/women look like anyway???

3. FFK

FFK Active Member

Media:
    I i think the one were the fished for sharks were most disturbing, they gaffed the hell out of those sharks

4. Daryle Holmstrom

Media:
    You're right, I',m getting too fucking old

5. Daryle Holmstrom

Media:
    My tatoo a big old steelie, any artists out there?

6. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    It has nothing to do with hating people with tatoos and piercings. People have the right to do those things and I have the right to say it's wierd or abnormal or stupid to do those things. It doesn't make those people bad. Smoking is stupid, as is overeating, but I don't hate smokers or overwieght people. And yes, that Chris Allen guy looked different with those tatoos, but it was fun to watch the spey casting. It seems so rhythmic and effortless.

Wayne

7. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    iagree

8. Chris Allen

Chris Allen Member

Media:
    Hey, why drag me into this?

9. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    Tats and rings are someones personal choice that shouldn't affect your perception of them as a human....

A guide once told me a story about looks/behavoir:

Met up in the morning with the guy, white dude, long dreadlocks, Marley T-shirt.

About halfway through the day, the guide mentions to the client that he doenst mind if he has a joint or two. Taken off guard, the client explains that he is a devout mormon, but simply feels his relegion should not restirct how he looks....

Anyways this is the same shit that rasicm comes from, try to get past outside appearance...

10. Brent Scott

Brent Scott New Member

Media:
    So does this mean thet if we ever met on a river that you wouldnt fish with me or near me???I have long hair to the mid of my back, and I have 29 tatoos on my arms and neck, I also have piercings and a ring in my nose, I have a 9" gotee that is braided with beads. I have a mohawk that is colored, what the hell makes me any different than you, I guess this would also mean that since Im from TEXAS that if you have a problem with me then its ok for me to think that I can swing you from a rope and a tree branch. Im not rying to start a problem or anything but you need to get your life in order and get your priorties straightend out, when did you become the one who decides who is right by the way they look??? What is youre job anyway???Are you one of the fashion police that runs around with the good wives club???Oh and by the way I also ride a horse wear real cowboy boots and wranglers and even carry a can of chew in my pocket.........

11. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    Come on boys. I have tatoos all over me, all over me. I am rough around the edges, chew copenhagen and get stereotyped from time to time. I could give a shit. Now, just as you Generation Xers and all the post Vietnam babies (I was born in 68) expect the oldtimers to accept us, how about cutting a little slack to the older folks and not jumping up this guy's ass for being honest. I bet if you wet a line with him, he'd see his ways as a bit rigid and unyielding and come to learn that tatoos, piercings and nose rings are are part of our generations just like stovepipe pants, crew cuts, leather jackets and roach killers, DAs, or if he's young enough, hair down to his ass was in his younger days. We're all just flyfisherman and we all love seeing that rise, feeling that pull and watching that indicator go down in the most beautiful places on earth. The old can teach the young, the young can teach the old, and sharing a fishing hole crosses all boundaries. :beer2:
    It always seems that the things we dislike the most in people have deep seeded roots somewhere in ourselves. I speak for myself here, its something I've come to grips with. Maybe after 38 years, I'm growing up. Coach

12. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    When I was growing up it was peace, love, rock n' roll, lsd, pot, long hair, etc. The older generation didn't much care for us. Now it is piercings, tats, beaded gotees, etc., and some in my generation seem to have an issue with it. Every generation has its dress code and it seems the previous generation has problems dealing with the new style. Life goes on. To today's generation; you also will have a younger generation to deal with someday.

freestoneangler likes this.
  13. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    Daryle if you are serious about getting a tattoo I would talk to Hubba at seattle tattoo emporium

14. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I personally don't care how folks look, whether they are out fishing or not. I really like the fact that more younger folks seem to be fishing now. It seemed like a few years ago I didn't see as many young folks fishing as I do today. I've met some great folks out on water. Do they look different then me, yes, but why should I or anyone else care? I say bring on the tats, earrings or whatever else expresses them as the individual they are.
    Brian

15. theworm

theworm Member

Media:
    My daughter lives with me full time (she is almost 17). She came back from her mom's house with her eye brow pierced about two years ago. I tripped out for a day or 2. Next thing I knew she had her nosed pierced. I only tripped out for an hour or 2 that time. The other day she said to me, "dad did you notice anything?". I said "no, why?". She said "I took eye brow ring and nose ring out". I never noticed they were gone. I asked her why? She said "she is over that stage of her life." After that, she said "Yep, I know the tattoo I want to get!" Atleast she warned me.

16. Bill Douglas

Bill Douglas blue collar dirtbag

Media:
    The big issue I have with the younger set out there is that a lot of them think it is acceptable to drop repeated "F" bomb regardless of who is around. You could be store with several women and children, and you'll hear two dudes talking. "F this" "F that" Completely oblivious that there are women and children present, and within earshot.

17. tahuyamg

tahuyamg tahuyamg

Daryle now your getting in the spirit! A tatt' of a steelhead would look cool. A great way to express your love and passion for the outdoors, fishing, and specifically for steelhead. If you go through w/ it make sure to get a real good artist. Don't let cost be a factor in your decision. Man a steelhead would look cool- lot of colors. You could do a whole mural on your back something like a cool cliff background, fly line going into the tail out, steelie gettin big air w, your fly hang out of the corner of his mouth ( I'd think you'd want it to be a big buck you're hooked into) OK, OK, maybe that's a little bit to much for ya. just a though though....

18. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Media:
    "Disturbing" is pretty strong language. Were you actually disturbed?

I don't have any tattoos or piercings because I'm not really into that. Even if I wanted to, I probably wouldn't, because I have no doubt that it would seriously effect how successful I was at my job. The sad thing about our society is that people judge others based on stupid, superficial things. Before they decide to get piercings or tattoos or whatever, people just need to face the truth that the vast majority of their clients/teachers/bosses/whoever are going to look at them differently. I am sure it will change someday.

19. Jon Borcherding

Jon Borcherding New Member

I grew up in the 60's and 70's. Drugs were quite common and the older generation was disgusted by young people "altering their conciousness" with drugs. They seemed to consider the use of drugs to be a form of self imposed mental retardation. Today I am joining the "older generation" and all around me I see young kids piercing themselves and "adorning" their bodies with tattoos. Drugs and tattoos and body piercing all have one thing in common. All of these activities alter the natural state of the human body and/or mind. All three activities are a form of self mutilation.

I find it fascinating that so many of the "body enhancements" currently in vogue share a "tribal motiff". I recall that often the use of drugs was defended by proponents of drug use who claimed that drugs were an integral part of a "tribal" or "communal" experience. (ie. peyote, mescaline, pscilocybin etc.)

It sometimes seems as if all forms of self mutilation are an outer expression of an inner disatisfaction with our current situation as a species.

Listening to a young person explain why they feel the need to pierce their tongue or scarify their face is very much like listening to a drooling hippy explain that he is expanding his conciousness by snorting PCP.

There are many different kinds of "body enhancement". Facial piercing, genital piercing, scarification, tattoos which range form numbers applied in concentration camps to artwork worthy of public display, to prison and gang markings. Drugs also run the gamut from coffee, tea, and beer to heroin and methamphetamine, LSD and pharmaceuticals.
    ALL of these things or actions alter the natural state of the human body or mind.

Each individual has the choice of whether or not they wish to alter their natural state.
    People will make judgements about you based on the manner in which you have altered yourself and the degree to which you have altered yourself.

I am certain that most of the people reading this post would look differently at a person who has written obscenities on their arm with a burning cigarette than they would a girl who has peirced her ears. Likewise, you would look differently at a guy having a beer in his backyard and a junkie shooting up on a parkbench.

The truth, as I see it, is that we all judge people by how they look especially if their looks are a result of their actions. If you go out of your way to make yourself different, don't be surprised if people look at you differently or treat you differently.
    Do whatever you want to your mind and body. They are, after all, yours. But take some responsibility.
    JonB

20. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    I think that comparing piercings and tattoos to drug use is slightly extreme. I get your point about self mutilation, but cant remember the last time someone died from a piercing overdose.