Do I really have a need?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Olive bugger, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +350 / 0
    For a 6 wt 9'6" fast action rod with a new disk drag reel?

Somebody talk me down here. It isn't even November and
    cabin fever may make me do something foolish.
  2. Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Lost in the woods.....
    Ratings: +166 / 0
    We always need more gear! ;)
  3. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Well, there is that.

That said, my wife has a very different point of view.

However, her point of view had seldom been a game changer.
    My collections of rods, reels, lines, flies and gear are a testament to that. I have gear that has never seen water. Shame on me.
    I have gear that is woefully short of working time. Maybe the fault lies within me. Naaaaa, it must be another reason.

I really do think that a nice new rod would be just the ticket to get me through until Christmas at least.
    Skysoldier likes this.
  4. Donald Johnson cuttman

Seaview WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    How many pairs of shoes does SHE have?
    Skysoldier likes this.
  5. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    I have never asked.
  6. Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Lost in the woods.....
    Ratings: +166 / 0
    I don't have gear that has never seen water but I do have some that only makes it out 2-3 times a year and I'm ok with that.

I agree that a new rod, reel or both is just what the doctor ordered for making a long winter day feel less gloomy :). I plan on ordering a new 2 or 3 and a 5wt glass rod over the winter time ;)
  7. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,397 / 0
    What's another rod or reel going to do for your collection. Nothing, If you feel the need go get it.
  8. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Well, I have been fondling my 8 wt and my 2 weight. I steer clear of my 5 wts because I will feel the need to fish them. So, if I had this 6 weight, I could fish it in the lake next door. Hmmmmmm.
    In the bye and bye perhaps I could just use the 5 wt and cogitate on the 6 wt. I get soooo confused.
  9. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,374 / 0
    No. If you have to ask us if you need a rod and reel, then obviously you don't know what the fuk you need, so you don't need it. The rule of thumb for anglers is that the number of rods needed equals however many you presently have, plus one. However, if that were applicable, there's no way you'd be asking us. Maybe it's a psychological issue and you're just seeking validation?

Sg
  10. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +532 / 0
    Go for it, Bro. Its only money. Ya only live once.:cool: I saw some surf the other day that could be more fun to ride on a board design that I don't yet own....:eek: Very small clean waves suitable for a radio controlled model surfer...or maybe a 10' "super tanker." Same problem as choosing a rod in fly fishing. Ya need an entire quiver of sticks so that you can choose the most appropriate one for the prevailing conditions. There is no end to it.
  11. Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +73 / 0
    Every year I say I have all the rods I need. Seems every year I get the itch and grab something. Last winter/spring it was a Redington 2wt (thanks Mr. Call) and a Sage LL 379.

The 2wt only saw water 2 or 3 times, the 379 had a few more trips and a couple large fish on it :).

Stew
  12. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ah yes, and perhaps you have put your thumb on the crux of the problem. Psychological issues! And you are correct in the statement that I do not know what I need. But the fact that I have a need, at least in my mind, that I need this 6wt rod, and a new reel to accompany it, speaks of my current psychological state.

Mental distress can lead to other disorders and perhaps for my health and well being, I should just jump on it. Thinking back on it, I was validated once before, but that was for parking at the local merchantile, so perhaps that is not a good issue for comparison.

Now to determine the length of the rod and the type of reel.....
  13. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,110 / 0
    Of course you don't need it. You don't need to be a flyfisher. You need food, water, shelter and most likely some manner of medication.

So, never, ever ask what you need because anything that has to do with flyfishing is not it.

However, if you want it, buy the danged rod and reel! I trust you already have everything you really "need". So lets just call it a "want" and be done with it.

Besides... a rod and reel are an asset. You can always sell them on down the line if you need to. Ask your wife if there's any chance she can sell her used shoes if she needs the money :)

(this is how you validate buying rods and reels -- they are not new toys but "assets")
    Steve Call and Olive bugger like this.
  14. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Hahahaha. If I posed that question to Mrs. Olive I would need to see the dentist. Fill in the gaps in my mouf.
  15. FLYFLICKER Chris

Vancouver, Washington
    Ratings: +11 / 0
  16. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    I have another addiction, called need more lense for the DSLR:)
  17. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +365 / 0
    Do your part to support the economy.
    plaegreid likes this.
  18. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA

YES! Buy more fly rods and fly reels.
  19. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,397 / 0
    I only have 5 rods that I use. I don't feel the need for anymore. I have two others but they don't get used. They sit around and collect dust. Just like your unused ones do.
  20. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +191 / 0
    A 9'6" 6wt is a very versatile rod....I'm sure you can figure out something to use it for ;)