Disturbing versus tonight

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Daryle Holmstrom, Mar 23, 2007.

1. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

I got my pike done at their Ballard place. They're tied for, if not the best place I've been to. Extremely professional, and they all do great work in there.

2. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Being born in 1950 makes us part of the revolution. My old man had tats (went to war in 1942) and you couldn't find a better redneck, racist, sexist, pig anywhere, (and he was a cop too!). I never saw him pick up a fly rod, but the man could fish! Kick my ass on Friday nite, get me up a 0400 to make the PB&J's and set on shore or in the boat and talk about country western songs. What a great guy.
    GOD (Great Out Doors) bless America!!!!
    Alot of freaks fly fish, you gota love'em all. Nuf said!

3. seanengman

seanengman Trout have no politics

Media:
    There's freaks everywhere. Make nice with a stoner, you'll be surprised.

4. FFK

FFK Member

Media:
    i have no problem with people who stick out of the croud,im a rocker with shagy hair and tight pants, loud music and a guitar. but i still love going out in kaki shorts a flannel t a flyvest and a fly rod.. i dont see what difference it makes , just get to know some people and see.

5. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:

You must know that I was not using the world gay as in insult to homosexuals. I have no problem with gay people and don't want a group that to be brought down into the same circle as someone I choose to use that against, like yourself.

6. TomB

TomB Active Member

.....riiiiiiiight...so you reserve the word 'gay' for those in the lowest 'circle'........ but you aren't a homophobe....whatever you need to tell yourself to sleep at night.

7. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:
    What you have to understand, Tom, is that in the English language words can have several meanings. Deciphering those meanings comes from the context in which those words are used.
    gay:
    1) Happy; joyful; cheerful
    2) Homosexual - one who feels sexually or emotionally attracted to someone of the same sex
    3) Commonly used slang meaning stupid or lame or generally unfortunate.
    4) An acceptable girl's name into the 1960s.

Using the term 'gay' does not necessarily have to refer or allude to a person's sexual orientation. It is very prejudiced to think that way. Andy, is simply referring to people as being lame or un-original. Just like if someone is to use the term 'lame' it could mean:
    1. A person, thing, or group that is not cool, tending to be unoriginal. Often marked by the fact that it is out of touch with current trends, or overly trendy and unoriginal.
    2. One that cannot walk.
    3. A body part that will not move, such as a leg.
    4. A part of the body that is stiff or rigid, such as the back.
    5. A thin plate of metal, or woven metal, used in armor.
    So when someone says "To falsely accuse someone of being homophobic is lame" the term is obviously not being used to a plate of metal used in armor.

8. TomB

TomB Active Member

using a name associated with a minority group as an insult is inherently derogatory of and disrespectful to said group. if you would really like to defend what zen said, go ahead, however, his comments were not only inappropriate for gay-bashing but for comprising what was a unabashed attempt at an uprovoked personal attack; something I think this board can do better than.

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    If everybody looked alike we would not like looking at each other after a while. This is something to think about.

Jim

Thom Collins likes this.
  10. atomic dog

atomic dog Jive Turkey

Media:
    I'm still trying to figure out why the sight of people with tattoos and piercings is inappropriate for a 6 year old... :confused:

11. mrpunkin

mrpunkin Bryan Corey

If for some reason you did have a problem with tattoos or piercings, which is a different issue in itself and I would hope you don't judge someone based on that, then maybe you should look at this as a conversation topic for you and the grandchildren about what you find appropriate and why instead of just wishing they didn't see it. I'm with atomic dog though, why would seeing someone with tattoos (which I have seen the episode and the guy seemed plenty nice and cordial to me) be any kind inappropriate influence?

12. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

the smoking and scotch didn't bother you??

13. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    The amelioration of pejoratives is historically the best way to lessen the impact of bigoted terms.

14. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    Is that your best vocabulary shaded excuse for ignorance? So you are telling me that the best way of improving a derogratory term is to declare ownership of it, re-name it and throw it all over the place thus killing the impact of the original word? The question I have is who are the fallguys? Who are the people being bashed by the word for most of their life that have to hear it all over the place until society decides that it is okay. I have a really simple idea. How about words like fag, homo, N$%#@^&, queer and the rest of the lot are just not said, and when a youngster like Zen is stupid enough to throw that crap around, someone corrects him and it is over. The only reason is wasn't over is that Tom B and Zen joust constantly. Usually it makes for good reading, and we let them go at it. In this case Tom B is right as much as Zen doesn't want to admit it. It should have ended there. Defending Zen like some of you are trying so hard to do, actually is the same response mechanism that has kept the ball of ignorance rolling in so many ways since the beginning of man. Go ask a 50 year old black man if a white kid has a right to say the N word because the meaning is changing and white society ages 25 and under say it's okay now. For that matter go ask a 50 year old gay or lesbian if they don't mind hearing the word fag or "gay" in a negative light because Zen (or anyone else) have decided that is perfectly okay and now a part of the Walla Walla area's vocab. Lastly, a bunch of men and woman have tried to raise the word gay to a word of being about choices and pride, and now a bunch of teenagers in white ball caps are going to use it to call each other stupid or dumb? Now that will go over real well with the families of the people who have been beaten and killed for nothing more than sexual preference. How about that boy in Wyoming a few years back. They chained him to a fence and beat him to death for being a "homo". Nice try boys. You almost pulled this one off. Unfortunately, some of us who fequent this site are not that stupid or simple minded. How about adjusting your own vocabularies, instead of selling us this bullshit. Politically correct most of us fishermen aren't, ignorant homophobes, even more of us aren't. Nice try.

PS My younger sister is married to a woman. It may be hard to imagine, but if you look at percentages Zen, 2 out of every 10 people in your family are:::: (I'm not sure which word to use.:confused: )

15. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    I wasn't saying whether it was right or wrong, simply pointing out a fact. Over time, terms that change in meaning lose their ability to hurt. It's a natural progression of language. You don't think of the word "Quaker" as having any negative connations, but rest assured that it used to.

16. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    This side bar is gay. Can we get back on topic....

17. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:
    LOL:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

18. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:

:thumb: Aww c'mon. Neo-intellectual self-righteous chest thumping is so much damn fun.

Alright on-topic; people used to misjudge me as upstanding and clean-cut based off my appearance. Being a fly-angler only seemed to add to the issue. It really upset me, so I stopped shaving regularly, began wearing geeky t-shirts and stopped washing my jeans. For some reason that didn't entirely do the trick, so now I'm trying to decide on which of three tattoo's to get first: Njord, Yggdrasil, or a Valknut. I figure no one will be able to mistake me for a yuppy if I have a slobbering viking on my arm. It sucks to be judged by your appearance.

19. hbstriker

hbstriker Member

I grew up in Socal, surfed my whole life, so that surfer/skater style stayed with me, and continues to stay with with me in everything I do. It sucked when I wouldn't get help at shops in WA based on my attire, I definitly recieved less help than my roomate, who is from Ohio, and had a different, more conservative way of dressing, the shop owner looked suprised when it turned out I was the fly fisher, and not my roomate. That's one of the reason I shop at Sportsmans or online now, since some don't deserve my business. I would be considered very well dressed in any surfshop, beach or bar in socal. But I look like a punk on othe rivers or in stores in WA. My hat may be crooked sometimes, no bend in the bill, maybe a wild shirt or jacket, but i definitly am not a punk, and I feel that I appreciate fishing as a sport more than some of the people that look down there noses at me.

20. Brent Scott

Brent Scott New Member

Media:
    Blah, Blah,Blah- this forum topic is starting to become a political thing, just drop the subject and find something new to talk about.................:confused: :confused: :confused: :beathead: :beathead: :beathead: