Diver courtesy ?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Evan Burck, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,619 / 2
    SO today after my time at picnic point we headed up to mukilteo just to see how things were there. the two of us were there with only one other angler a few hundred yards down the beach, the rest completely emtpy. a van full of diving students showed up and made their way down to the water, and one large group of them surrounded the other fisherman and proceeded to get into the water right in front of him right where he was casting. the guy stared in disbelief, shook his head, and proceeded to leave in his truck. not 5 minutes later, another diver from the van walked right next to the girl i was fishing with, and put himself into right where she was casting where he sat for a bit, then swam his way right into where i was casting where he decided to sit again. he gave me a look like "what are you going to do about it" and i proceeded to ask why they couldn't use the rest of the open beach. that's when all hell broke loose and he starts dropping every heavy insult/curse word in the book at me, in front of the lady even. he threatened that i'd be sorry if he didn't have 150lbs of gear on.... then he ended his little session with "have fun fly fishing... FAGGOT!"

i was in disbelief... has anyone had similar experiences? is there a code of conduct between divers and fishermen that i should have followed? it was pretty apparent they were trying to provoke us, but i could be wrong.
  2. obiwankanobi Active Member

Ratings: +98 / 0
    Were these young guys or could you assess their age?
  3. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    probly late teens, early 20s. hard to tell when all you can see is part of their face. i'm sure the guy with anger management issues i dealt with was early 20s ish
  4. obiwankanobi Active Member

The only reason why I asked is that probably stands to reason why they might be volitile, due to being young punkasses. It is unsafe when you are alone to provoke more of a reaction out of someone and being that he was already in the water and ruined your opportunity to catch a fish in that area, a trip to the truck is advised. I personally would have done the same, but if it was mono e mono then things would have been different. I am though a registered "ass" when it comes down to someone disrespecting me or anyone I am with.
  5. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    yeah, i probably should have kept my mouth shut and walked off, but i was pretty upset that these guys just didn't care that they were ruining other people's trips to the water. i'm generally not one to provoke or try to start a confrontation, but this one pushed my buttons... and i have the problem of not really fearing a challenge from someone, mainly because to this day i have never had a problem holding my own. oh well, next time i'll just move on
  6. obiwankanobi Active Member

Throwing rocks in the water is your right as well. Hey you didn't know that those bubbles were from a diver, you thought they were from hiccuping fish!!!:rofl:
  7. Dizane Coast to Coast

Bellevue, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    I've always followed the rule "first in time, first in right".

What those divers did was ridiculous.
  8. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    i brought that up too... i said "last i checked, we were standing here long before you came along..." and he responded with an intelligently thought out rebuttal that started out with "you piece of sh*t........"

ridiculous indeed
  9. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Sorry to hear you got put through that. If you would have checked the van, might have led you to the store or club that was so inconsiderate and allowed you endless opportunities to express your displeasure.
  10. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    i never think about these things until after the fact :beathead:
  11. speyflyfisher Member

Ratings: +12 / 0
    Beersmith
    You sure you were fishing mukilteo not edmunds? The reason I ask is that I have never seen
    a diver at mukilteo and there is a dive park at edmunds. The amount of dive traffic you mention
    make me think it was the dive park at edmunds. I'm not sure of the rules about fishing the dive
    park but it would explain the attitude of the diver to sum degree.

Speyflyfisher
  12. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    it was definitely mukilteo, just there south of the ferry dock. north of picnic point, not south
  13. andyk Wannabe Senior Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Ha... that would've been funny...
  14. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Sorry, but you just ran into some rude SOBS. Why any rational diver would want to risk a rip into an expensive wet/dry suit or bouyancy compensator escapes me. Of course, if they didn't have a dive flag with them, I might have informed them that I would notify the coast guard of their lack of appropriate safety gear....

Steve
  15. seatownbrock Still in the 206.....

Burien, WA
    I have wondered the same question before. We were trolling off Alki during the EB opening last year and a guy went ape shit on us from the beach.... we were hundreds of yards from the nearest flag and a long way off the beach in the normal trolling path and this dude was jumping up and down like a maniac and waving his arms like the old matt fowley character on Sat night live and screaming "divers in the water"..... After a half dozen pabsts before 10am, we thought it was pretty funny! :beer2:
  16. bhudda heffe'

basement
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    T-14'S ALWAYS CLOSE BY:)
  17. wolverine Member

Everett, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    The divers at Muk usually go in the water between the motel and the old tank farm. They stay north of the ferry dock as big propellers & divers don't mix very well. I'd guess that they were not locals if they went in the water below the boat launch in the park. With humpy season in full force there is a lot of boat traffic close in to the park.
  18. griz72 New Member

Stanwood, WA
    RCW 77.15.210
    Obstructing the taking of fish, shellfish, or wildlife -- Penalty.
    (1) A person is guilty of obstructing the taking of fish[, shellfish,] or wildlife if the person:

(a) Harasses, drives, or disturbs fish, shellfish, or wildlife with the intent of disrupting lawful pursuit or taking thereof; or

(b) Harasses, intimidates, or interferes with an individual engaged in the lawful taking of fish, shellfish, or wildlife or lawful predator control with the intent of disrupting lawful pursuit or taking thereof.

(2) Obstructing the taking of fish, shellfish, or wildlife is a gross misdemeanor.

(3) It is an affirmative defense to a prosecution for obstructing the taking of fish, shellfish, or wildlife that the person charged was:

(a) Interfering with a person engaged in hunting outside the legally established hunting season; or

(b) Preventing or attempting to prevent unauthorized trespass on private property.

(4) The person raising a defense under subsection (3) of this section has the burden of proof by a preponderance of the evidence.
  19. obiwankanobi Active Member

I love this set of rules as it allows me to whip out my "asshole" card to anyone that disrupts me fly fishing (kayakers, divers, rock throwers)!!!:rofl:
  20. seatownbrock Still in the 206.....

Burien, WA
    Yeah I could see this going really far on the cedar.

"Bubba, let's throw rocks at the queer down there fishin,"
    "Please stop throwing rocks at me you are in violation of RCW 77.15.210 and I will call the police..."
    "Whats all them numbers, you some kinda queer....?"
    "No, I am just trying to fish and you are breaking the law by harassing me while I am legally trying to catch fish,"
    "ok, we's will quit,"

Bottle comes flying and breaks on the rocks and the hillbilly's laugh....

"I thought you said you would quit,"
    "We said we'd quit throwing rocks... that was a bottle ya queer."
    "I am calling the cops..."
    "Let's beat his ass bubba... get the bats outta the van!"