Disturbing versus tonight

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Daryle Holmstrom, Mar 23, 2007.

1. martyg

martyg Active Member

Interesting thread. And I don't think that it is political at all but speaks to the health of fly fishing as an activity and its broad appeal.

So here's my two cents... I am also in the wingshooting world - and that world is dying partially because the population has one foot in the grave. Companies like Filson and Orvis are well aware of it and are actively looking at ways to broaden their appeal without alienating their core constituent. Look at the publications that service that community - like Shooting Sportsman who I write for - and you'll see a bunch of old white guys. Meanwhile, fly fishing seems to be attracting a young, more active demographic and that demographic is represented in media and advertising. I think that makes the message more inclusive rather than exclusive. Hopefully that will mean that in 10, 20, 40 years the resource will still have a strong advocatcy voice. Wingshooting, fine guns, habitat protection - probably not so much.

We all do ourselves a favor by inviting more people into our tribe than stereotyping them. Alienating people will only serve to harm our collective interests. I want people with piercings and tats and gays and lesbians and Asians and blacks - because it will make our collective voice stronger when policy issues come up, and make the marketplace healthier so we all enjoy a wide range of higher quality products with greater distribution.

As a side note, check "The Secret Lives of Salmon and Gangsters" out the Spring 2012 issue of The Drake. It is the best piece of writing that I have seen in a long time.

Jeff Sawyer likes this.
  2. Jeff Sawyer

Jeff Sawyer Active Member

Media:
  3. bigdood

bigdood fishing hack

Media:
    Home Page:
    Good post! I've got a theory - if the older generation understands the younger generation's music, style or slang than the younger generation is doing it wrong.

Lugan likes this.
  4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I think people that wear flat billed baseball caps are Dork's. At least they look that way to me.

I miss my crying simile.

Brady Burmeister likes this.
  5. Clay Carney

Clay Carney Member

The difference between people who have tatts and those who don't? People who have tatts don't care if you don't have them.

Craig Pablo and Jordan Simpson like this.
  6. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't have any tats. I never found anything that I wanted permanently stamped onto my body. Most of the tats I see on other people look like shit. No bother to me I could care less if you want cheezy artwork all over yourself.

7. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Media:
    I got no problems with tattoos, but I have to admit, I hold them in a different regard than I did when I was young. Tattoos used to mean you were in the military, a biker gang, prison, a hooker, maybe a pirate, or just a general badass. You didn't want to eff with somebody with a tattoo. I guess I liked it that way. There was some sort of sense that they earned it, either for good or bad reasons. Slowly it progressed to the point of Dave freaking Navarro judging a tattoo competition. I respect the art, but it no longer means you're tough as nails. It just means you are 18.

8. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

This! I have to admit, I sometimes reflexively look at "those damn kids these days" with a nanosecond of scorn. But then I remind myself that back in the 80's I was in a punk band with black hair and scary black clothing, and I'm pretty sure I looked scary to the 40-somethings of the era.

In other words, I was doin' it rite.

9. Jim Riggins

Jim Riggins Member

Most of the kids I take fishing have tats, I make them cover the gang tats when they are out with me as we are representing Clark County not red or blue but I'd rather take some of these kids out fishing with me than some up tight ass who worries about what somebody looks like and neither does the fish! Surprised Evan hasn't chimed in...

Jeff Sawyer likes this.
  10. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I used to think tatts meant somebody got really really drunk while on leave with their military buddies. Now I think self mutilation has become fashionable. As for gang tatts, I have a different perspective. I think gang tatts should be a shoot on sight indicator for LE. Gangs are of no value to society and a considerable liability. Making gang membership a capitol offense with no appeal works for me. Meanwhile I favor mandatory firearms training for all gang members in hopes they do a better job killing each other and hit fewer innocent bystanders during their drive by shootings. That's about the extent of my thoughts on tatts. What does this thread have to do with fishing?

11. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I'm callin b.s. on this Kerry, you don't want tats for the same reason as me. You don't want any identifing marks on your body in case the police have to come looking for you!!!!!

12. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Well put Kerry, well put.

13. kylemccurdy

kylemccurdy Member

Obviously someone gives a shit about old posts considering the amount of new posts in the thread since yesterday. I didn't see the age of the thread either, it just came up in a search and seemed interesting so i chimed in.

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Lots of people when doing a search don't look at the dates. If I was smarter than I thought I was, I would of never put anything else on this shitty subject and it would of died.

Being that I'm just an Old Man, I should of know better. Next time I see the dates on old posts I'm going to ignore them.

15. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Media:
    Just gotta ignore the old fool, I mean man. Its nice to get some posts dug up that can be relevant once more. He just wants that ticker to hit 20,000 so bad he will do whatever it takes!

16. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Not really, I got most of my post numbers by talking about fly fishing. But I did get a few by talking about shit like this post.

No more though.

17. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    <------------has Tattoos

<------------Had piercings

++<------------will still fish with those without tattoos or piercings....nuff said

18. JS

JS Active Member

Media:
    Where did the dislike button go? Like so many people on this board, I have tattoos also. I have gauged my ears to "0" which means there is about a quarter inch hole in my ear filled with a wooden plug. Does this mean if we see each other on the river, those of you who dislike that type of body modification would not swing a run with me? Well sounds great, and it's all for the best really. God knows that it would scar your young children for life if they saw a classic depiction of the Buddha on my left arm, or the jolly roger on my ribs.

19. JS

JS Active Member

Media:
    I keep getting riled up by these old posts, need to check dates before I reply. Stupid thread, anyways.

20. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

Media:
    wtf? is this really a five year long conversation between a bunch of dudes about jewelry and make-up? can't we at least judge each other for fishing related reasons?